Lithium Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Batteries

prior to leaving on our current trip, Maureen installed a couple of lithium AA batteries in her digital camera .... prior to that time we were literally buying large cards a what I thought were good batteries at Sam's .... we have literally taken hundreds of pictures on this trip and those batteries are still going .... they have slowed down a bit in the recovery time it takes for the camera to be ready to take the next picture, specially when the flash is being used so they are apparently finally on the way down .... I've been so impressed with them that we have already purchased replacements .... while looking for those batteries I found some made by Energizer which are advertised to last 4 times longer and some 8 times longer than the standard Energizer (which I thought were good batteries) .... a couple of questions come to mind: 1. with a 15 year storage shelf life, do these batteries present the same corrosion potential if they leak inside of a whatever you are using them in 2. it seems to me that the most expensive ones (rated 8 times longer life) are really the best buy, is that correct

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Just don't store them in heat.
    Papa Bob
    2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
    2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
    Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
    Champion C46540

Comment

Originally posted by tvman44 View Post
      Just don't store them in heat.
      how high is too high ?

Jim
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        how high is too high ?

Jim
        The ones we use only leak when you leave them in for a long period without using that item.
        Like my extra set of speakers for the laptop.
        Have seen battries that say no leak on the wrapper.
        Maybe it was coppertops.
        Lee
        Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
        Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
        04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
        07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
        16K Pullrite Super Slide
        2006 Excel 30RSO
        All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

I would think that you would buy a new camera before any of the new batteries would leak? I haven't seen a brand-name battery leak so for so long, I actually can't remember seeing one.
          Joe
          '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
          '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
          '10 F450 4x4--new to me
          First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
          Livin to go campin
          In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut60 View Post
            I would think that you would buy a new camera before any of the new batteries would leak? I haven't seen a brand-name battery leak so for so long, I actually can't remember seeing one.
            Joe

I don't either .... haven't personally had a battery leakage problem in any appliance for many years

Jim
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Jim have you looked around to see if they make a recharge pack for your camera? I got a combo when I got my easy share where it came with 2 recharge packs and a charger for under 40 bucks. It charges the battery pack in ruffly an hr. In the long run it's cheaper. Yes upfront cost is a bit more but I don't have to worry about getting the special long lasting batteries either. Altho mine do last for an extremely long time.

What kind of camera is it? Most major brands have the ability to have a battery charger set used.
              08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
              2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
              2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
              hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

Maureen's camera is made by Cannon .... over the years I've bought several battery chargers (must have 3 in the camper right now) and who knows how many rechargeable batteries .... I've never had good luck with them .... would you happen to know if these new Lithium rechargeables require a special charger or not

Jim
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I also bought lithium batteries and am impressed. Like you hundreds of pictures and still strong. I will not buy any more rechargeables. I had alkeline batteries in my other camera and they leaked. I was talking to my sister about it because she used to work for Duracell and she told me I had the batteries in wrong. When I checked she was right there was a battery put in wrong. She told me to us a Qtip and vinegar to clean it up. The vinegar works good at cleaning the contacts. The camera is a Nikon f401 that I never had any luck with from new.

Comment

I think the rechargeable lithium batteries are much different then your standard rechargeable batteries. We use to have rechargeable basic type batteries for a lot of Coles toys over the years. It was a large bulky multi battery charger from everything from AAA to large D and even a few 9volt spots. Anyways we use to charge those ruffly a dozen times of so and have to get replacement rechargeable batteries. But not so with these lithium type. I passed on my old camera set up to Davids mom when I got my new camera last year that camera is ruffly 5 years old and its still got the rechargeable battery in it. Altho it charges off a base the camera sits on instead of removing the battery pack for charging like my current camera. I use my current camera a lot of videos of Cole racing. So the camera runs for anywhere to 5 to 10 minutes catching video at a time and we get multiple race days on one charge. Actually I can tell you that I have not charged my batteries since April 3rd. The weekend before camping seasons started. I charged and started a fresh for both Bill's birthday and Coles winter series banquet. Its made it thru our beach trip as well as 2 weekends of racing and the hill video and photos from fallsburg.

I have always thought the key with the lithium is letting them die before charging again. Or almost die. Thats why I invested in the double pack.
                    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories

Comment

[QUOTE=kemo;103900] She told me to us a Qtip and vinegar to clean it up. The vinegar works good at cleaning the contacts. QUOTE]

Hadn't considered using vinegar on the contacts.
                      I will give that a try to see if it will clean up things a little better.
                      The walkie talkie's have gone bad too.
                      We hardly ever use them.

I bought them so when we go in one of those big stores, I always seem to want to go one direction while Mamie goes the other.

Course I'm looking for the good stuff ( beef jerky ) and she goes for other stuff she needs like another purse or shoes ( boring.)
                      But I did get tired of going up and down every aisle looking to find her.
                      It would be easier if she wore elevator shoes.
                      Gonna try vinegar now.
                      Lee
                      16K Pullrite Super Slide
                      2006 Excel 30RSO
                      All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Lee have you ever thought about using the cell phone to call her? Walkie talkies are so out dated. .... Just kidding. Most of the places we go camping the kids strap a walkie to the bike when they leave the site. Mostly b/c our camping spots have no cell phone service. (just the way i like it)

Comment

Originally posted by muddy princess sara View Post
                          Lee have you ever thought about using the cell phone to call her? Walkie talkies are so out dated. .... Just kidding. Most of the places we go camping the kids strap a walkie to the bike when they leave the site. Mostly b/c our camping spots have no cell phone service. (just the way i like it)
                          We do have one cell phone.
                          Both vechicles have phone built into them.
                          Plus 2 phones in the house, connected to our cable service.
                          Five is enough for anyone.

And there is no subscription from Walkies.
                          Lee
                          16K Pullrite Super Slide
                          2006 Excel 30RSO
                          All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Jim most chargers have a switch on them that says Ni-cad or lithm......
                            Jim and Ruby
                            U S Navy RET
                            2007 Dodge 3500 Cummins, Auto 6 Spd.
                            Jake Brake, Hensley Tru-Brake Controller
                            2008 Bighorn 3055RL # 9748
                            Rieco-Titan levelers

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyt5 View Post
                              Jim most chargers have a switch on them that says Ni-cad or lithm......

interesting .... our chargers are several years old, have no clue if they have a switch .... it would make sense to me that since there is a switch something must be different

Jim
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                              X