home group is dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home group is dead

OK, need some help. I am not great on computer stuff... just enough to get by. In a past life, I was a UNIX and storage admin but Windows stuff not so much. In any case, I have to Lenovo desktops. One is in my home office and the other is in my shop office. AT&T gateway serves as a router and I have a range extender in my home office and an external antenna on the side of the shop (usb connect direct to desk top machine). Both machines are identical and running Win 10 Pro. This latest iteration of Windows dropped the "home group". I have shared all files on both computer and tried all online suggestions for how to get them to see each other and share files. I can't gain access in either direction except for the music library on each of the two computers.

I can "see" the home office workstation from where I am in the office and vise versa. Anyone have tips on how I can share files. I will not put my files in the cloud as I don't really trust the security of my files when they are out there in cyber space. Any help would be appreciated.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Easiest method would be to add a small NAS (network attached storage) device to serve as a private cloud device. That way... you can share anywhere on your network... and even access the files from anywhere but not worry about them being stored somewhere other than your personal network.

Western Digital sells a nice one...
    4TB home NAS / cloud for under $200

Search WD part #WDBVXC0040HWT-NESN on Amazon
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM.
    Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
    2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
    sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
    Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

I don't understand what is going on with this type set up. OK; have a storage device connected to my gateway (router) either wireless or ethernet. How do the two workstations connect to the drive if they can't talk to each other? Keep in mind that I am probably a tad out of date on tech; was on top of it circa mid-90s when a cloud was water vapor in the sky.
      wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

If both workstations are on the same network as the NAS... they can both access files on it. Even easier option would be to use a service like Google Cloud ... but that gets back to your comfort level of having documents in the public cloud.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
        sigpic

Comment

Does this gizmo attach to router via ethernet OR wireless? I am looking on eBay and it seems some do one or the other and some do both. BTW: I am a cheepskate.
          wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgeorge View Post
            Does this gizmo attach to router via ethernet OR wireless? I am looking on eBay and it seems some do one or the other and some do both. BTW: I am a cheepskate.
            It plugs directly into your router via a CAT5 / ethernet cable.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
            sigpic

Comment

Then the attached storage picks up an IP address from the router and my desk tops can see it and use it as if were onboard each of them? (I am hoping I understand this). Thanks, by the way.
              wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgeorge View Post
                Then the attached storage picks up an IP address from the router and my desk tops can see it and use it as if were onboard each of them? (I am hoping I understand this). Thanks, by the way.
                Yep. It will be visible as a network drive that you can access, save to, etc

There is also a pretty slick app that you can run that allows for remote access via mobile devices.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X