wifi question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wifi question

OK, we have AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet at the house. I have an AT&T gateway they also use for their cable internet (can't recall name). The thing works OK and I have switched to channel 11 which doesn't seem to have anyone within miles using. I have a range extender sitting about 5 feet from the gateway (can't remember make/model of that thing either). It has line of site to an external USB amplified antenna on my metal shop outside wall and comes into my shop via USB cable and directly into my only desktop PC. Today when I went to get on, couldn't access the internet well; it is connected but very slow and DNS times out for most sites. Signal strength looks crappy just looking at the bars on the little icon thing down on the left. I have a wi-fi tool and it says I am at about -20 dBm signal strength which should be giving me a GREAT icon. I have to remotely log into the gateway and reboot it and then everything comes back A-OK and normal.

Anyone have any idea why the signal is pretty good and it shows poor signal with the Windows icon yet has -20 dBm? Why does the desktop machine seem to get confused? I have tried flushing the DNS cache and stopping/restarting the Wi-Fi adapter and these things have zero effect; only rebooting the gateway helps. Wouldn't be so bad but it takes 5 minutes for the thing to get back in business.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

So does your internet come in wireless from a satellite or a nearby tower to a rooftop antenna with a receiver and then to a WIFI router/gateway via cat 5 cable or coax cable?
    How far from the router/gateway to the shop?
    Are there cat5 connectors on the router/gateway?

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

The wireless is line of sight off a cell tower on a frequency discrete from cell service. Goes down to my home office on coax; not sure what type but not RG-6 I think. The coax teminates in the wireless gateway that acts as a router. I have an extender in a window in the office with direct line of site up to my shop, about 75 yards away. The extender wifi signal is picked up by an amplified wifi outdoor antenna and it connects to my PC in my shop office via USB. There is an inline booster that the USB adapter plugs into. I have a Ralink adapter in the PC. A few months ago, previously had Hughesnet using the same extender and external antenna and didn't see the PC getting mad at the wifi every couple days.
      wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

I had something similar that was broadcast from a discreet tower 1 mile line of site from my house to an antenna on my roof. But the provider had a receiver in a box on the roof that output an internet signal via cat 5 cable to a box in my office. Periodically, I would have to reset that by killing the power to the box in the office for about a minute. Barely got 5Mb download speed.

It sounds like the AT&T Gateway may have developed some kind of problem. Does that Gateway get power from your house outlet? Can you take that in to their office and exchange it for a new one or have their service rep bring a new one to you?

Does your house internet go bad at the same time?

I finally got cable internet from a fiber optic cable that was laid in front of my house out here in the country about 2 years ago. Got a great deal. 5 years at $30 a Month, 60Mb download speed, 280GB per month data before any extra charge. My Cable Modem hangs once in a while and I reset it by shutting off the power for a minute and then let it go through it's reset routine. I did buy my own modem and got top of the line equipment. I've already saved the cost of the modem in rental charges.
        Last edited by ColoradoNative; 02-02-2019, 07:08 PM.

John
        LaPorte, Colorado
        2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

Comment

The AT&T gateway is plugged into a wall outlet for power. Not sure about replacing it. Internet out of gateway never degrades; only after it is pumped through the range extender with its own SSID and password.
          wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

From your initial post
            [QUOTE=wiredgeorge;n376949]

John
            LaPorte, Colorado

Comment

The forum ate my post! I'll eat lunch and do it over.

John
              LaPorte, Colorado

Comment

If the internet never degrades in the house, why do you reboot the gateway? That seems to point to something downstream from the gateway.

When you reboot the gateway remotely, do you do that via the WIFI setup you have set up to serve your shop from your remote PC? If so, that would seem to indicate that your extended WIFI setup is ok and something is haywire in the gateway.

The next time this happens, I would first go to the house and ensure that the WIFI is indeed working correctly there. That should rule out any problem with the gateway.

Troubleshoot each device separately including each cable and connector. When you are having trouble with your shop desktop, take a laptop outside the house in line with the range extender and log on to the range extender and determine how far you can still get a good signal as you retreat toward your shop. Swap out USB cables.
                Last edited by ColoradoNative; 02-02-2019, 11:43 PM.

John
                LaPorte, Colorado

Comment

Working...
                X