Govt is out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Govt is out!

I have been on Medicare for a number of years but the missus will be coming up for Medicare in February. As a retired Fed, I was a member of the Federal Employees Health Benefits group which is a bit of a perk because the size of the group ensured some of the best health care costs were negotiated. In any case, after years with Humana, I was ready to pull the plug on Humana as it would become redundant to our Medicare and related supplement coverage. Called Humana and was told to call OPM who had to initiate the insurance cancel. Humana nor I could do it. Called OPM and got a busy signal... what's up with that? Went to the webisite and it said they ran out of money and posted government regs for employees during a shutdown. Geesh; will be paying DOUBLE come Feb. 1. Hope the brainiacs in Congress can stop the urinary olympics in time for me to drop the old insurance policy. Guess those furloughed likely would not feel that bad for me as they are surely struggling. Recall someone in Congress had been pushing that Congressmen not be paid during a shut down. Guess that didn't have many takers.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Dropping any kind of health coverage is a PITA. They need a form filled out, triple signed and double notarized. And they are the only ones that have access to the form.
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgeorge View Post
      I have been on Medicare for a number of years but the missus will be coming up for Medicare in February. As a retired Fed, I was a member of the Federal Employees Health Benefits group which is a bit of a perk because the size of the group ensured some of the best health care costs were negotiated. In any case, after years with Humana, I was ready to pull the plug on Humana as it would become redundant to our Medicare and related supplement coverage. Called Humana and was told to call OPM who had to initiate the insurance cancel. Humana nor I could do it. Called OPM and got a busy signal... what's up with that? Went to the webisite and it said they ran out of money and posted government regs for employees during a shutdown. Geesh; will be paying DOUBLE come Feb. 1. Hope the brainiacs in Congress can stop the urinary olympics in time for me to drop the old insurance policy. Guess those furloughed likely would not feel that bad for me as they are surely struggling. Recall someone in Congress had been pushing that Congressmen not be paid during a shut down. Guess that didn't have many takers.
      If they ever go back to work, you may want to consider "Suspending" your FEHB, rather than Canceling it, after reading about it on the OPM site it's what I did. If you Suspend it, and anything, for whatever reason comes up where you need to go back to it, it's much easier to get back in, if you Cancel it, there's no going back.
      Easy to do, once you've got the form, just takes a check mark in a different place on the form.
      Bob Hill
      2007 2941DS Forester

Comment

... Guess those furloughed likely would not feel that bad for me as they are surely struggling...
        If struggling, it's their own fault, they'll get it all back. Plus, everybody knows you need to keep a couple of months pay in reserve for emergencies...they need to listen to Dave Ramsey.

www.daveramsey.com
        Bert
        2014 American Eagle
        Freightliner Chassis
        DD 500

Comment

I couldn't suspend; only way to do that is if you have a Medicare Advantage plan. I have A&B but also G&D so no suspending. You MAIL in a form and I also faxed it and you don't get a confirm so not sure if it was seen. We shall see.
          wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

I couldn't suspend; only way to do that is if you have a Medicare Advantage plan. I have A&B but also G&D so no suspending. You MAIL in a form and I also faxed it and you don't get a confirm so not sure if it was seen. We shall see.
            I don't have Medicare Advantage, but I do have Tricare For Life, so maybe that's why I got to Suspend.
            Bob Hill
            2007 2941DS Forester

Comment

Tricare members were allowed to extend but since I didn't retire from the military, don't have Tricare. I was in 3 1/2 years in the regular army.
              wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Yah, the one good thing about being a Double Dipper, retired Military And Retired Civil Service.
                Bob Hill
                2007 2941DS Forester

Comment

Working...
                X