• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    norty
    I'd rather be camping

• norty
    replied
    Joe, I had the same thing happen to me years ago, only I saw it in the rear view mirror after driving about 2 miles. Only the good lord stopped it from sliding out.

I call it my first 'Pucker moment"

Leave a comment:

• Joezilla

• Joezilla
    replied
    I know how the MH driver feels. On our last day of travel to get to our winter destination, I forgot to close the flip up lock and pin it in place after backing in to hookup our fifth wheel. The jaws were locked properly, but the flip up thingy is just a safeguard that NEEDS to be done and then pinned into place. I guess I was so ready to be on the road, I just plumb forgot. Luckily, the good Lord was looking after us as we made it with no problems.

I discovered it when we arrived. I was absolutely chilled to the bone by my stupidity and what COULD have happened.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• socoguy
    Seasonal camper

• socoguy
    replied
    good policy

We keep a written checklist inside of monitor panel door. We also do a double walk around in opposite directions. We don't have specific jobs we share responsibility for all that must be done.
    Go Well Happy Trails

Leave a comment:

• Westwind

• Westwind
    replied
    X3 Walk Around

I know it must look like I'm loosing it but quite a few years ago, after leaving a brand new y shut off and water pressure valve in a campground I started the x3 walk around where I walk around the truck and trailer three times checking all connections, tires, doors etc. and yes 1 out of 4 times I find something.
    X3 is high on my list if I stopped to talk to someone.

Leave a comment:

• JerzeyJoe
    South Jersey Piney

• JerzeyJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    question based on having never used one : if a car being towed is equipped with a system to apply its brakes when the driver of the motor home does, if it comes unplugged will it activate the tow car's brakes .... like pulling the emergency brake cable on a TT or 5er

Jim
    the braking system I have would not apply brakes if the electrical cable comes unplugged... it needs to have the voltage that lights the coach brake lamps as well as a deceleration signal to apply the brakes... it supplies the vacuum for the brakes and air pressure to operate the brake pedal... there is a break away switch on the car just like a trailer... one thing I have to do before pulling out is pump the car brakes to bleed off all of the vacuum or the first time you apply the coach brakes the car brakes will lock up... don't ask how I know this...

Joe

Leave a comment:

• frank henn

• frank henn
    replied
    the cab of the truck can be even smaller ..ops:

Jim
    Especially when you have quite a few hours ahead of you

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by norty View Post
    A camper can get mighty small when Snits happen! LOL

the cab of the truck can be even smaller ..ops:

Jim

Leave a comment:

• norty
    I'd rather be camping

• norty
    replied
    Originally posted by DanT View Post
    left in a hurry/snit
    A camper can get mighty small when Snits happen! LOL

Leave a comment:

• DanT
    replied
    About two years ago at Shasta a couple with one 10-12 year old was having some issues and they hooked to their tow vehicle, and left in a hurry/snit
    Needless to say they forgot to unhook water, electrical and sewer before their exit.
    Tore up the side of their trailer along with the campgrounds electrical box and water spigot.

The last thing I do,as I get in the truck to pull out is to look along the side to make sure we are all unhooked from utilities and that everything is closed, locked etc.
    Last edited by DanT; 11-13-2012, 05:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Westwind

• Westwind
    replied
    It can be ugly!

Had a campground neighbor who didn't turn the key on to release the steering wheel. On the corner going out of the campground he tore the front wheel and fender off his PT Cruiser.
    Needless to say the abuse he heaped on his wife (she was suppose to remember to turn the key) was really embarrassing. I really felt bad for her since we have all be guilty of "Forgetting".
    Since the FW is totally new to us we are back to the checkoff sheets. They sort of are like a security blanket.

Leave a comment:

• norty
    I'd rather be camping

• norty
    replied
    Originally posted by Bkins View Post
    How many decades ago was this?
    20 years to be precise. That would be 2 decades.

Leave a comment:

• Bkins
    replied
    Originally posted by norty View Post
    When I pulled a small truck behind a MH, there were no brakes, just lights and safety chains.
    How many decades ago was this?

Leave a comment:

• norty
    I'd rather be camping

• norty
    replied
    question based on having never used one : if a car being towed is equipped with a system to apply its brakes when the driver of the motor home does, if it comes unplugged will it activate the tow car's brakes .... like pulling the emergency brake cable on a TT or 5er

Jim
    When I pulled a small truck behind a MH, there were no brakes, just lights and safety chains.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied

Jim

Leave a comment:

• RBT
    replied
    If he had an automatic transmission, that's got to be a strain on the park gear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X