Why Is It Hard To Sell A New Popup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is It Hard To Sell A New Popup

the size of the market for people considering popup (AKA : folding campers) seems to be shrinking .... while the advantages and disadvantages of popups haven't changed .... what has changed is price .... using a Jayco 1209SC as an example .... when it comes to assembly line units, it has been and continues to be about as good as can be found on the market .... the link is to a 2016 which I would tend to believe will be priced somewhat higher than a 2015 .... with the following option :

Customer Value Package (Mandatory) $817.00

Bath/shower with hard walls $2,129.00

(2) Bed mat heaters $262.00

Stereo w/ outside speakers $187.00

Powered roof vent $210.00

16,000-BTU furnace w/ auto ignition $397.00

note, no AC

the $17,608 MSRP puts it well into the price range of some hard side and hybrid campers
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Granted that is MSRP, but we only paid 21,500 for our 32BHDS in 2009, of course it also carried an MSRP somewhere around 33 or 34. So if comparable numbers/discounts apply, you should be able to get this around 12k. Still a large number for canvas sides and no AC.
    Jim
    2009 Jayco 32BHDS
    1999 Chevrolet 1500 ECSB 4x4

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Comment

You have to start somewhere when moving up from a tent and that's a big jump from a tent. Plus it can be pulled by about anything with a real motor, electrics need not apply.
      Not everyone jumps straight into a $30k plus new 5th wheel, it's called baby steps. BUT they are expensive steps. Let's see since 2009, all new. BP $13.5k, 5th $36k, 5th $32k (bigger but closeout), and 5th $65k. I don't want to figure what those baby steps cost me.

You can't take it with you, I've never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul.
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

as a side note, one of the major demographics for the population currently strongly considering purchasing a popup centers on younger families who live in gated (tightly regulated) communities where they have to park their camper in their garage
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

That's a big garage if you're going to use your camper for a man-cave....
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

Outside storage

The other concern with a canvas pop-up is storage outside, mold and mildew can raise havoc with the canvas and with everyone fretting over mold they seem to shy away from the pop-ups. My SIL was looking at used ones and said everything he saw was scary so he lost interest. A new one is out of the question for them.
            If it were me I would look for a well built lightweight hard side travel trailer.
            Westwind
            Rhode Island
            2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
            2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
            Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
            2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
            2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
            Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X