Switching To Dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching To Dish

well, we've been with Direct TV for well over 20 years .... that will end next week .... a couple of days ago I called them so as to replace a remote control .... the new remote arrived today .... it is the same model as our old one .... programmed it and it will do everything but cut the TV off/on .... called their customer service and after working through the process, they said the had no clue why it wasn't doing so .... when they went on to say that it really didn't matter because all of their customers with equipment like ours are being systematically moved to upgrade their equipment .... given the upgrade would be done at no out of pocket expense to us .... we currently have one receiver at home and one in the camper .... with their new system we will still have 2 receivers but both will have to operate through the main home receiver .... not having any interest in purchasing a second plan for our camper, we just signed up with Dish .... our current dome roof antenna will work with Dish so that's no problem .... we will have to purchase a replacement portable antenna .... suggestions would be appreciated ....
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

We are going to leave them soon also. The bill keeps creeping up, even with my employee discount. The Dish antenna are lots less expensive.
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
    16K DrawTite, LineX
    His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
    Elle and BJ

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

there was a discussion a while back about Direct going to force all folks with older systems to upgrade .... at least they are going to do so at no cost to their customers .... with them making it impossible to continue to use one of our receivers in our camper, they decided they no longer wanted or appreciated our business
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Jim, when you say you need to buy a portable dish, why? Does RV not have a dish that will work with DishTV? I purchased a "Playmaker" and a Wally receiver for about $350 for my RV. I find it works well. There are somewhat larger dishes out there that have the ability to provide stronger signals (a function of size) but I have found no need and don't want a sat dish that I can't put in my pass through comfortably. I also bought a hard disk to record shows while in the camper. I sometimes record stuff in advance of a trip so we can have stuff to watch if there isn't anything on the TV at that time we care to see. It costs a nominal fee to activate this hard drive and it has to be a very specific type. I also bought a very specific type USB wifi adapter so we could connect to a wifi signal and use the voice commands rather than push buttons. We have since quit using the voice thing as they turned it into Google Assistant and I am not keen for more google infecting my life. It costs $7 a month for the same programming in the RV as a the house.
        wiredgeorge Mico TX
        2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

our current roof mounted dome antenna can be set to pickup Direct or Dish .... don't know about your luck but mine is such that if there is one tree in the Campground it will be between us and a clear view of the southern sky .... for that reason we carry a portable one .... they discounted our bill by the cost of their portable antenna .... we will take that money and buy a better portable antenna
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have the tailgater a lot easier to set than the old Qube we switch in 7 years ago It cost us like 7 dollars a month to include the RV
            Frank and Janet Henn
            Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
            2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
            out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Originally posted by frank henn View Post
              I have the tailgater a lot easier to set than the old Qube we switch in 7 years ago It cost us like 7 dollars a month to include the RV
              that sounds like the same program we've signed up for
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I noted the $7 a month charge for the Wally receiver and the extra one time charge to hook up a hard drive to record shows. I also suggest you buy an assortment of co-axial cables if you don't have them already. I have them up to 75' for placement of the dish well away in the event of tree obstruction. At 75' the receiver complains a bit but will work fine once it is oriented. Wouldn't want to buy a longer piece of co-ax as I don't think we would have much luck.
                wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

I'm getting a cram course in the current state of Dish antenna technology .... we have more RG6 coaxial cable than we've ever needed .... its my understanding that the new units that automatically find a signal require enough power that limits how far they can operate on RG6 cable .... I'm reading about some sort of power booster but haven't gotten a handle on how it would be installed and just how much they improve service
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Welcome to the World of Dish. Based on most of what I hear about Dish/Direct, Direct is becoming the pits to work with. We are 100% Dish and use the permanent Traveler roof-mount/Hopper 3 for reception. I do scope out sites that don't have too many trees, which correlates with need for sun for the solar panels. Wife is very happy with 2TB of recording space and many channels to record from at same time. But we are FT and like the home-like setup. Hope you get it going and working as you need. Our old Carryout is in storage, soon to become a boat anchor....
                    '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                    '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                    '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                    First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                    Livin to go campin
                    In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

we had Dish well over 20 years ago and it worked OK .... Direct came out with an incentive pricing program to entice folks to switch, Dish wouldn't come close to meeting that price, so we switched and have used it every since .... now Direct is changing their terms in a manner that their program no longer meets our needs .... only problem with Direct's customer service that we have experienced has been when we had to deal with reps for whom American English isn't their first language
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

FYI, I am on my second Tailgater. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't. I won't buy another. Cannot recommend. YMMV
                        2010 Gulfstream Gulfbreeze 26QBS
                        2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by kscaddo View Post
                          FYI, I am on my second Tailgater. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't. I won't buy another. Cannot recommend. YMMV
                          info appreciated .... we really like the Winegard Carry Out G2 that is mounted on the roof of our camper .... its no longer available, has been replaced by the G2 .... its not the most expensive out there but it sure ain't cheap
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

OK, like I said, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about using DISH equipment .... a couple of questions :

1. is it possible to copy the movies we've saved on our Direct DVR and put them on the one we will get from DISH ?

2. could we still connect our current Direct DVR to a TV and watch the movies without being connected to Direct TV's service ?
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I had mentioned a 75' coax seems to be the longest that we can use without using an inline amp probably due to the power to the antenna diminishing as a function of RG6 run length. As far as a DirecTV DVR, no idea what that is... When we had DirecTV, don't recall a separate DVR.
                              wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Working...
                              X