Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post RV life check in

Hi folks,

I have missed the friendly atmosphere here on MRT so I thought I would check in and say hi.

We said goodbye to our travel trailer and the campering life at the beginning of 2018. I was still enjoying it but my dear wife was so-so and our daughter, now 15, was not getting much out of it. So we decided it was time for a change. We sold the trailer and the truck and our family people mover is now a 2014 Toyota Prius v.

We are very pleased with the car. We fill it up about as often as we did the truck but the pain at the pump has been reduced by about 70%. Our overall average since we bought the car is 6.1 L/100km (36 mpg). If I were the only driver it would probably be above 40 mpg but there is a reason my Dad calls my DW Lead Foot Dawn.

One of things I REALLY missed about owning a trailer was tinkering and mods, but something came along in the summer of 2018 to help that.
    Back in 2016 my dear cousin Mike died of lung cancer at the tender age of 52. I was very close to Mike, who was one of the reasons I started riding motorcycles when I was 18. I had sold my last one nearly 20 years ago just after we bought our house, but Mike had an aging beauty, a 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. Mike wanted it to stay in the family and now it is mine, and my privilege to preserve and enjoy.

Back in the day I did some of my own bike work, mostly what I could grasp through the shop manual. These days you can learn just about anything on YouTube so I am tackling the things I would once have considered too advanced. So far that has included the replacement of the clutch slave cylinder and the ignition switch, both pretty big jobs. I am helped by my garage space which I have properly set up as for bike maintenance in the summer.

I have also begun to dabble in welding, and have built a few small projects. I actually justified the purchase of the welder by telling DW it would be really handy for work on the trailer, but it's proven to be useful elsewhere too.

-

Do I miss camping? Yes, sometimes. But I don't miss the challenge of finding a site, dealing with shoddy manufacturing, occasional inconsiderate neighbours, worries about parking and which gas stations we'll fit in, and the other downsides. We have rented a few cottages here and there, and find that suits us better at this time. Though we have discussed couples' camping at a later date with a smaller trailer which we may or may not restore ourselves. Time will tell, and if that happens I'll be back on here a lot more.

Take care, and good to talk at you again.

delighted to hear from you again .... good to hear things are going well .... just curious, do you find your skills learned 20 years ago are still able to help you with your Bandit .... please drop in often, your camping experience developed over the years could really be helpful for many of our members .... plus, we have always enjoyed our conversations
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Hey Jim, great to hear from you.

My motorcycle riding skills had definitely atrophied over the past 20 years. Some things were slow in coming back, like remembering to cancel the turn signals, taking more weight on the feet and looking farther into a curve. And I get saddle-sore a lot more quickly - a new saddle is coming in the new year.
      Luckily we live within five minutes of country roads and that is where I do most of my riding, an hour or so at a time. The Bandit is much happier at higher revs and speeds than it is during a commute. And it has more power than I will ever use!
      For a 20-year-old bike with 90,000 km (~56k miles) on the clock it is in really good shape.

I've got to say this is the first time I have owned both a car and a bike where the car gets better mileage...

I will pop in more often to put my oar in.

Comment

Hey stranger!!! So great to get an update on your goings on...

Please don't be gone so long next time. You are a phenomenal / detail oriented resource that folks can certainly learn a lot from.
        Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
        2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
        sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
        Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Jeff, you are too kind. I don't have a lot to post of the subject of campers lately but I will make a point of popping in more often. You guys are too awesome to wait this long again.

Comment

Originally posted by Restcure View Post
            Jeff, you are too kind. I don't have a lot to post of the subject of campers lately but I will make a point of popping in more often. You guys are too awesome to wait this long again.
            I have always said... if you could get the right sponsorship - you could create an AMAZING "RV'er DIY" website / channel. Your ability to detail out, describe, and photo a modification or repair is absolutely unmatched.

For any readers who are unfamiliar with his work... check out the mod page on his personal website. It's awesome!!
            Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
            2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
            sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
            Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Good to hear from him again--I was constantly intrigued by his mod to the trailer.
              '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
              '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
              '10 F450 4x4--new to me
              First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
              Livin to go campin
              In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Working...
              X