No announcement yet.

Switching To Dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim, I think you can kiss any recorded programs goodbye when you change to Dish. You can't move Dish recordings to anything but a Dish product, it is a proprietary software. Wife had lots of programs recorded when we moved from Dish home to RV full-time, we transferred all of them to a 2TB external HD. When we tried to view them, couldn't get the old 211z recordings off the HD onto the new Hopper. Even went to a computer shop to see if they could view the recordings--same result, the recordings were there, but could not be opened.
    Good luck, I really think Dish is the way to go.
    '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
    '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
    '10 F450 4x4--new to me
    First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
    Livin to go campin
    In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

understood .... thanks for the info
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

https://get.dishformyrv.com/ending-s..._hsmi=76599038

Free promo going on - free Wally receiver with purchase of a sat dish.
        wiredgeorge Mico TX
        2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

I have a question. My DW is a NY Yankees fan. We have DT mainly because they have a sports package which gets her all the NY games. My eyes glazed over looking at all the BS on their website.

Does Dish offer anything like that?
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
          2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Best call 'em. I am only a fan of the San Antonio Spurs and the Fox Sports Southwest Regional channel that carries most of the Spurs games is shut down. The channel listing says Fox pulled the channel but in reality, DishTV and Fox are in a urinary olympics about the contract cost. If this continues, I will pick up NBA TV and set up a VPN so I can see the games in real time. All these big TV companies are constantly fighting with the companies that have popular channels. Last year it was CBS I think and this year Fox Sports.
            wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

don't know anything about their sports packages but do know they have some .... the suggestion to call DISH is a good one

ours is up and running in the house .... biggest issue is trying to figure out the numbers for the programs I watch most
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

heck of a day technology wise for this old country boy .... DISH sent out a fellow who installed our system in the house .... he said he couldn't get up on the roof to attach the dish to our chimney where the one from Direct has been since day 1 .... he has set a temporary dish outside and said someone will be sent out to mount a permanent one on a pole .... all in all, he did a good job .... in addition, UPS delivered the Wally receiver for the camper .... it was hot out there while I removed the Direct equipment and hooked up the Wally .... the connections with our TV weren't anywhere close to being the same so considerable trial and error took place .... the good news is, its connected to the camper's dome dish .... the bad news is, we will have to move the camper away from the treeline to get a signal .... the Wally has been activated and I've been told as soon as we get signal, the system should be fully operational

as if that wasn't enough, a replacement electronic thermostat for our home Heat/Air system arrived ... per instructions I call for assistance with programing it .... took most of an hour .... shortly after getting off it started getting hot and I do mean hot in the house .... bottom line, the heat pump was blowing hot not cool air .... 20 minute wait to speak to another customer rep who proved to be a rookie .... put up with her for most of an hour and finally demanded to speak with a supervisor ... the guy proved to be outstanding .... again, bottom line, the replacement electronic thermostat proved to be defective .... it will not link up with the system's control but he was able to get it to run the AC .... it actually reached 90 in the house, now its down to 77 .... thought for a while that we were going to have to move back into the camper .... thankfully, that won't be necessary ....
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I've always had good service/support/performance from the King Controls satellite dishes. When we switch to Dish (which we will do when DirecTV shuts off their non-HD broadcast) I'll replace my current King Controls VuCube Pro with another portable satellite from them.
                  Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                  2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                  sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                  Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

the word I got from a Direct rep is they are phasing it in but the change is most certainly coming .... based on the equipment, one would could probably move the remote and receiver from home to camper each time .... the only other option would be to pay for 2 service contracts .... with DISH once you have home service you can add the same service to the camper for $7 a month ... you can also have that service turned off and on .... its also supposed to be easy to have them turn on local service wherever you happen to be
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

we are currently setup at Zooland Campground near Asheboro, NC .... lots of pine trees .... a good bit of open sky ... it took several minutes for our roof mounted Winegard CarryOut 2 to lock onto a signal .... I know almost nothing about the signal strength ratings of DISH .... I do know that our home system show a 7.5 to 8 .... the fellow that installed our home system said that was very good, most of the signals for the ones he has installed in larger towns are around 2.5 .... the signal strength we have right now is 2.8 and we have a good, very clear picture .... so far, it appears things are working
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

just finished another equipment activation .... that being an external hard drive for the Wally receiver .... doing so will give us the ability to store up to 100 hours of program recording .... as this is being typed we are recording "A Fist Full of Dollars" .... I'd say that is getting it off to a good start ..
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

OK, learned something .... if you are watching the TV in our camper, the only show you can record is the one you are watching .... if the TV/Wally receiver is off, you can record any program for which you have a signal ....
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

well, after sending them a monthly check for service for just under 19 years, we have officially canceled our service with Direct TV / AT&T .... no drama, the rep I spoke with was courteous .... based on her tone, I expect a call from their marketing folks .... they are welcome to call but what's done is done ....our equipment is so old that none of it has to be returned, no surprise there .... they are going to send a prepaid envelope for us to return the control cards (for lack of a better term) from our receivers .... just ordered a Winegard CarryOut G2+ to use as our portable antenna for use when we cannot lock onto a signal with our 3 year old CarryOut G2 .... it should be here on Tuesday .... it should fit our current tripod, that's another good thing ..... as noted in another thread, we are pleased with the level of performance we received this weekend from DISH ....
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

If you buy the tripod, it is a little disappointing. Legs don't fold as much as they could or should for storage and my Playmaker doesn't lock onto the top of the tripod very well. I still use it but a picnic table works just as well. It appears the dish you bought can drive two receivers. I supposed that would mean record with one and watch on the other as long as you looking at channels off the same bird.
                              wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

we've been using one of the Winegard tripods since '02 with our VuQube .... it didn't fit but we made it work .... tomorrow I plan to take the VuQube off and pack it in the garage .... the Carryout is supposed to arrive on Tuesday .... it should fit the mounting plate, at least the literature says it will .... I need to order another anchor spring, no clue where ours went .... for us the key to using one is how tightly it is tied down
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by JEBar; 09-16-2019, 04:01 AM.
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X