satellite tv

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satellite tv

We have DirecTv at the house. Been a customer for years and have been getting increasingly tired of the way it works since AT&T bought them out. Since we are still under a current contract, will stay with them until the contract is up. The reason I am sick of DTV is that they keep monkeying around with menus that actually lose functionality and you can't see recordings made on one of the genie receivers on the main receiver... etc etc etc. Anyway, thinking about a satellite TV system for the RV and thinking about dish.

As I was doing some research, found that DirecTV was SD only and they were dropping SD service after 2019. There is a lot of question marks as to what folks will do that have DirecTV dishes on their RVs. Dish is now HD as I understand things. So I am looking at a Dish Playmaker receiver which you can move to a clear view of the southern sky and does HD receiption. I know there is a limited number of receivers that work with the thing and that Dish has a Pay As You Go service but I can't figure out what that means or the terms.... sounds like it would be best as we only camp one or two weekends a month. Does anyone use this service and can comment? How about the Playmaker dish? I would NOT want to mount it on my roof as you can't tell if you can get a slot with a view of the south, etc. and would prefer to set the dish somewhere outside the trailer with a southern view and run the coax through a window. I also don't want to get one of those tripod dishes where you have to search around for a signal; automatic sounds good to me for $250 from Amazon.

Help me out here! Thanks! wg
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

we have used Direct TV (both at home and in our camper) since '02 .... so long as they leave the plan we have alone, we will probably stick with them .... hadn't heard that they plan to drop SD service after 2019 .... if/when they do we will have a decision to make
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We have the Dish Tailgater and the receiver that was sold with it at the time. It has worked well for us though Dish customer service leaves something to be desired as far as knowledge of the company's plans go, particularly Pay As You Go. Sometimes difficult to find a rep that knows anything about it and they try to get you into a contract; or when you want to discontinue, they try to charge you for standby or some other unnecessary charge. What you pay per month is the full monthly charge which last time I checked was around $65. Last time we used it, I was able to turn it off leaving a partial month. Next time I want to use it, I have to pay a new monthly charge less the amount of my remaining credit. Not really a bad deal. I have heard that recently Dish will only allow a minimum of one month though I haven't used them in over a year so I can't confirm.
      Most importantly, if you deal with them either by phone or on-line, be specific about what you want and if they don't seem to understand, disconnect and call again until you find someone familiar with the program. I even have a written script I use to make sure my request is clear to whomever I'm communicating with.
      Dave & Jo Ann
      2008 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB
      2011 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        we have used Direct TV (both at home and in our camper) since '02 .... so long as they leave the plan we have alone, we will probably stick with them .... hadn't heard that they plan to drop SD service after 2019 .... if/when they do we will have a decision to make
        Just google DirecTv and 2019 SD and there is a lot of smoke. DirecTv put out some announcement that was vague and details are sketchy but it does look like they are going to decommission the bird that carries SD in phases in 2019. Equipment will be affected.
        wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

vague is correct .... I have no clue how big of a percentage of Direct TV's customer base (like us) is involved .... it will be interesting to see what they will offer help retain us as customers .... if we have to buy 3 new dishes, they better have one heck of a deal going
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We have Dish use a tailgater works well for us both SD and HD (Depends on the Area. We have it bundeled with the house at 7.00 a month. They have a pay as you go, but with our history it is better to go with our plan no call to activate it. Note Needs to be used once a month or you have to wait to have the programing up dated
            Frank and Janet Henn
            Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
            2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
            out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

As I mentioned, we have DirecTV in the house so I am hesitant to buy an antenna for fear it may be obsolete next year. All the antenna manufacturers are SD only which may be going away except Winegard who makes a DirecTV compatible antenna for SD/HD called the Traveller. It costs almost $2000. My wife and I decided to wait till out contact with DirecTV expires then bail and go with DIsh and at that time we will pick up Dish in our camper as well as our house. I am sick of DirecTV as they have screwed up the GUI which makes trying to find or watch recorded shows a nightmare. The GUI worked fine until the "upgrade".
              wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

The missus signed us up for Dish yesterday; should be a pretty substantial savings and hopefully the Dish GUI isn't as messed up a the recent DirecTV updated GUI where I can't find recorded shows without spending an hour searching every corner of menu. We get our house system installed on Sep 5. I am considering a Winegard PA-1000 dish and ViP211K receiver. Will add a hard drive for recording I guess. Dish is also offering a PL7000 dish and Wally bundle; anyone have an opinion. Will cost us $7 a month to leave the thing installed and not have to make calls to turn off and on service which I believe is worth it.
                wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

looking forward to hearing your assessment after using it for a while
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Was hoping to hear someone comment on wally vs ViP211K... I know the HD connection on the ViP211K is 2.0 USB but it has less negative reviews on amazon. Problem is, folks who review on amazon are generally kind of irritated about one thing or the other so not sure how much to rely on those reviews...
                    wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

We have 2 wallys one in a mountain cabin with the permanent mount 3 lnb dish.
                      The one in our 5er is connected to a Winegard Pathway x1 mounted on the roof.
                      They have been flawless so far (2 years).
                      If you don't use for some time you can reauthorize on the Dish app for the iphone.
                      Only time we have to call is when we change locals in the rv.
                      Very satisfied with Dish.

Housted
                      sigpic
                      2015 RAM 3500 Cummins/Aisin Tow Rig No chip needed!!, Factory Goose Ball w/Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection.
                      2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel - Reico Titan Ground Control leveling system - Many Mods
                      Pictures --> https://picasaweb.google.com/1012172...66833/295TWeb#
                      Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography,Shooting,Reloading

Comment

We have had the 211 since we signed up 5 ears ago like you we were with Direct for 4 years and they just got too high. We pay the 7 dollars a month to keep it on just one less phone call to make when we go out
                        Frank and Janet Henn
                        Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
                        2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
                        out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Bought the PL-7000 / Wally bundle from dishformytailgate.com which is linked off the Dish website. They are NOT part of dish but a preferred partner. I bought the extended 3 year warranty for under $20 and only covers the Wally. The dish has a 2 year manufacturer's warranty from Winegard. Total cost $357.99 including warranty and shipping. The actual company where I made the purchase is Pace International. Listening to the elevator music interrupted by sales ads, I found I could have received a free dish from them in a promotion (didn't see it on their homepage) if I had purchase my home Dish service from them... didn't want to get the missus mad because she set up the service and the install so don't have any deals but if you are thinking about Dish TV, you might want to call 800-811-4191 for Pace International and speak with them as you might get a bonus RV dish of some sort.

I didn't go with the Pathway X2 because it weighs about 3 times as much as the Winegard PL7000 and decided to try the Wally as early complaints seem to have been resolved based on comments from various sources. It is also easier to hook up a modern hard drive for recording. I don't think we can record one show and watch another though without some more equipment involved so will pass that for now as it ain't a big deal. Will probably record stuff while parked at home for playback later. I also don't care about integrating the OTA with the receiver; will just switch inputs and watch OTA if the situation warrants. Will likely pick up a tripod at some point once I understand how to place the dish while camping;

Thanks to all who helped me make a decision!
                          wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

To follow up....
                            Got the Playmaker and Wally yesterday. Set the Playmaker on top my slide as the instructions say it likes a clear view of the southern sky. Turned the handle north as mentioned in instructions. Ran the RG6 into the rv via the window in the slide and hooked it to the Wally. Turned on the Wally and it went through its set up with a few clicks on CONTINUE and such by me after steps were complete. Birds were acquired with no drama and the remote paired with the TV (Vizio) done easily. Called the number on the screen and was watching satellite TV within minutes. I had bought a 75' run of RG6 for setting the dish away from the receiver (for clear sky) but the instructions say no more than 50'. Not sure if 75' will work. I have ordered a tripod as they say a level mounting surface for the dish is required and the top of my roof isn't flat. I would order one of those ladder mounts BUT not always sure of having a view of the southern sky where the RV is parked at a camp ground. Also ordered an RG6 bulkhead connector for outside/inside:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not crazy putting the coax through my window where it is still open a crack. I will get a USB3 compliant external hard drive at some point when finances allow and get it hooked up to record.

FWIW: Had DishTV installed in the house. A hopper and 3 Joeys. Once the software update was downloaded, working great. The receivers came with a much older version of software and once the new software was loaded it works great. We manually kicked it off before going to bed. The Dish GUI is feature rich and offers MUCH more than DirecTV did and while it will take some time to figure everything out, my wife and I are both happy to save $60 a month for MORE programming.

It took longer to cancel DirecTV than to have the DishTV installer set up the new package. My wife was on the phone for over an hour and a half. She was put on hold, mis-directed and stonewalled. She finally was able to get to the RETENTION person after an hour and a half and they actually tried to brow beat my wife by asking first OVER AND OVER why we wanted to cancel. My missus was patient and told the gal on the phone we no longer watched TV. They actually offered my wife a drop in fees from about $175 a month (ouch) to $80 a month (not sure what the terms were as my wife insisted they cancel and didn't listen). If you have a mind to cancel with DirecTV, just be prepared to be given the run around and be patient. Do not get into discussions about WHY just be firm and say CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL and if they must have a reason, tell them something like "WE NO LONGER WATCH TV".
                            wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Tell it like it is: "Your service and pricing suck"
                              Clif and Millie
                              Mabank, TX (sorta)
                              2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
                              2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                              2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Working...
                              X