No announcement yet.

Went and fired AT&T!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I used an AT&T hotspot there was no unlimited (with AT&T) using a hotspot. We had 32 gigs of data and paid almost $150 between 2 phones and the data. I used an actual gizmo and then just started using my phone as the hotspot. My phone did get hot too. Wish the Verizon option had been on the table at that time (they didn't offer unlimited w/hotspot to new customers) at the time. Verizon does have a signal out here where we live. T-Mobile doesn't have hardly any signal out here and that seems to be the big 3 as far as towers.

One more little switch hitch. My missus had AT&T visual voicemail on her phone and voicemail now doesn't work. Consumer Cellular offers their own voicemail and it has to be set up IF you used visual voicemail on AT&T. I didn't so I was fine (no additional setup). Steps for setting up voicemail are outlined in a video on CC's website.
    Last edited by wiredgeorge; 08-25-2019, 03:00 PM.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

Everything is over and done with. Mostly painless but a few hiccups. The hotspot was a minor pain. It seems the previous owner defaulted on his contract and the phone was locked. After figuring out why it was blocked AT&T gave me an unlock code but no instructions. That was Mon. On Tues I started the transfer. The iPhones were easy. On to the hotspot. AT&T gave me an unlock code but there isn't a keypad on a hot spot??? CC couldn't unlock it as it was locked by AT&T. I finally figured out there is a hotspot manager program you can access from your cellphone. But couldn't find where to unlock it. I had tried the CC SIm with no luck. Back to AT&T SIM, no luck. Back to the CC SIM. It showed connected to CC network but no data access. While I was scratching my head and trying to figure out the next step I noticed it was downloading data???? After abt 8Mb of data it turned itself into a working hotspot. I stll don't know how or why but the results are what I wanted so I'm good.

Check your bill George for a $10 credit...
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
      2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Getting a hotspot set up and working can be a Royal PIA. Verizon’s have a phone number associated with them and it’s needed for any kind of setup or change. We found that a computer was needed and also a good hotspot tech from the company goes a long way. We spent probably 4 hours messing with it and talking to a number of different techs before the hotspot just started working. There is a definite lag time between when the company techs do something and the device starts working. This is WAY more difficult then it needs to be. And this was for a brand new one not a used one like it sounds that Cliff was trying to get going.
        David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
        2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
        Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
        5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
        Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
        Externabond Roof Seams
        Wet Bolt Kit
        7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
        GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
        Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

I had no problem with my initial setup with AT&T, they gave me a SIM and activated the phone number. It's when I changed carriers the stuff started, it's just that no-one could tell me how to do it. In reality it did it itself, somehow. Same phone number as AT&T.
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
          2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Well my getting our Verizon hotspot setup and working was a chore. It was a brand new deal and hotspot.
            Externabond Roof Seams
            Wet Bolt Kit
            7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Comment

Originally posted by Bkins View Post
              Well my getting our Verizon hotspot setup and working was a chore. It was a brand new deal and hotspot.

we've been using one since 3G was new .... up graded to a 4G MIFI a good while back .... in both cases the folks at our local Verizon store set it up and we walked out of there with our system up and running
              Jim
              '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
              '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

A Verizon stand-alone store will help with getting one setup and running but they do not offer the unlimited data plan and their hotspots must be purchased from them at a very high markup. They don’t seem to have or want to sell the hotspot that we are using and was bought at Best Buy for $30.
                Externabond Roof Seams
                Wet Bolt Kit
                7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Comment

Working...