Look Up!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look Up!!

Sooooo...I bring the fiver home from storage today. Time to get her all cleaned up for our fall trip. I usually drive down the wrong side of the street in our sub-division due to a low hanging tree. This time a car came the other way and I went under the tree. I knew some branches brushed the roof. When I got home, I looked at the front cap and there weren't any scratches.

Later in the afternoon, I thought it would be a good idea to lube the antenna gears. I really hate going up on the roof, but I can get to it through the bedroom roof vent. Went in...pulled the vent pillow out....saw sky....no vent cover. The tree branch got it. Of course...it started to rain. And the day was going so well.....krap!

Originally posted by AVid View Post
    I really hate going up on the roof, but I can get to it through the bedroom roof vent. Went in...pulled the vent pillow out....saw sky....no vent cover. The tree branch got it.

understood on the look up .... it only takes a second to make you wish you had .... it kind of reminds me of a few years ago when a driver delivered a new Montego Bay to our dealership with a gaping hole in the roof where the bedroom AC should have been ..

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Might have been the sun that got it. Last year we had the vent over the bunk room go just fell apart. replaced it and checked the other two they were going bad also. Put ramble smoke vent cover on
      Frank and Janet Henn
      Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
      2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
      out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

That's a whole new dimension, going from a TT to a 5er. Height becomes a real issue. Measured our trailer the other day, and with the bedroom air conditioner we measure 13'4" when hooked up. Lot's of side streets have low hanging branches.
        DZWISS
        Ford 2011 F350 6.7 PSD, Titan 50 Gal. fuel tank
        2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27 FB
        Cavco Park Model in AZ

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
          understood on the look up .... it only takes a second to make you wish you had .... it kind of reminds me of a few years ago when a driver delivered a new Montego Bay to our dealership with a gaping hole in the roof where the bedroom AC should have been ..

Jim
          Had he removed it using a bridge?
          Larry
          Holly
          Jessie
          Jamie Lyn
          2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 CC 4x4
          2007 Starcraft Antigua 215SSO

Comment

Originally posted by brainpause View Post
            Had he removed it using a bridge?

during the PDI (per delivery inspection) when I walked into the bed room the bottom part of the AC was laying on the bed and there was a hole in the roof where the AC should have been .... the 4 long bolts that hold the top unit were broken .... he claimed he had no clue .... considering everything, the camper itself was in good shape .... below is a picture of one that came in a while back .... he too said he didn't know what he hit, speculated it may have been a bird ..:dunno:

Jim
            Attached Files
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Yea, the low hanging branches are a constant threat getting to our house also. I was up installing a Jack antenna and saw I must of hit some tree branches getting it home. I had marks about 8' long up there that came off after I rubbed my fingers on them. We came home right after Irene hit our area and there was stuff, and low tree branches everywhere.

It always amazes me how a large majority of the cars out there just will not give you the benefit of the doubt when your sitting/driving somewhere where it isn't the norm. I've had many drivers give me the middle finger salute for being in the middle of the road trying to avoid tree branches. For the most part I just ignore them as the haven't a clue why I am where I am.
              David & Bonnie (1 Female Cat)
              2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
              Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
              5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
              Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
              RV Armor Roof
              Mor/Ryde IS System with 8K Disc Brakes
              Goodyear RST G614

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
              GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
              Thanks to BC Jim for his generous helping hand

Comment

With the newer fifth wheels, it is a challenge driving in local areas cause local and state agencies give tree trimming a low priority unless they get loads of heat. I have had to trim trees for 3 blocks of my house on a regular basis for years. I find myself looking up much more than before and have also seen streaks on the roof from branches rubbing.

No damage yet but it sure keeps you on your toes.
                2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                2017 F350 Lariat PSD CC,SB,SRW, 3.55, FX4, LineX
                B&W Turnover
                Andersen 3220 Ultimate
                Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
                97 27RKFS SB
                04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Bkins View Post
                  Yea, the low hanging branches are a constant threat getting to our house also. I was up installing a Jack antenna and saw I must of hit some tree branches getting it home. I had marks about 8' long up there ....
                  Originally posted by norty View Post
                  I find myself looking up much more than before and have also seen streaks on the roof from branches rubbing....

precisely the major reason I keep a roll of Eternabond and a can of their spray primer in the camper at all times ..

Jim
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '16 Camaro RS

Comment

New to looking up!

On our trip home with the new FW I got on the road to our house and ended up in the center of the road, when I looked to the right my co-pilot was looking at me like I was losing it "Why are you in the middle of the Road!!!!!", once I explained it too her she sort of got it.
                    Next morning my FW owning neighbor was looking over the new FW, he said remember stay in the middle of the road coming home or you will beat this
                    trailer to bits! Loved it!
                    Westwind
                    Rhode Island
                    2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
                    2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
                    Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
                    2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
                    2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
                    Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
                    sigpic

Comment

If someone gives me the one fingered salute, I like to think they're telling me that I'm Number One.
                      Jim & Delores
                      2005 30RKFS
                      2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
                      Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

We can't take our 5er to our getaway house in a nearby town (45 miles). The street is like driving in a tunnel. Tree branches will drag the top of my Dually and knock the magnetic-mount CB antenna off if I'm not careful where to drive on the left side of the street.
                        I asked the mayor if the city would cut the trees back so I could pull our 5er to our house. He said "not unless the trees have fallen into the street."
                        Ya'know, Halloween is coming fast. I have a chainsaw.
                        Last edited by Ray,IN; 10-16-2011, 05:38 AM.
                        "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

Comment

Sad sign of the times!

As I read earlier, with town budgets tight tree trimming is one the first to fall
                          to the wayside. You really have to be pro-active and learn what is in your path to and from home.
                          The utilities will do some if it's interferring with the lines but that's about it.
                          Westwind
                          Rhode Island
                          2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
                          2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
                          Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
                          2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
                          2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
                          Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Westwind View Post
                            The utilities will do some if it's interferring with the lines but that's about it.
                            They won't touch them here, unless they are on fire to a tree.
                            And we just got one of those new meters that they read & control from downtown somewhere.
                            They say its for our own good, because they will know of a power outage sooner.
                            Just tell that to the guy that got laid off because of them.
                            If you can't get the county to do it here, the town told me to cut them myself.
                            You must first tell landowner.
                            Yeah right, wheres my backup?
                            Lee
                            Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                            Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                            04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                            07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                            16K Pullrite Super Slide
                            2006 Excel 30RSO
                            All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                              during the PDI (per delivery inspection) when I walked into the bed room the bottom part of the AC was laying on the bed and there was a hole in the roof where the AC should have been .... the 4 long bolts that hold the top unit were broken .... he claimed he had no clue .... considering everything, the camper itself was in good shape .... below is a picture of one that came in a while back .... he too said he didn't know what he hit, speculated it may have been a bird ..:dunno:

Jim
                              Helluva big bird
                              sigpic
                              PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                              2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X