Canada entry crossing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada entry crossing

We crossed into Canada on I-5 north of Bellingham. I had just finished dropping off my Glock for shipment up to Tok, AK, where I expect to pick it up.
    4 years ago, we crossed into Canada with nary a hitch, but this time the question was asked: Do you have a CHL? Answered 'Yes'--next question, any firearms with you--answered 'No' Where are they--'at home, except just shipped my pistol to AK. This was probably a mistake on my part, should have just said 'at home' but I don't lie well to cops...Several more pointed questions as to how many I owned, and types. Then we were shunted off to the side and told to go inside and leave the truck keys with them. We did, later realizing they didn't have the keys to the trailer. Got that straightened out, but had to go out with them to show them how to unlock the compartments as several of the locks are quirky, and I did not want a snapped-off key. I could not stay around while they were looking thru truck and trailer, and we had to put the 3 Yorkies in a large kennel cage outside the building--also could not stay by them either, we had to wait inside the ad building with other terrorists and drug dealers.
    After about an hour, we were released to go. Retrieved the dogs and went to the truck/trailer. We could not tell that anything had been disturbed. Thruout all this, they were very courteous, but strictly professional.
    Just a heads-up if you are heading there soon.
    Friends on same trip with CHLs, different route, went thru at Abbotsford, and
    had the same experience. Friends on same trip, entry at Carway, CA, with CHLs, no problem.
    Not sure how to plan for this, but sure glad I didn't even think to try to take it thru, also glad I gave the ammo to the FFL shipper to keep.
    If all goes ok, will pick the Glock up in Tok, have it in AK for the month, and leave it at Tok for shipment to first FFL they come up with around Great Falls.
    I have been RVing since '79 and until about '94 did not carry a weapon. Now, if I don't have it, I am nervous as we like to stop along the way where there is obvious room to stay for the night. We made the AK trip in '12 without a weapon, and no trouble, but for the first couple of weeks, I worried some about not having it, then mostly forgot about it.
    Shipping a gun from an FFL to an FFL dealer is not a problem, you just have to find some that don't mind the hassle of the rules.
    Joe
    '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
    '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
    '10 F450 4x4--new to me
    First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
    Livin to go campin
    In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Canada

This whole story about being hassled is the reason I will never enter Canada again
    Daniel Piippo
    Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
    08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
    5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
    "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
    Retired,
    Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

Comment

Originally posted by amerfinn View Post
      This whole story about being hassled is the reason I will never enter Canada again
      Just leave your guns at home, obey the laws and enjoy beautiful Canada....

BTW, in all your years carrying a weapon with you, just how many times have you been assaulted or even threatened?

Comment

Guidance

I receive some guidance from friends who live on the border and cross over weekly to see friends etc. They said the words you use are "Yes & No", to the question and do not volunteer any additional information. Once you do it's a pandora's box - you never know where the next step is going.
        Westwind
        Rhode Island
        2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
        2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
        Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
        2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
        2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
        Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by amerfinn View Post
          sadly, I agree .... I've seen parts of Canada and would really love to see more of it but that ain't gonna happen
          Jim
          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Too bad, you guys are over-reacting, it's a beautiful country, we are having a great time.
            Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
            2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
            Previously:
            2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

For $25 you can get a non-resident firearms license and take you guns with when crossing the border.
              Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
              Ron Norton
              Katy, TX
              2020 Ram Longhorn 2500 w/Cummins
              2019 Jayco Eagle 272 RBOK
              1989 Avion 34V

Comment

Need to read thru completely--refers only to firearms that " are not restricted or forbidden"--taking a normal pistol out of the equation. To my knowledge, for the vacationer wishing to have a handgun in the vehicle, there is no way. If you want to hunt or compete in shooting meets, there are ways, but not for traveling thru on vacation.

Jim,
                In all the years of going to the club in Orlando, how many times were the victims 'assaulted or even threatened?' Or Aurora, CO, at the movie.
                My choice to have a weapon is personal, I do not flaunt it nor carry exposed. There have been a couple of instances where I felt there was a possibility of a problem, let's just leave it there....

Joe
                '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                Livin to go campin
                In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Working...
                X