X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cougar

Any thoughts on a 2016 28SGS?
    sigpic

Looking at some new 2018 and 2019 Keystones last year, I was not impressed but never looked at a Cougar. So any thoughts on keystone would also be helpful.
    sigpic

Comment

almost without exception, today's campers come with flaws that have to be corrected .... once that process is over, most then give a period of good service .... we see bunches of Cougars, checked a little while ago and there are 3 within sight .... I'd suggest you try to speak to some current owners and get their assessment
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

My brother owns a Cougar. It's nearly 15 years old and still looks great and is a solid trailer. Caveat? It's inside a barn when not in use. It's washed / waxed a couple times per year. It has been meticulously cared for. It sees 7-10 weekends of use per year.

My point? Under those conditions... most campers will hold up well. Unfortunately most campers that have prolonged exposure to the three primary RV enemies.... water (rain), sun, vibration (road shock)... things will fail. If those failures are attended to properly... you'll be ok.

NET/NET - I would say a Cougar is a good weekender camper. I do not believe it is a wise choice for full time or heavy use. The key for me is how comfortable I would be with how it has been cared for over it's lifetime to this point.
        Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
        2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
        Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Thanks for responding. Taking another look this weekend.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mlbm View Post
            Thanks for responding. Taking another look this weekend.
            If you see something that concerns you - come back and post it. Folks can certainly give you an experienced perspective as to if the project is a DIY type thing... or if it involves more major work and/or experience.
            Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
            2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
            Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

I own a 2002 Cougar 278 which is pretty close in size to the 28SGS model; My Cougar was built as Keystone had just been bought up by Thor and I think that adds to the quality. I have had no real problems and the trailer is outside in the hot Texas sun. Decals have peeled a bit but they do on most trailers. One nice thing about the 2016 family of Cougars is that they have mostly all vinyl floor as opposed to carpet. Carpet and camping are not a happy mix. You will need to bend over in the bedroom as it is a low profile unit which is a downside but on the upside the bathroom is totally enclosed. I am not a fan of floorplans where the shower is in the bedroom. Keystone and all other trailers at this price point will have issues that need to be addressed; trim, stuff not tightened correctly and other minor stuff that can be checked before you buy and have the seller take these into account or fix. The Keystone forum has a great PDI checklist of things to look at before forking over the cash or signing. ALL RVs in the 30' range have things which you might light placed differently but that floor plan is actually really nice for a small 5ver. Last, almost all things that can go wrong with a trailer are warrantied initially by the vendor; the roof, appliances and the like and a 2016 won't have much warranty left on any of these items to be vigilant when checking the trailer out.
              wiredgeorge Mico TX
              2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD CC
              2002 Cougar 278 EFS

Comment

Working...
              X