• Show
Clear All

• frank henn
    replied
    Just finished a series by Jeff Shaara they were great based on fact fiction

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    I will note the suggested titles and add the to my wish list--it is pretty long but when weather is bad, I whittle it down. Thanks to all who made these suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• jonesuh
    replied
    try
    With The Old Breed by EB Sledge the basis for the TV series The Pacific

Playing With The Enemy (a Baseball Prodigy, WWII, and the Long Road Home) by Garry Moore

both very good reads

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    I just finished Once Night Falls which is a historical novel about the Italian resistance during WWII. It was a well researched novel that incorporated factual information in a story about the people of an area of Italy. It was an excellent book.

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    That is another one I need to read. I did see the movie several times but the books are usually better. Thank you for suggesting this

Leave a comment:

• kscaddo
    replied
    I keep telling myself to purchase Audie Murphy's autobiography "To Hell and Back". He was born and raised in my county and enlisted in my hometown. When he died in '71 a lot of us in high school wore black armbands.
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by norty View Post

Bitberg was a pitstop for Patton's Army and was also mentioned in the book. I was stationed at Spangdahlem Air Base near Bitberg.
    I remember Spangdahlem. Like Bitburg... CLOSED.
    I think the only operating USAF base in left in Germany is Ramstein.

Leave a comment:

• norty
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff View Post

I've been to Trier!! Spent a month in Bitburg... and Trier was once of the places we went to visit.
    Bitberg was a pitstop for Patton's Army and was also mentioned in the book. I was stationed at Spangdahlem Air Base near Bitberg.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Originally posted by norty View Post
    I just finished reading "Citizen Soldier" by Stephen Ambrose. One of the best WWII books I ever read. It had details of places I have visited in Trier and Koblenz,Germany.

Started at D day and ended at Armistice.
    I've been to Trier!! Spent a month in Bitburg... and Trier was once of the places we went to visit.

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    I will check it out. I am reading a much lighter book now. I find I am reading lots more historical stuff than I used to.

Leave a comment:

• norty
    replied
    I just finished reading "Citizen Soldier" by Stephen Ambrose. One of the best WWII books I ever read. It had details of places I have visited in Trier and Koblenz,Germany.

Started at D day and ended at Armistice.

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    I just finished Where the Birds Never Sing by Jack Sacco. It is the true story of his father and other young men who were part of the 92nd battalion of the 3rd army under General Patton. Their job was to handle the communications: string wire, connect units via phones, etc. They served in France and finally ended up in Germany. They were part of the group that liberated Dachu. It is a compelling book full of history as well as the story of young men who saw more than any one ever should have to. It was a tough book but at the same time, it was hard to put down.

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    :Last night I started a book that is the true story of a WWII draftee from Alabama. I have read enough of it yet to have a feel for the tone of it. I will let you know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    Yesterday I read a book my granddaughter loves: The War I Won about a young English girl during WWII. It is part of a 2 book series. She and I have read parts of both books together and then when she finishes them I read them. If you have a young granddaughter who loves to read these books are great. If you are a reader and share that with a grandchild, it is even more special.

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    started a topic WWII books

WWII books

Lately I have read a number of books about WWII. One, The Rabbit Girls, dealt with Dutch people being taken to concentration camps and never returning. It was disturbing to say the least. I am now reading The Dressmakers Gift about the French resistance. It too has parts that are disturbing but I think will have a better ending than the other book. I have another book on tap to read that my grand-daughter loaned me about English children that were sent to the country during the war. I know it won't be as disturbing. I keep reading these books because they are part of the history I have lived. I was born 5 months after Pearl Harbor and grew up listenng to what life was like during that time. Hopefully we have learned something and will never go through that again.
    Last edited by MGBar; 10-11-2019, 02:54 PM.
Working...
X