Vancouver to Cache Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver to Cache Creek

Anyone here ever taken Hwy 99 from Vancouver area to Cache Creek?
    We will be starting our AK trip from that area after visiting our son and family.
    It sounds to be a spectacular scenery route, just wondering about taking fifth wheels over it.
    Otherwise, we would go back towards Harrison and thru Hope, which we have already traveled last trip.
    Joe
    '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
    '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
    '10 F450 4x4--new to me
    First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
    Livin to go campin
    In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Originally posted by wingnut60 View Post
    Anyone here ever taken Hwy 99 from Vancouver area to Cache Creek?
    We will be starting our AK trip from that area after visiting our son and family.
    It sounds to be a spectacular scenery route, just wondering about taking fifth wheels over it.
    Otherwise, we would go back towards Harrison and thru Hope, which we have already traveled last trip.
    Joe
    My 2007 milepost shows some places where you might be concerned:
    Mile 88 says "CAUTION: Former logging road, this section of highway 99 is steep and narrow in places with several hairpin turns."
    Mile 109.7 says "CAUTION, northbound travelers expect 13 to 14 percent grades, some of the steepest in British Columbia's road system."
    Mile 132.6 says "CAUTION, 14 percent downgrade northbound and spectacular hairpin bend."
    Truck Brake Check.

I'd do it, but I grew up and grew old on roads like that.
    John

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Thanks for that info. I am finding stuff on internet that seems to supercede the Milepost as the road is said to have been much improved for the 2010 Winter Olympics. My wife was concerned and that is why I am asking--not so much for us but for a couple that will be traveling with us. Supposed to be great scenery and photo ops.
      Hoping to get a review from later years.
      Again, thanks.
      Joe
      '10 F450 4x4--new to me
      Livin to go campin

Comment

I looked at street views on Google maps of that highway in some hairpin turns up near Cache Creek and it does look like spectacular scenery but a narrow highway with no shoulder. I wonder if the Mounties could tell you if your rig could make the tight turns, I don't remember if you are pulling a 5th wheel or in a motorhome.
        Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
        2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
        Previously:
        2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

We took Highway 99 from Vancouver to Whistler this past July. Not sure where Cache Creek is though. Up to Whistler, it is a beautiful scenic highway with no hazards. Well worth the time to stop at all the scenic pulloffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            We took Highway 99 from Vancouver to Whistler this past July. Not sure where Cache Creek is though. Up to Whistler, it is a beautiful scenic highway with no hazards. Well worth the time to stop at all the scenic pulloffs.
            We were going to head that way last Aug. but everything was burning by then
            sigpic
            PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
            2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Just finished traveling from N. Vancouver to Prince George. The section from N Van to Whistler is super nice--4-lane, just lots of curves and hills (Sea to Sky Highway) Very nice views of the ocean.
              Different story going north of Whistler--from there to Pemberton, not a very good surface and lots of slow curves, but doable altho slow. Now, from Pemberton to Lillooet, I would not sic my worst enemy on that road--probably put 6-10 months of wear on the powertrain in about 50 miles. This section is by far the worst I have ever taken an RV on, and the includes all the Colorado passes of note. Starting out of Pemberton, no warning signs, no grades listed--you just start going up with continual sharp curves and steep grades--no way to gain some momentum, just have to grind it out. After starting up and witnessing the temps climb on the truck, I stopped for a cooldown and reassessment. Figured out the truck was trying to do it in too high a gear, so for almost the entire climb, it was 1st gear--2700rpm/20mph, and the temps stayed ok, just worked the engine/trans a tremendous amount. Then, finally reaching the highest point (think the sign said 1323 meters--maybe 4000'?) the downgrade started. Lots of warning signs now, steepest I saw was 15%. It wasn't so much the grades up and down, but the length of the grades.
              This is the first time I have ever said I would not repeat the drive.
              I noted maybe 30 or so Class C rentals (Canadream/CruiseCanada/RoadBear) going the other way--I was thinking, sure hope these guys understand gears and brakes. But I was grossing 28600, so maybe they would not have as bad a time.
              From Lillooet on, not bad and reasonably easy.
              Joe
              Last edited by wingnut60; 06-18-2016, 07:20 AM.
              '10 F450 4x4--new to me
              Livin to go campin

Comment

Working...
              X