King Tailgater Dish 4500Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Tailgater Dish 4500Q

We finally broke down and purchased a King Tailgater Dish 4500Q along with the receiver and Over the Air device from Camping World, they had the same deal as everyone and we got the bundle for about $450. I spent Black Friday looking for a deal and Cyber Monday also but their wasn't any deals, we did get the receiver for $45 but everyone was discounting something $45.
    Received the Dish today the rest is suppose to be here on Monday. I'll leave it boxed up after I inspect it all for the trip to Florida and then set it up for the first time when we get there.
    I've read so many postings about this hopefully I have setting it up down to a science and I'm hoping that whoever did the wiring in the FW did a good job. It can be mounted on the roof but that defeats the purpose of a portable so that won't happen. We have good open sky in Florida so we should be all set in that area but it will be interesting. I'm sure I'll have a tale to tell. I've down loaded the startup info off the internet so should help me make it easy.
    Westwind
    Rhode Island
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
    2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
    Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
    2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
    2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
    Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
    sigpic

hopefully it will serve you well .... we wouldn't want to be without our satellite TV system
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

House

I'm thinking of switching the house over to Dish when we come home, we have had Cox Cable for the last 30 years, this past year has been our most troublesome with the new digital boxes that they made us sign up for as they forced customers to do away with analog cable.
      I could get away with using the tailgater and avoid the $7 a month charge when we are in Florida - plus my wife is not happy about putting a dish on the house. But like all changes we make it seems to take forever. Buying the Tailgater was a 3 year decision.
      Westwind
      Rhode Island
      sigpic

Comment

we use Direct .... have a dish mounted on the chimney .... we have a dome mount on the camper and a VuQube for when the roof satellite is blocked .....we take a box and remote from the house when we are traveling
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Westwind,
          I applaud your optimism on it working by waiting til you get to Florida--I would have to set it up at my home first with all manuals, cordless phone and cell phone with King on speed dial when trying to get it working. I still have brain cramps at times with my 5-yr old Carryout.
          Joe
          '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
          '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
          '10 F450 4x4--new to me
          First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
          Livin to go campin
          In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Please set it up at the house first and get it running. a lot easier there than on the road
            Frank and Janet Henn
            Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
            2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
            out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Storage

My concern right now is how do I store it safely when we are on the Road? I have a storage compartment that was HUGE when I bought the trailer but every year it gets smaller and smaller. Today I'm going to pull out and rearrange stuff to make room for the tailgater (which is smaller then I thought) but my theory is that it's delicate and needs to go on top not underneath.

Since we haven't got Dish at the house will only use it once we get to Florida and will be in the same spot in Live Oak, Florida for 4 months getting it set up there will really be easier.and I don't want to deal with problems until I get there. After reading the quick set up sheet the only problems I can see is equipment failure or brain freeze.
              Westwind
              Rhode Island
              sigpic

Comment

I coil up the wire and place it in the shower for transport
                Frank and Janet Henn
                Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
                2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
                out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

over time our VuQube (same outer cover) has proven to be pretty tough .... I wouldn't recommend using is as a basketball but we haven't found a need to baby ours .... we do place it as far forward as possible in the camper's basement to help reduce exposure to bouncing .... Russell would be a much better resource on this than I am .... what I've been told is that eastern satellites used by Dish are relatively low in the sky .... the further north you go the lower they are in the sky and the more the treeline can come into play .... in Florida that shouldn't be a problem
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Don't know about your model, but as Jim mentioned, they are tougher than you might think. I have hauled my Carryout to the top of my trailer on the end of a rope many times, bouncing it around. It stays in the basement on top of storage containers and is constantly hit by things I place around it.
                    Joe
                    '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                    '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                    '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                    First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                    Livin to go campin
                    In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

The Tailgaters are tough. No need to baby them. I stand mine on its end in storage for travel. No problems.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
                      Russell
                      '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                      '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                      Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                      '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Comments

Thanks for the postings on the tailgator, did some mouse proofing today, I had found a trail through a plumbing/wiring chase and plugged up either end with steel wool so hopefully that will help.
                        Cut some 2x10 for new leveling blocks, my old ones split in half when we were in NH camping this summer and it was time to replace, I looked at pressure treated but too darn heavy. They probably won't last long but they will do, I need put them under the off door site of the FW to level us up.
                        Also put together a small wood platform to put the Tailgator on, it should work out well and keep it from getting submerged during a gully washer which can happen in Florida. It will ride in the bed of the truck along with the new leveling blocks. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to the compartment. But my wife has decided that the dish will ride inside the trailer - once it has sat outside for 4 months I don't think it will have that honor on the way home. These new units are really compact and light.

KING Tailgater Automatic Satellite for DISH - KING VQ4500 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World

Finding a spot for the receiver will be a challenge, we have a shelf above of the fireplace and below the TV but we have gotten used to having it for everything else, it's not big but I have a feeling we have stuff around it that will hinder the remote signal getting to the box. It will be interesting. Don't know what they were thinking when they designed the TV cabinet. No spot for a satellite receiver or DVD player for that matter. The two decorative doors are nice to hide junk behind, which we need, but a shelf would be nice right about now.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Westwind; 12-06-2015, 12:11 AM.
                        Westwind
                        Rhode Island
                        sigpic

Comment

Training Session.

Dish user guide - 123 pages including index - What the?

Setup instructions for Tailgater and Receive - 9 pages - Thank You Lord!

That user guide is a beauty but as long as I can get it going using the setup instructions I'll be happy. The remote control is bad enough. LOL
                          Westwind
                          Rhode Island
                          sigpic

Comment

I would nix that light above the shelf... and add create a hanging shelf under the TV. OR... get some corner shelves or a small corner cabinet and install them/it in that deadspace between the main cabinet and the big window. Then... move the hat hooks to above the main door. (That's where I have mine... VERY easy to grab a hat on the way out the door)
                            Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                            2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                            sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                            Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
                              The Tailgaters are tough. No need to baby them. I stand mine on its end in storage for travel. No problems.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
                              One thing I will say... have never used a Tailgator as I have DirecTV and use a VuQube. However... I do really like the wide base of the Tailgator. I've never had my VuQube tip over... but the wide base of the Tailgator can't anything by an improvement on stability.
                              Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                              2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                              sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                              Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X