No announcement yet.

AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIber optic internet install OCTOBER 2nd! Bandera Electric has an engineer come out and make install drawings. Had a chance to chat with him a couple weeks ago when he came out and they are doing 30-40 installs a day so he told me at that time it would be 3-4 weeks after the drawing was submitted. The coop is relatively small and they have a small team that do this work. On Oct. 3rd or so, will cut all ties with my beloved AT&T although the fixed wireless internet service has been dandy. The fiber internet will allow me to run a VPN (couldn't do it on AT&T fixed wireless internet. The VPN will allow me to pick up San Antonio Spurs games as if local (no delay) when I pay for NBA Gametime. This is necessary because Dish and Fox Southwest are still in a contest and Dish claims Fox wants too much money so the impasse remains. Since this time of year is kind of a lull, they may get serious about working this stuff out prior to NBA season... hopefully.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

Well Bandera Electric Coop sent out their contract installers. They pulled a wire from the power pole out on the road to the intermediate on our property and then to our house. Fella crawled under the house and pulled it to the outside wall and it comes up into my office using the same penetration as did the AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet. The service is a bit slower but no latency to speak of. We were in the mid 30s mb/ps with AT&T and are now at about 27 mb/ps. We have unlimited usage with no throttling and it is about half the price. Work was done professionally and in a reasonable amount of time. Service is good so far.

I called AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet tech line and spoke with a gal in San Antonio. Paid my final bill which was due on the 15th anyway and we parted ways very professionally. Gal was a native English speaker (surprise). We no longer have phones, sat TV or internet with AT&T i the span of a couple months. The Fixed Wireless Internet was the only one I was pleased with but the BEC fiber was too good to pass up. If we find we need or want more speed, it is a phone call away and not much more expensive. Internet is now a whole lot cheaper than when I used my AT&T 4G LTE hot spot with 32 gigs of data at about $130 a month. Happy camper here!
      wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

good to hear that y'all are pleased with the new install .... looking forward to hearing your assessments down the line as you put it through its paces
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Kinda makes you wonder how they can provide a service like you got for the money your paying and for unlimited data. Good deal for you. I think going forward people are going to be demanding unlimited data as everything we do anymore demands it’s use.
          David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
          2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
          Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
          5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
          Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
          Externabond Roof Seams
          Wet Bolt Kit
          7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
          GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
          Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

Originally posted by Bkins View Post
            Kinda makes you wonder how they can provide a service like you got for the money your paying and for unlimited data. Good deal for you. I think going forward people are going to be demanding unlimited data as everything we do anymore demands it’s use.
            To be honest, we did binge watch TV shows on Netflix while using AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet but never came anywhere near our 235 gig monthly allowance. Now if you are gaming or a real heavy streaming user (like relying on Sling for your TV), that might use the allowance but we never did.

It took me awhile yesterday to get my shop computer internet connection sorted out. I use an extender to take the home based router internet up the hill a few hundred feet away to my computer in my shop. Finally figured it out. Get 27 mb/ps in my home office near the router and 24-25 mb/ps through the extender. I am using an external marine usb wifi omni directional antenna at the shop. I know that the omni doesn't give the same signal strength as the directional Card King I previously used but I am still getting on average about 25 dBm which is fine for my use. The current antenna is totally waterproof and better quality than the card king where all the metal parts that had been chromed had turned to rust.
            wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

I wasn’t aware that home services were out there that allowed you that many gig. I have no idea how many we use and haven’t looked, yet, for a app that tracks such a thing. I should look for one just to get a idea how much we are using on our hotspot and how big a jump ytube tv entails.
              Externabond Roof Seams
              Wet Bolt Kit
              7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Comment

Whichever telco provides data for your hotspot allows you to log into your account and it will have a data usage feature.
                wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Yes I’ll have to going searching for it. We’ve never been concerned in the past but it’s more of a interest item at this point.

I did finally sign sign up for ytube TV. Watched it for about 6 hours yesterday. The position of the hotspot is important. I have a signal booster that we’ve used with the hotspot. It seems that the Roku device doesn’t play well with it. We are also trying to determine if Verizon is playing games with signal strength between 5-6:30. Our signal dropped in that time frame. I’m going to have to read what they say about it or, dread, make a call. It amazes me this works at all but it does. I think part of the problem is that we sit down in a valley and as such we don’t get as strong a signal. Our cell phones have a minimal signal depending on where we are on our property.
                  Externabond Roof Seams
                  Wet Bolt Kit
                  7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Comment

I hear your pain, We live in the TX Hill Country and there are hills and canyons all around us. When we first moved out here, we did emails using a modem via the telephone line connected to our computer. We are on a common distribution box a mile or two up the hill from us. We could hardly do email and asked the phone guy to switch us to a higher speed port on the switch and that helped but still only email. Governor Perry promised all the country folk high speed internet so AT&T paired with a sat internet company called Wildblue and we finally got real internet (sort of). Wildblue was not good. A company called Cascom set up a radio internet send tower up at the top of the hill and we got our first taste of high speed internet. 2 mbs/sec or something lame like that but we could now watch youtube videos on LOW LOW resolution. It was pretty reliable and there was no data cap. Owner of the building the tower was on who leased the building to the owner saw the antenna and went nuts and they moved the antenna about 100 feet away and we lost that service. We went with AT&T using a hot spot. 32 gigs of data for over $130 a month. We then tried Hughes sat internet and that was not as expensive but download rates dropped in the evenings when everyone was streaming but we could stream netflix although there was a lot of buffering. Along came AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet and it was a great solution. 235 gigs of data at over 30 mb/sec and we could stream Netflix easily and NOW fiber internet via Bandera Electric Coop. It has been a long road.

We still live in the country but San Antonio is creeping out this way.
                    wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

We miss our old Verizon Fios which was a fiber line. It did not slow down until Verizon and Netflix had their disagreements.
                      Externabond Roof Seams
                      Wet Bolt Kit
                      7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Comment

We streamed a Netflix movie for the first time last evening... Well an hour series anyway. Worked great on BEC fiber at the cheapest 25 mb/s rate. Watched the modern LOST IN SPACE series finale! Dr. Smith is a gal in this one (hope I didn't spoil it for you).
                        wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Working...
                        X