New use for bottle jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New use for bottle jacks

Don't ask me I just took the pictures. We spent two days trying to figure it out. He was pulling it with a dually so the weight with all the blocks was probably not an issue.
    Attached Files
    My & Shirley
    2011 CL36XTRMS
    2015 SIERRA 3500 DENALI HD

usually when I see something like that it is an attempt to stabilize a weak frame so as to keep it from bouncing when folks are moving around inside .... some folks are hypersensitive to a motion in a camper when they are in it

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I would be hypersensitive to carrying around all the blocks he is using...

Joe
      '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
      '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
      '10 F450 4x4--new to me
      First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
      Livin to go campin
      In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Can someone explain to me. Also, what is with all the blocks. What am I missing:help:

Comment

It's the poor man's Big Foot Jack System....
          Russell
          '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
          '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
          Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
          '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by monde48 View Post
            Can someone explain to me. Also, what is with all the blocks. What am I missing:help:
            One theory I have read, maybe on this forum somewhere, is that the further one needs to extend those scissor stabilization jacks, the less stable the result.

I have no scientific details to demonstrate or document that, but I have tried it and it does seem to make a difference. I use blocks under those type of stabilizers so that they only need to be extended a few inches, as opposed to the two or more feet that they will potentially extend.
            sigpic
            Marv and Mary
            '06 SB 32BWKS
            2014 Silverado, 3500 HD Duramax/Allison, Long Bed, 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by MAAX2 View Post
              One theory I have read, maybe on this forum somewhere, is that the further one needs to extend those scissor stabilization jacks, the less stable the result.

I have no scientific details to demonstrate or document that, but I have tried it and it does seem to make a difference. I use blocks under those type of stabilizers so that they only need to be extended a few inches, as opposed to the two or more feet that they will potentially extend.

Looks like this guy put them every place EXCEPT under those scissors though!!
              sigpic
              Marv and Mary
              '06 SB 32BWKS
              2014 Silverado, 3500 HD Duramax/Allison, Long Bed, 4X4

Comment

Without some diagonal braces, all those jacks and blocks won't do bupkis to stop the shakes.

I'd love to talk to the guy though. Hope he doesn't bump it too hard when he hooks the truck up. That trailer could drop a long way off those front blocks.
                Jim & Delores
                2005 30RKFS
                2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
                Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

But, but, but, he's got wheel chocks front and rear. It Can't go anywhere.
                  David & Bonnie (1 Female Cat)
                  2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
                  Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
                  5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
                  Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
                  RV Armor Roof
                  Mor/Ryde IS System with 8K Disc Brakes
                  Goodyear RST G614

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
                  GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
                  Thanks to BC Jim for his generous helping hand

Comment

Originally posted by MAAX2 View Post

that is right .... it is a lever principle .... the further/longer the stabilizers are extended, the easier they are to move .... ie: the longer the lever the less force it takes to move an object

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                      that is right .... it is a lever principle .... the further/longer the stabilizers are extended, the easier they are to move .... ie: the longer the lever the less force it takes to move an object

Jim
                      It's been my experience that the scissor jack "stabilizers" do VERY little to eliminate side to side motion. They reduce up and down motion that the axle springs permit. I don't see the bottle jacks being any better. I can also see side to side play in the front landing legs on our trailer. The difference when I install our Wayne's Stabilizer is night and day. Or Jim, in your case those diagonal braces will really do the job.

A real life example is a tree. Very strong in the vertical direction but they sway in the wind. That's one reason why radio/tv towers have guy wires. The guy wires are the diagonal brace.
                      Jim & Delores
                      2005 30RKFS
                      Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
                        Or Jim, in your case those diagonal braces will really do the job.

the cross braces that My incorporated into our Bigfoot leveling system are excellent .... frankly, with between the tire Bal chocks we seldom actually have found the need for additional stabilization .... I'm sure glad we have it and when we are set up for weeks at a time we will no doubt use them .... I may well remove the OEM rear scissor stabilizers, they really aren't needed any more

Jim
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                          .... I may well remove the OEM rear scissor stabilizers, they really aren't needed any more

Jim
                          Yes, the Bigfoot system takes the vertical load so those scissor jacks are redundant. Sure don't want to carry any extra weight.
                          Jim & Delores
                          2005 30RKFS
                          Jordan Ultima

Comment

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
                            Sure don't want to carry any extra weight.

absolutely, you have no idea how worried I've been about it ..:sack:

Jim
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Maybe the guys other home is a mobilehome and he is just used to all those blocks.
                              Lee
                              Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                              Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                              04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                              07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                              16K Pullrite Super Slide
                              2006 Excel 30RSO
                              All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X