Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Routes

Note to Self:

Self, remember that when you tell your Garmin GPS to take you somewhere by the fastest route it will use interstate highways whenever possible .... when you tell it to go by the shortest distance, it may well take you over roads a Freightliner was never intended to travel

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Does this override the "truck" or "bus" setting you can lock in ..(I forgot the exact screens... but do know that once you set "truck" it will NOT route you over gravel roads and alike..)

I have a Etrex Legend CX
    ZenfookPower - (No more active)

Comment

Originally posted by ZenfookPower View Post
      Does this override the "truck" or "bus" setting you can lock in ..(I forgot the exact screens... but do know that once you set "truck" it will NOT route you over gravel roads and alike..)

I have a Etrex Legend CX
      the only time I have really noticed that it would take us on roads that we shouldn't have been on in our Freightliner was in Vermont .... it is understandable in that all most of all the roads in the Williamstown area are two lane, mountain roads that have paved and unpaved sections ... it also took us down 10% - 11% grades ... we made it just fine but this experience reinforced the need to have a good map handy

Jim
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        the only time I have really noticed that it would take us on roads that we shouldn't have been on in our Freightliner was in Vermont .... it is understandable in that all most of all the roads in the Williamstown area are two lane, mountain roads that have paved and unpaved sections ... it also took us down 10% - 11% grades ... we made it just fine but this experience reinforced the need to have a good map handy

Jim
        If possible, always follow the directions given in the campground web site or Campground directory. There is usually a good reason for them routing customers a particuliar way.

Comment

Originally posted by edj View Post
          If possible, always follow the directions given in the campground web site or Campground directory. There is usually a good reason for them routing customers a particuliar way.
          AMEN

Jim
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

GPS are not the only way to end up on “back roads.” Several times I have followed a map that took me on a narrow road, with sharp turns and no shoulder.

I do not own a GPS (yet) but I have borrowed my sister’s Garmin 2720 several times and have found it very accurate. It has a truck mode that eliminates those back roads.

BTW (By The Way) there is a web site to enter corrections, when the GPS takes you to the wrong place.

Map Insight Feed back

We collect consumer data through our unique Map Insight system, which provides end users of our partners’ products, with a fast and simple method for reporting changes. Users enter changes directly into our Web-based software, which includes easy-to-use forms for communicating new changes to us.
            The feedback we receive from consumers helps us detect and manage changes to our map data more quickly, so that we can keep our maps accurate and up-to-date. Please accept our thanks in advance for your feedback.
            Ken Mullins
            2000 Sunnybrook 29DBS
            2000 Ford E350 Diesel Van (Solar Eclipse Conversion)
            Hensley Arrow (2004)
            Jordan Ultima Brake Controller (2003)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kenmullins View Post
              GPS are not the only way to end up on “back roads.” Several times I have followed a map that took me on a narrow road, with sharp turns and no shoulder.

BTW (By The Way) there is a web site to enter corrections, when the GPS takes you to the wrong place.

Map Insight Feed back
              Is this info shared with Garmin?I keep ours set on the truck/buss mode. I have been told to turn several times in a few miles where there is no longer a road for quite sometime.
              It was pastureland. But you can see where there once was a road of sorts.
              I refereed to a paper map, and had to shut Suzy-Q off because she was starting to BUG.
              Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
              Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
              04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
              07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
              16K Pullrite Super Slide
              2006 Excel 30RSO
              All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmullins View Post

I do not own a GPS (yet) but I have borrowed my sister’s Garmin 2720 several times and have found it very accurate. It has a truck mode that eliminates those back roads.

Map Insight Feed back
                I believe that Garmin and Microsoft Streets&Trips uses NavTeq for the map source data. NavTeq has a web site for submitting map corrections. I have not used it, but have heard from others that the map database does get updated because of these entries. It will probably take a couple of map releases before you see the updates in the end product though.

Comment

Map Update

Thanks,
                  I will send them some info.
                  Lee
                  Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                  Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                  04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                  07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                  16K Pullrite Super Slide
                  2006 Excel 30RSO
                  All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by edj View Post
                    I believe that Garmin and Microsoft Streets&Trips uses NavTeq for the map source data. NavTeq has a web site for submitting map corrections. I have not used it, but have heard from others that the map database does get updated because of these entries. It will probably take a couple of map releases before you see the updates in the end product though.
                    I had previously used NavTeq, but lost the link so I did a Google and came up with Teleatlas. Yes Garmin uses NavTeq, which is the link I intended to post. While there are occasional errors, it is amazing that the database is accurate most of the time. Keeping up with new and changing roads is a full-time job. I know that several communities have renumbered their address to make them more 911 friendly. I guess that is why updated maps are so expensive.
                    Ken Mullins
                    2000 Sunnybrook 29DBS
                    2000 Ford E350 Diesel Van (Solar Eclipse Conversion)
                    Hensley Arrow (2004)
                    Jordan Ultima Brake Controller (2003)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                      it also took us down 10% - 11% grades ... we made it just fine
                      Jim
                      11%, is that it?????
                      Ryan, Beth, Alyssa, Maggie the pug & Dexter the destroyer.
                      Eatonville WA
                      2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 5.9 CTD
                      2001 Sunnybrook 31BWFS with optional Bedroom Slide.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Magentaman

Comment

Originally posted by WAFLHTIRider View Post
                        11%, is that it?????
                        yep, 11% .... I believe the steepest allowed on interstate highways is 7%

Jim
                        Attached Files
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Your worst nightmare, you're towing your 24 ft TT behind your Ford Pinto and you see that sign.
                          Going the extra mile just means you missed your exit.

The Black Pearl '07.5 Dodge 3500 Q/C 3500 DRW LB 6.7 CTD Orion 6 sp auto

'07 SB 31 BWKSLX w/King Bed Slide
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sunnytraveler5595 View Post
                            Your worst nightmare, you're towing your 24 ft TT behind your Ford Pinto and you see that sign.
                            didn't make me too comfortable that I was driving a Freighliner when I saw those signs :happy001:

Jim
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

On this last trip we did a little testing on our Garmin 2720 "Homer". We would program a route for fastest, then delete it and run it on shortest. Several times the "shortest" route plan was quicker than the fastest mode?

Don't follow a GPS blindly. Exercise it in an area that you know and see what it does. May surprise you!
                              2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                              2017 F350 Lariat PSD CC,SB,SRW, 3.55, FX4, LineX
                              B&W Turnover
                              Andersen 3220 Ultimate
                              Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
                              97 27RKFS SB
                              04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X