No announcement yet.

Recalculating: GPS leads truck driver onto foot bridge in Milwaukee’s Lake Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recalculating: GPS leads truck driver onto foot bridge in Milwaukee’s Lake Park

taken from this link where video is available :

you know you've had a bad day when :

"MILWAUKEE (WITI) — This is one time when it appears technology may have failed — unless it was operator error. The Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office says a truck driver from Indiana was following his GPS — when he drove over a pedestrian bridge in Milwaukee’s Lake Park on Tuesday, November 11th — and got stuck.

Officials say the 50-year-old semi driver from New Whiteland, Indiana drove his semi tractor with a 53-foot trailer over a pedestrian walkway at Lake Park around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. The truck damaged several trees, both pedestrian bridges and the adjacent concrete railings. The truck came to a rest on the peninsula behind the lighthouse at Lake Park.

The driver was taken to a local hospital to be medically evaluated. He was later cited with Reckless Driving and Failure to Obey Signs totaling $579.80 in fines. Ray’s Towing Company was hired to remove the truck from the area.

Both bridges were inspected by a county structural engineer, who reported that they were safe for pedestrian travel.

By 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, the rig was removed — but before that happened, Steve Orth had to come down and see what happened for himself.

“It’s not something you’re going to see every day. You’ve got to be totally embarrassed though! It’s mind-boggling either way! It says on the truck ‘we drive a fine line,’ and I think that’s fabulous,” Orth said.

Laurie Muffler came to the scene from Oconomowoc on Wednesday — wondering how the century-old bridges held up under the truck’s weight.

“I mean, the semi is huge! But they built (the bridges) well back then,” Muffler said.

We’re told the semi wasn’t hauling anything when it became stuck."

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

My GPS tried to send me on a sandy very narrow 4 wheeler track in Nevada.
    they are not infallible so my standard procedure is to check the route before driving into something that might be impassable.

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

The GPS tries to take folks over a narrow, dirt road suitable for 4 wheel drive near the Medina Lake Thousand Trails. We were warned by friends who did do a 4wd over it without their camper. GPS is not infallible!

Comment

It sure can't help someone like that truck driver...no cure for stupidity.
        Joe
        '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
        '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
        '10 F450 4x4--new to me
        First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
        Livin to go campin
        In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut60 View Post
          It sure can't help someone like that truck driver...no cure for stupidity.
          Joe
          :agree:

Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
          2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Even the GPS does not actually drive the truck. Poor soul!
            2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
            06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
            16K DrawTite, LineX
            His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
            Elle and BJ

In the past:
            97 27RKFS SB
            04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
            X