What photo program to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What photo program to use?

I have several freebe photo programs I have used to work on my photos but I am about ready to get a serious photo prg to start using. All you Photo bugs out there what do you use and why?

Later
    Dewayne
    Dewayne & Judy
    2006 Chev 2500 D/A, LBZ, CC, 4x4, SRW, SB
    2008 Cedar Creek 30RKTS W/3 slide
    PullRite 18k Superglide
    Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
    Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
    MudFlaps Camping Club link: http://mudflaps.freeforums.org/index.php

Originally posted by ldl View Post
    I have several freebe photo programs I have used to work on my photos but I am about ready to get a serious photo prg to start using. All you Photo bugs out there what do you use and why?

Later
    Dewayne
    I have used Adobe Photoshop Elements for many years. Got started as a downgraded version was included on a new Dell. It does everything I want to do, is reasonably priced, and the learning curve for photo editing programs is too steep for me to try to learn something else.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Judy and Joel,=Jfrow2

Comment

Originally posted by jfrow2 View Post
      I have used Adobe Photoshop Elements for many years. Got started as a downgraded version was included on a new Dell. It does everything I want to do, is reasonably priced, and the learning curve for photo editing programs is too steep for me to try to learn something else.
      I have photo shop as well, got it with my camera. Still have not figured out all the stuff it will do
      sigpic
      PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
      2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ldl View Post

Later
        Dewayne
        What is it you're wanting to do?

If you want a lot of editing functionality for free and don't mind a bit tedious user interface, I recommend giving GIMP a shot.
        Tim, wife Beverly, & two boys who love RV'ing
        2005 Sunnybrook 30FKS Dual Cam HP
        2002 Suburban K2500 8.1L 4.10 Prodigy

Comment

I have been using the free versions of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Elements. Been thinking about buying a program like Corel or something not as expenxive as Adobe.
          Papa Bob
          2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
          2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
          Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
          Champion C46540

Comment

I want something user friendly and with not to many exotic features.
            2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
            06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
            16K DrawTite, LineX
            His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
            Elle and BJ

In the past:
            97 27RKFS SB
            04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

What do you want it to do? I assume crop, resize, color correct....the basics.

Elements is a very powerful program and reasonably priced for what you get. It does 80% of what Photoshop does, once you remove the ability to work in the CMYK color space (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black). Photographers don't use CMYK, they use RGB (Red, Green, Blue). RGB is additive, CMYK is subtractive. Only offset printers use CMYK. Elements doesn't recognize the CMYK color space. I know - :Scratch-Head::Scratch-Head::Scratch-Head:

So, back to reality! :snapshot:

Even Elements has more than 90% of people will want to use, however, it's relatively simple to learn. I'm sure there are good, simpler programs for less money, I just don't know what they are.

I live in Photoshop, but I'm a professional shooter and it's what I know.
              2002 Excursion V10
              2006 SunnyBrook Sunset Creek 298BH
              Reese Dual-Cam
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoJoe View Post
                Even Elements has more than 90% of people will want to use, however, it's relatively simple to learn. I'm sure there are good, simpler programs for less money, I just don't know what they are.

I live in Photoshop, but I'm a professional shooter and it's what I know.
                Simple to learn???????? Maybe for you, but not for me. I would agree it is simple if you use just the automated features, but when you go beyond that and do manual editing, especially with layers, it does get a little difficult.

If anyone still has Windows XP, MS PictureIt is a great program but, it does not work well with Vista.
                Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Judy and Joel,=Jfrow2

Comment

jfrow wrote:
                  If anyone still has Windows XP,
                  I'll never give up my XP. (at least until Windows 7 is debugged)

Bud
                  Bud and Liz
                  2009 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually
                  2004 Carriage Compass 30RLS
                  B&W Companion, Tru Control
                  Schnauzer- Sir Winston

Comment

The best photo editing software I've used that's really simple for all the basics is PhotoImpact by Ulead. I'm sure it'll do everything you want to do and more and it's the best user interface I've used.

Highly recommended.

If you want free there's always IrfanView.
                    Tim, wife Beverly, & two boys who love RV'ing
                    2005 Sunnybrook 30FKS Dual Cam HP
                    2002 Suburban K2500 8.1L 4.10 Prodigy

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoJoe View Post
                      Elements is a very powerful program and reasonably priced for what you get. It does 80% of what Photoshop does, once you remove the ability to work in the CMYK color space (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black). Photographers don't use CMYK, they use RGB (Red, Green, Blue). RGB is additive, CMYK is subtractive. Only offset printers use CMYK. Elements doesn't recognize the CMYK color space.
                      you lost me on CMYK:Scratch-Head:ccrash:
                      sigpic
                      PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                      2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by tluxon View Post
                        If you want free there's always IrfanView.
                        I take a lot of photos at work and have found Irfanview does a great job. I've tried other programs and keep coming back to Irfanview.

It is pretty simple to use. But, you can do some complex stuff with it.

Check it out.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide
                        Russell
                        '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                        '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                        Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                        '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
                          I take a lot of photos at work and have found Irfanview does a great job. I've tried other programs and keep coming back to Irfanview.

It is pretty simple to use. But, you can do some complex stuff with it.

Check it out.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

add me in support of Russell's recommendation .... on TV there is a commercial where they say it is so easy a caveman can do it .... this program is so simple that even I can do it .... the message is pretty much the same

Jim
                          Jim
                          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I guess you guys though I abandon this thread but I didn't. Last week was a busy one. Worked late a couple of days. That is very unusual for us. Friday my GS had his tonsils and adenoids removed and one of his eardrums patched where a tube put in about 2 yrs ago didn't come out. He is ok now.

I have Irferview and used it to make the panorama in my sig but haven't done anything else with it. Actually haven't done anything with any pictures in a while. I have been just downloading them into my computer and going back later when I think of it and sort them to their respective directories.

I also downloaded GIMP but havent had a chance to even open it.

You guys made me start thinking. I don't really know what I want to do with them.
                            I probably got all I need already just need to use it. :whistle:

Before my computer got the virus and I had to start over I had downloades several vidioes from my camcorder and was trying to edit them but when I went to make the movie I didn't have room to process it and because of memory issues I deleted them figuring I could start over when I got my computer back up. I havent got around to that eather. There goes that round tuet again. :doh:
                            I bought a 650g external HD so I now have the storage necessary to do this.

Later
                            Dewayne
                            Dewayne & Judy
                            2006 Chev 2500 D/A, LBZ, CC, 4x4, SRW, SB
                            2008 Cedar Creek 30RKTS W/3 slide
                            PullRite 18k Superglide
                            Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
                            Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
                            MudFlaps Camping Club link: http://mudflaps.freeforums.org/index.php

Comment

I download with Nikon's program because it keeps all pics sequentially numbered and all the exif info from first day I got the camera.

I almost exclusively shoot in raw and use Raw Shooter to pre-process and convert to Paint Shop Pro for final processing, (very similar to Photo Shop which I would rather have but not willing to start over learning a new program yet).

I save most files in NEF, (Nikons raw), Tiff lossless, jpeg for posting, and Paint Shop for later reworks or printing.

This takes up a lot of drive space but I don't have to go back later and try to recreate something I did two years ago to print it.

Also I use a 19 inch 22 dot pitch Trinitron CRT flatscreen monitor for processing instead of the LCD screen I useually use for everything else.

I use ACD SEE for a viewer as it is much faster than the other programs I use for processing.

greg
                              Attached Files
                              greg

2014 Ford Super Duty Diesel Platinum Package Tuxedo black
                              2014 Landmark Grand Canyon
                              Propride 3P to make it all play nice together :applause:
                              1997 Jayco Eagle gone but great camping memories not forgotten!

2011Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS "Never liked that TT"

Comment

Working...
                              X