Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone still use a dedicated GPS unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone still use a dedicated GPS unit?

Getting ready for our one day run down to Columbus, NC tomorrow. I was thinking about getting the GPS out. Then I thought, why do that? There will be 4 phones in the Suburban, everyone of them with GPS and maps. If there is an accident or whatever and traffic backs up, it will automatically route us to the quickest route.

Just curious if anyone still runs a dedicated unit and if so why? I think I'm either going to see if I can sell mine at our next yard sale or just pitch them. It's a shame, I thought they were the coolest thing when they came out and couldn't wait until I got mine....now like so many other things, the smart phone has made them useless.:stir:
    Jim
    2009 Jayco 32BHDS
    1999 Chevrolet 1500 ECSB 4x4

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

that would be me ..:salute:.. whatever vehicle I'm in, our Garmin will be in
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We use a Randy McNally RV GPS while towing and usually also run Google maps on my phone. The RV GPS won't route me on roads with underpasses I won't clear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
      Russell
      '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
      '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
      Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
      '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Rv gps

Those are the important letters, there is the protection of having a GPS that is programmed for RVing.
        Westwind
        Rhode Island
        2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
        2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
        Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
        2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
        2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
        Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
        sigpic

Comment

I like my Garmin, do not like smart phones but even if I did I would still prefer my Garmin.
          Papa Bob
          2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
          2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
          Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
          Champion C46540

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
            We use a Randy McNally RV GPS while towing and usually also run Google maps on my phone. The RV GPS won't route me on roads with underpasses I won't clear.

That is why you download an app like Smart RV app. You get all the benefits of the real time Google Map updates/traffic, but you can also program it with your height and length and it will use that route to direct you.
            Jim
            2009 Jayco 32BHDS
            1999 Chevrolet 1500 ECSB 4x4

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Comment

I use my phone exclusively, however, I'm not comfortable using WAZE when towing. Yesterday I was heading for a sales call down south of Hollywood. That app took me down streets that were barely wide enough for one vehicle...and they were two way streets! One feature that I miss from my Garmin is setting a destination point, then searching for something like "gas/along my route". I haven't found that feature on any of the phone apps yet.

My favorite app is actually Google Maps, simply because it's extremely clear as to what lane you have to be in for an upcoming interchange. Also a feature I had on the old Garmin.
              2002 Excursion V10
              2006 SunnyBrook Sunset Creek 298BH
              Reese Dual-Cam
              sigpic

Comment

I'll stick to my Garmin 760. Once in a while it will take a round about way but for the most part is is spot on, can't say the same for the navigation in my truck, it's is worthless as far as I am concerned, that and they want $160 every time you update the maps, if it had not come with the truck I would have never got it.
                sigpic
                PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

We have Garmin in each of the 5 cars. My wife and I both have the 5 inch models that can be had as refurbs for a little over $100. I have Waze and Copilot on my phone, but I just like the Garmin interface the best.

I do like Waze in traffic jams - nothing like talking to hundreds of pissed off people when the accident is on the other side of the freeway.
                  2006 Ford E-350 V-10, 4.10, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Maxbrake Controller
                  2013 Jayco Eagle 324-BTS, 36 Ft, 925 Tongue Weight, 8,000lbs, Henley Hitch

Comment

My Problem Also

My truck GPS is fine when your not towing, but I do not trust it for one second with the Bighorn. It could have gotten me into trouble but I was familiar with the route and knew that trucks etc. were not allowed on Merritt Parkway in New York, shortest way.
                    yes, but definitely the wrong way. It only allows cars, it has extremely low overpasses.
                    Westwind
                    Rhode Island
                    sigpic

Comment

Iphone apps are too small for my tired eyes. I prefer the 7" screen on my GPS.
                      Clif and Millie
                      Mabank, TX (sorta)
                      2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
                      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                      2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

I tried a couple apps for my iPad and the routing was not up to what I get from my Garmin. The built in GPS in my car has tried to send me off on some routes that I didn't want to travel and on top of that, they want $150 to update the maps.

John
                        LaPorte, Colorado
                        2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

The built in GPS in my wife's Yukon was so poor it convinced me not to get one in in my Sierra 3500HD.

Russell
                          '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                          '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Comment

Was In It

My 2015 3500 had one in it, I originally turned away from the truck but after spending a month looking for a Chevy/GMC in New England and find nothing but loaded Denali's I gave up got a good deal and bought it. While snowbirding in Florida it has come in handy. But I just checked on an update and GM wants
                            over $150 - that upgrade is not in my future for sure, I'll put the money towards a Garmin for RV's.
                            Westwind
                            Rhode Island
                            sigpic

Comment

Don't rule out the Rand McNally RV GPS units. They recently introduced a cool tablet GPS that runs on Android OS and a handy magnetic mount.

Russell
                              '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                              '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X