Finally - Ebooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally - Ebooks

Our local public library has finally moved into the new century. They started many years ago with an cumbersome old system that would allow you to read ebooks on your computer, but not on other devices. UGH! But when we were in the library last week, we found out that we can now download the RBDigital app on my pad (Dan's is too old), and now I have another source for free books. I still prefer the feel of the book in my hand, but free is good. So if you haven't done it yet, check with your local library and see if that's an option for you. In fact, I have a friend who has apps from multiple libraries. Heaven knows why all the libraries in FL can't get together and use the same app though.

Zerel
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

We both have ipads and download books from library to read all the time. We also download audio books to listen to in the truck while traveling. A good book makes the road time pass quickly.
    Ron Norton
    Katy, TX
    2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QBP
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Comment

Consider a Kindle. no glare, just about like reading a paper page. I've used a Paperwhite for several years and find it much easier on my eyes than my wife's ipad.
      Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
      2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
      Previously:
      2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by bobbidonb View Post
        Consider a Kindle. no glare, just about like reading a paper page. I've used a Paperwhite for several years and find it much easier on my eyes than my wife's ipad.
        I have a fairly new Nook, and I love it. I had the Kindle app on my old Nook, but I've found that I could get everything I wanted on my Nook. I also don't use my Nook as much as Dan does his. I prefer a real book, but I do like having another source for books that doesn't break the bank.
        Z
        Dan & Zerelda Hammer
        Pensacola, FL
        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Originally posted by texaspsdx View Post
          We both have ipads and download books from library to read all the time. We also download audio books to listen to in the truck while traveling. A good book makes the road time pass quickly.
          We listen to audio books on the road. In fact, when we finish up the ones we already have on the shelf, we're going to try an audio book on my Nook and listen through the blue tooth in the truck. Our library also has audio books for download, and they appear to have a pretty good selection.
          Z
          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
          Pensacola, FL
          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Originally posted by rvduo View Post

We listen to audio books on the road. In fact, when we finish up the ones we already have on the shelf, we're going to try an audio book on my Nook and listen through the blue tooth in the truck. Our library also has audio books for download, and they appear to have a pretty good selection.
            Z
            We download all the ebooks and audio books we read and listen to from the library. Free use for 2 weeks at a time.
            Ron Norton
            Katy, TX
            2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QBP
            2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by texaspsdx View Post

We download all the ebooks and audio books we read and listen to from the library. Free use for 2 weeks at a time.
              We get three weeks, and can renew for another if it's not on hold.
              Z
              Dan & Zerelda Hammer
              Pensacola, FL
              SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
              2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I finally figured out how to use the blue-tooth feature to listen to audio books through my phone while we're on the road! My pad wouldn't connect to the blue-tooth in the truck. It's awfully nice to have a free source for audio books.
                Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                Pensacola, FL
                SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I have found that reading on my old kindle is more comfortable than on the Kindle Fire. The latter does have a glare. I like to have a 'real' book but when traveling the kindle and fire are more practical as far as available packing space is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by MGBar View Post
                    I have found that reading on my old kindle is more comfortable than on the Kindle Fire. The latter does have a glare. I like to have a 'real' book but when traveling the kindle and fire are more practical as far as available packing space is concerned.
                    I personally prefer a real book in my hand. But I can't read in the truck, so I try to find something in audio that both of us can enjoy (like The Disappearing Spoon). But I do use my Nook for one of my sources of inexpensive and free books. There are only a couple of authors I will occasionally pay full price for.

I spent many years thinking I had to rush out and buy the newest/latest book in hardbound, and I kept them all. I can't imagine how much money sat on my bookshelves all those years. But since I got rid of all those books when we went on the road, I'm not sure why I felt that way. I no longer feel the need to rush out and buy the books new. I just keep a list of books that I'd like to read, and when they come up cheap, or free, I pick it up, and then I trade it out somewhere down the road. I've always got something on hand from which to choose.

Z
                    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                    Pensacola, FL
                    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

That is good advice. The Thousand Trails in Chesapeake, Va, has a take and leave book area that I have often used. We have not been there for a while but plan to go in October. I hope to go prepared to swap some books then.

Comment

It was a nasty day yesterday so I read Mary Higgens Clark's The Cinderella Murder. It has been a while since I read a whole book in one day but this one was really hard to put down. Lots of twists and turns and the culprit was a surprise--at least to me!

Comment

Working...
                        X