Smart phone junk calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart phone junk calls

My phone is also my business phone. I do business world wide. I have had the same number for the past 13 years I have been in business. Yesterday, I put a note on my website indicating I would no longer answer phone calls. I asked potential customers to leave a voice mail and that I would get back as soon as I could. Will this hurt business? Perhaps but....

Yesterday I received 14 calls where the caller hung up after I answered with my name and business name and greeting. I have have called back quite a few times and found these were not legit phone numbers, either disconnected, or a message "all circuits busy" or just a busy signal. I am convinced this is the result of robo calling to see if someone answers when called. The robot then hangs up and logs MY phone number and puts it into a list to be sold to the highest bidding telemarketer.

Tools to weed out this activity are out there but potentially will kill legit calls. I did what I thought best to avoid a zillion junk calls a day. I work with my hands and it is annoying and time wasting and when I am in my media blasting building, I don't carry the phone because it is gritty and kills phones in there and I also wear ear muff hearing protection and would not hear a phone. If the govt wanted to do something useful for a change, they would crack down on junk callers.... rant over!
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278RKS

my wife has a button on her phone that allows her to block calls from a specific number .... she does make use of it .... historically I get very few calls on my flip phone, hope that continues
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have several hundred blocked calls, hasn't helped. They spoof another number and keep going. A*&holes. Latest is the health insurance deal. I'm getting 4-5 calls a day. Mine is also a business phone so I can't afford to not answer...
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

One of the most annoying new twists is the ability of the spammers to leave voice mails without the phone even ringing. I get this type of junk voicemail from a "Coach BoB". Coach Bob is a pyramid scheme where this taped voice starts off telling me how to make $10K a week without doing anything. Oh, the price we pay for modern convenience!
        wiredgeorge Mico TX
        1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278RKS

Comment

I have started letting those callers go until the press 1 to speak to a representative and then I wast as much of their time a I possibly can until they start fishing for personal information. Then I say "I'm glad I could waste your time" and hang up. I only do that on my land line. I had spinal stenosis surgery and am still recovering so it gives me a little levity during the day.

I had one of those "grandfather" scammers nearly crying a while back before he finally caught on and said "I hate you Grandpa" and hung up.
          It's fun being old and wise!

John
          LaPorte, Colorado
          2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Working...
          X