Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save passwords

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Save passwords

    Not only is this note for me but also for the rest of you. After having my laptop crash on me, I tried to access some of my fav sites. Having had most of them saved for years on my fav's list I had forgotten the web addy and passwords for alot of them. Altho narrowing down what the pw's were got easy b/c I only use 2 or 3. But you may want to list your fav sites as well as passwords in case you have a tuff monday and crash your PC/mac.


    BTW I'm back in working order.
    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

  • #2
    Thank goodness you missed your birthday
    Frank and Janet Henn
    Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
    2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
    out of Brandon Mississippi

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh no... I havent back tracked that far... LOL
      08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
      2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
      2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
      hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

      Comment


      • #4
        Do Backups!

        Anyone who has important info on their computer should do a routine backup to a separate hard drive and store it away from the computer - preferably in another building. Large stand alone hard drives can be bought for under $100 and it sure makes a crash a lot easier to recover from.

        I use a password program called 1password which is available for several different platforms. It's on sale right now for $25 for a single user single platform and you are permitted to use it on as many machines as you own. It will generate very complex passwords and the beauty of it is you don't need to remember them, just your master password. In addition, you can load your data on a flash drive and open it in any browser if you happen to be away from your computer or if your computer dies while you are traveling.

        John
        LaPorte, Colorado
        2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow


        To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

        Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

        Comment


        • #5
          I use a password program called signup shield, and keep it backed up on a flash drive.
          Papa Bob
          2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
          2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
          Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
          Champion C46540

          Comment


          • #6
            I just use the same password for everything. It is rather complex with several upper and lower case letters, special charaters and numbers, so that it meets the security requirements of the majority of sites I frequent. I do realize that if someone cracked my password on one place, that they would be able to get into my other sites, but that seems like it would be the same with any of those password storage programs too.
            Frank and Jean
            Retired Navy
            DAV Life Member
            '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
            '03 1500 Silverado LS

            I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
            It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
            The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.



            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Popeye View Post
              I just use the same password for everything. It is rather complex with several upper and lower case letters, special charaters and numbers, so that it meets the security requirements of the majority of sites I frequent. I do realize that if someone cracked my password on one place, that they would be able to get into my other sites, but that seems like it would be the same with any of those password storage programs too.
              Actually, they would have to crack the password on the storage program from within your computer. A good internet security program and a good firewall will negate those attempts to take over your computer remotely.

              Another advantage of many of the PW programs is that they will auto fill thus making key logging software ineffective.

              If you do anything remotely financial from your computer on line, you can never have too much randomness and encryption in your sign on system to defeat todays hackers.

              John
              LaPorte, Colorado
              2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow


              To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

              Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

              Comment


              • #8
                Ah... Who is ever going to figure out my password is [email protected]$sw0Rd1
                Frank and Jean
                Retired Navy
                DAV Life Member
                '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
                '03 1500 Silverado LS

                I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
                It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.



                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  The FireFox web browser has a built-in password program that works well. XMarks is another freeware password program for FireFox users which allows synching all your different computers passwords and favs together. If one crashes, the other computers you linked with (central server protected by master password) has all the same information stored.
                  "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ColoradoNative View Post
                    I use a password program called 1password which is available for several different platforms. It's on sale right now for $25 for a single user single platform and you are permitted to use it on as many machines as you own. It will generate very complex passwords and the beauty of it is you don't need to remember them, just your master password. In addition, you can load your data on a flash drive and open it in any browser if you happen to be away from your computer or if your computer dies while you are traveling.
                    Sounds like a good deal.
                    I have some that are written down in an addressbook.
                    No need to worry about hackers.
                    That program would be uch better than what I do, but I never put personal info online, and don't keep any stored inside it.
                    So they can have at it, and have.
                    Lee
                    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                    16K Pullrite Super Slide
                    2006 Excel 30RSO
                    All Made In the U.S.A.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ray,IN View Post
                      The FireFox web browser has a built-in password program that works well. XMarks is another freeware password program for FireFox users which allows synching all your different computers passwords and favs together. If one crashes, the other computers you linked with (central server protected by master password) has all the same information stored.
                      I use XMarks as well, it's more of a bookmarks and tabs manager. They were in danger of going under about a year ago and were bought out by LastPass. They have extensions for Internet Explorer and other browsers as well as Firefox. I've been using LastPass also, for some time now. It's a very good password and form management product. I think you'd be happy with either or both of these, but they do perform different functions. Best of all, they're free!

                      -Ken
                      sigpic
                      Laissez les bons temps rouler!
                      Ken, Cricket, Blaze, Mysty and Jazzy
                      SunnyTravelers #7479 (Chapter 9, Fair Oaks, CA)
                      2005 31BWKS Triple Slide, Brakesmart, 2006 Dodge 3500 5.9L CTD 4x4 3.73 Dually


                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X