St. Baldricks: Four boys... making a difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Baldricks: Four boys... making a difference

Not sure if this is allowed... but Dad always said, "Apologize later if needed"... so here it goes.

St. Baldricks is an organization that raises money to support efforts in finding a cure for childhood cancer. Their primary fundraising drive each year is in March - where people from all walks of life raise money to have their head shaved. It's all in good fun... and it's an amazing cause. Communities often have group shaves! Our town - Wauconda, IL - shuts down Main St, puts up a giant tent, has live bands, and puts on one heck of a show. Last year over 500 people got shaved at the Wauconda event and raised just over $30,000.

My 10yr old son - Cameron - has participated each year. This year, he wanted to step it up - challenge some friends - and set a stretch goal. Being the entrepreneur his is, he got commitment from three of his buddies and they set a goal to raise $2,000. I was astounded. A tall order for four little half-pints... but they're going after it. Cameron has walked the neighborhood, made 1:1 direct phone calls ---- all on his on --- and he's driven the majority of their efforts. To say this cause is important to him is an understatement. Part of doing this is the boys learn about other kids who either lost their fight... or are fighting today. Man ---- THOSE are tough conversations. I was not successful in holding back tears sharing the stories of some of these kids. A profound line that really impacted Cameron... on 8yr old currently fighting cancer said in her interview... she often wants to sleep with her parents because she doesn't want to die in bed alone. WOW. First of all.... dear GOD I can't imagine. Second of all... what an amazing way to focus these boys on something that shows them so clearly... we are blessed... and we should take on a cause bigger than ourselves because each one of us is capable of making an impact.

Call to action... if you can see fit to support their efforts... $20... $10... anything is helpful. You can make a tax deductible donation at the link provided.
    If you can't - or if you have already supported someone else (or even another charity)... THANK YOU!! We all do what we can... and sometimes... that is simply pray.

Pray for these four boys as they do what they can to bring about a positive impact in their world.
    Pray for their wisdom to see just how lucky they are and to appreciate what many take for granted.
    Most importantly, pray for those kids and families that are living a fight for their lives every day.

Thank you gents!
    I'm shaving my head to raise money for childhood cancer research! Did you know that kids' cancers are different from adult cancers? It's true. And childhood cancer research is extremely underfunded. So I decided to do something about it by raising money for cures. Now I need your help! Will you make a donation? Every dollar makes a difference for the thousands of infants, children, teens, and young adults fighting childhood cancers.
    Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
    2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
    sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
    Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

we are very proud of Cameron, a donation has been sent
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500