No announcement yet.

What photo program to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen some camera's info talk about RAW but never looked into it because our camera doesn't do RAW. What is it? I guess I could look up on internet but haven't had a reason to yet.

My DW likes to take pictures and I bought her a Minolta 600 SLR several yrs ago. She does pretty good with it. She has done the wedding pictures for a few friends with it. We have a couple of lens for the Minolta and the Sony Alpha series cameras will accept these lens so I was thinking of getting the Sony Alpha 300 or 350 because of this feature.

I found out yesterday that Sony bought out Minolta and just put their nome on it so that is why it will accept the Minolta lens.

I have another post where I asked if anyone one had used this camera and thought on it.

Later
    Dewayne
    Dewayne & Judy
    2006 Chev 2500 D/A, LBZ, CC, 4x4, SRW, SB
    2008 Cedar Creek 30RKTS W/3 slide
    PullRite 18k Superglide
    Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
    Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
    MudFlaps Camping Club link: http://mudflaps.freeforums.org/index.php

Comment

Raw is exactly what the sensor captured without any corrections for white balance, contrast , color and so on. It's not compressed like jpeg so is a lossless format keeping every pixel thus it's a much larger file.

greg
      greg

2014 Ford Super Duty Diesel Platinum Package Tuxedo black
      2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS

Propride 3P to make it all play nice together :applause:
      1997 Jayco Eagle gone but great camping memories not forgotten!

2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 CC served me well but traded away.

Comment

Originally posted by ldl
        We have a couple of lens for the Minolta and the Sony Alpha series cameras will accept these lens so I was thinking of getting the Sony Alpha 300 or 350 because of this feature.
        Make sure the lens are completely compatible. I switched from Minolta to Nikon on my last film SLR. I have other lens for the Nikon and they fit the Nikon digital SLR but the auto focus and metering don't work. Also my new lenses have the vibration reduction in the lens.

My point is make sure all functions will work on the new camera so your not choosing a camera on false expectations when a better SLR may be available at a better price with accessories more available at better prices.

greg
        greg

Comment

Can a raw picture be viewed on any viewer or does it have to be converted first. Why would you want a picture in the raw format? I am a dummy about this. I guess I will have to bone up on this cause the camera I am thinking about for DW can shoot in RAW.

On edit I guess you can review the pictures on camera in RAW can't you?

Later
          Dewayne
          Dewayne & Judy
          PullRite 18k Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
            Make sure the lens are completely compatible. I switched from Minolta to Nikon on my last film SLR. I have other lens for the Nikon and they fit the Nikon digital SLR but the auto focus and metering don't work. Also my new lenses have the vibration reduction in the lens.

My point is make sure all functions will work on the new camera so your not choosing a camera on false expectations when a better SLR may be available at a better price with accessories more available at better prices.

I see what you are saying Greg.

greg
            Is there any advantage to to vib correction being in lens or in camera?
            Sometimes when I read the info on these cameras I don't know what I am reading. I was choosing the Sony because of the lens cross over with Minolta. Lit says they will work. Yesterday I went to Best Buy and tried the lens on the camera and DW says they work but didn't or couldn't take a picture because there was no card in it.

I really have no preference at this time because i have never used one or talked to anyone that has and can tell me the difference. I bought the Minolta at the time because it was the highest rated camera at the time not necessarly because I knew what I was doing. I wanted DW to have a good camera and it was suppose to be one of the best in our price range and recommended to me by a friend.

That being said I am open to any suggestions about cameras. I know most people have a favorite that use cameras much so what are they? Please limit suggestions to the digital SLR's as that is what I am interested in in the $500 to $1000 range.

Later
            Dewayne

I
            Dewayne & Judy
            PullRite 18k Superglide

Comment

There is an advantage to VR in the camera as opposed to the lens in that all lenses on that camera have VR and the lenses generally would be cheaper than having the VR in the lens. Nikons is in the lens.

At this time it appears for the last few years Cannon and Nikon are the better systems and if I were to start over I think I would go with the Cannon.

The advantage to shooting in raw as opposed to jpeg is in the post processing and printing because you haven't lost any pixels or changed anything before you down load the file and can make all your own adjustments instead of the camera choosing for you based on a program.

The RAW file can be viewed by some viewers before conversion if they are compatible, (most can't). I down load with the Nikon software and open with Raw Shooter, (a free program), and can view and do some pre-processing.

greg
              Last edited by greg; 05-12-2009, 05:46 PM.
              greg

Comment

I would describe the difference between RAW and Jpg as the difference between negatives and chromes(slides). You can "develop" the raw, as you would a negative to print in the darkroom. Working from the original, you can affect exposure, contrast, color, etc with no loss. If you shoot jpg in the camera, it's compressed and throws away data that it doesn't think you need. That limits what you can do and how well you can do it when processing later.

Make sense?
                2002 Excursion V10
                2006 SunnyBrook Sunset Creek 298BH
                Reese Dual-Cam
                sigpic

Comment

I am beginning to understand what you are talking about.

When you shoot in the RAW format can you review the pictures on the camera LCD screen?
                  If you were shooting pictures that you knew you wouldn't be enlarging would it be better to shoot JPG?
                  Can you switch formats from one picture to the next or is that impractical?

Jo, Greg, you guys seem to be knowledgeable about cameras what is your opinion of the Sony cameras? I seem to be leaning toward the Sony because of the lens issue. Only one person responded about a Sony.

Sorry for so many questions but If I am going to spent that much money I want to know all I can about them. Just be patient with me as I am the type of fellar that will ask a lot and often stupid questions if I don't understand about something.

Later
                  Dewayne
                  Dewayne & Judy
                  PullRite 18k Superglide

Comment

Too be honest I don't have an opinion on the Sony/Minolta cameras as I have not looked at or read about cameras for quite some time now, so I don't know the quality,durability or dedication to staying in the SLR digital market long term for Sony where lenses,support, software updates, compatibility and support with other programs could be issues.

You un fortunately will have to continue the research, guess and hope for the best after you purchase.

Sorry that was no help at all!

Joe ????????????????

greg
                    greg

Comment

Lightroom is my choice. Powerful editing and user friendly interface. Totally agree with Joe on shooting RAW. While I use Canon equipment I know of those who have totally made the switch to Sony. The mirrorless bodies are smaller and lighter yet lens choices are still readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Stan & Diane Nations
                      2014 Big Country 3650RL
                      2012 Ram 3500 DRW
                      sigpic

stan.nations@gmail.com

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Lightroom is what I use. I have Nikon cameras and lenses but what I see used most often is Cannon. For wildlife I use a 55 to 300mm zoom but then I see a cloud or a valley and sit down and change back to a 10 to 24mm lense. Drives me nuts.
                        2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                        2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                        B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Originally posted by eldermike View Post
                          Lightroom is what I use. I have Nikon cameras and lenses but what I see used most often is Cannon. For wildlife I use a 55 to 300mm zoom but then I see a cloud or a valley and sit down and change back to a 10 to 24mm lense. Drives me nuts.

I hate changing lenses in the field. I'd rather look like a photo geek with camera bodies hanging everywhere than change a lens in the field. Not n issue right now, I dropped my 16-35 f/2.8L and broke the mount right off! 😥 still waiting to hear from Canon.

Stan & Diane Nations
                          2014 Big Country 3650RL
                          2012 Ram 3500 DRW
                          sigpic

stan.nations@gmail.com

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by stan.nations View Post
                            I hate changing lenses in the field. I'd rather look like a photo geek with camera bodies hanging everywhere than change a lens in the field. Not n issue right now, I dropped my 16-35 f/2.8L and broke the mount right off! 😥 still waiting to hear from Canon.

Trying to talk the wife into another frame but also trying to justify going deeper into crop sensor or buy a full frame for normal and wide angle and keep crop sensor for zooms.
                            2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                            2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                            B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Working...
                            X