Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Range Fifth wheels any good?

Hey all,
    so the time has come to replace our trusty Damon Hornet 285L. We’ve owned it for just shy of 9 years. It has held up well and I havent put any money into it other than some upgrades here and there. Everything works every spring when we open it up. Butttt, we’ve outgrown it.
    Looking at a 2009 Open Range 399BHS. It seems to be in Immaculate condition. I was just curious if anyone has any insight to the brand? Thanks to you all.
    Leon.
    sigpic
    2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB
    Fully RE-bulletproofed 08-18-14/EGR/ARP Studs
    Reese 16k round tube slider hitch.
    2000 Damon Hornet 2850BH 5er :rvbbq:

Don't know anything about them except we see many of them on our travels.
    Archie & Barbara Prince
    SE Georgia (Home)/Middle Tennessee (Home away from Home)
    2007 GMC 2500HD CC L/B LBZ Duramax/Allison Transmission
    2011 Big Country (Heartland) 3250TS
    Curt Q5 20K Hitch
    Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
    Rieco-Titan Ground Control
    TST TPTMS
    Progressive EMS-HW50C

Comment

That is a big camper with a GVWR of about 14K lbs. Tongue weight will be just a tad north of 3K lbs so make sure your payload capacity (you and the family, hitch, tools, etc) are capable. The payload is on the white/yellow sticker in the door frame. I have a 2006 and my paload is right at 4K lbs but each truck is different based on how it is fitted out and then I don't carry a famly in my crew cab, just missus. Open Range campers have a good rep near as I know.
      wiredgeorge Mico TX
      2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD CC
      2002 Cougar 278 EFS

Comment

I have heard good things in general. They were acquired by Jayco back when Jayco was still independent. I think that helped their reputation.
        Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
        2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
        Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

for light/recreational use, they do reasonably well .... for heavy use or use very cold temps, not so much
          Jim
          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by 07PSDCREW View Post
            Hey all,
            so the time has come to replace our trusty Damon Hornet 285L. We’ve owned it for just shy of 9 years. It has held up well and I havent put any money into it other than some upgrades here and there. Everything works every spring when we open it up. Butttt, we’ve outgrown it.
            Looking at a 2009 Open Range 399BHS. It seems to be in Immaculate condition. I was just curious if anyone has any insight to the brand? Thanks to you all.
            Leon.
            I had sent you a PM that didn't go through and one that did, most likely user error. The company had a pretty good reputation before Jayco acquired them in 2014 and then quality went steadily down hill.
            Last edited by greg; 07-26-2020, 08:14 AM.
            Greg

2014 Ford Super Duty Diesel Platinum Package Tuxedo black
            2014 Landmark Grand Canyon 39 ft.
            Andersen Hitch

Comment

Well gang, we went to go look at a few campers this weekend. I was pretty disappointed when I walked into the open range and the smell was bad, musty/moldy. Immediately I felt the floor give as we stepped into the camper. We found other signs of neglect and water damage too. It’s crazy because every single used unit we looked at that was at a dealer had similar issues, and they’re asking all the money for them too. Still haven’t found “the one” yet.

Going to look at a Keystone Everest 340B Tomorrow. The pix look really nice but we all know how that goes.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              sigpic
              2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB

Comment

Friends had an OR for 2 years, was basically falling apart when they traded it. One thing that sold it for the lady was the movable center counter, but she came to dislike it intensely after using it.
                '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                Livin to go campin
                In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
                  The company had a pretty good reputation before Jayco acquired them in 2014 and then quality went steadily down hill.
                  Once Jayco sold to Thor ... I completely agree.

Comment

Originally posted by 07PSDCREW View Post
                    Well gang, we went to go look at a few campers this weekend. I was pretty disappointed when I walked into the open range and the smell was bad, musty/moldy. Immediately I felt the floor give as we stepped into the camper. We found other signs of neglect and water damage too. It’s crazy because every single used unit we looked at that was at a dealer had similar issues, and they’re asking all the money for them too. Still haven’t found “the one” yet.

Going to look at a Keystone Everest 340B Tomorrow. The pix look really nice but we all know how that goes.
                    A lot of used camper dealers buy the campers they sell at wholesale auctions. At some point, a dealer that sells new campers and takes trade ins won't bother put older campers on their lot but wholesales them out. These are bought REAL CHEAP at these auctions and soft floors and stink would be a couple areas that might point in this direction. You might want to look at private sellers if looking for a used camper. As far as bashing any line of campers; most pulled campers brands fall under Thor or Forest River and there isn't two hoots of difference in quality. It is also common for a company to buy another camper company to jump into a new market space. This is what happened to Sunnybrook when they were purchased by Winnebago in 2010 (I think) and folks complained about a drop off in quality. Winnebago also bought Newmar (Class A stuff) and the same complaints about quality drop off were and are being heard. Winnebago also bought Grand Design. I do know that I had a Sunnybrook and the same basic camper is still being sold under the Winnebago flag today; not sure how quality stacks up.
                    wiredgeorge Mico TX
                    2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD CC
                    2002 Cougar 278 EFS

Comment

Might check on facebooks market place, that is where I found our new to us motorhome.
                      Frank and Janet Henn
                      Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
                      2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
                      out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Hello all, thanks for all the suggestions! We fell in love with the Keystone Everest as soon as we set foot inside. Private sale, the unit went to Alaska and came back a year later and had been on a open seasonal site since. The lady’s husband passed and now it’s up for sale. Put a deposit on it, We go pick it up Friday! Can’t wait. Nothing wrong with it, no damage, everything works! The inside is pristine! I’ll make a post with some pix when I get it!
                        sigpic
                        2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB

Comment

Congrats!! Sounds like you found a good one. Can't wait to see the pictures... and more importantly... see the stuff you do to make it your own.

Comment

congrats .... looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more about it
                            Jim
                            '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                            '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

https://www.rvinsider.com/Keystone-E...&brand=Everest

Usually RV reviews tend to the negative with folks who have an axe to grind chirping but the reviews of this line of Keystone campers is very positive.
                              wiredgeorge Mico TX
                              2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD CC
                              2002 Cougar 278 EFS

Comment

Working...
                              X