Eyes on the road,
      Brain in gear,

Drive safe.
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

• Today's drive had some interesting things along the road. We like to find signs with a sense of humor. Today there was a Raceway sign that read: Have your breakfast in bread. Another one was the V and P Seafood and Deli that boasts of the best turkey wings in town.
        On another line the number of livestock farms/ranches we saw today was more than we saw in 8 weeks in Texas. Of course, some were in Texas between Conroe and Beaumont.
        Off to Florida tomorrow.

Comment

• today's drive covered 322.5 miles in 6 hr 27 min ... not looking forward to seeing what the truck's fuel mileage was because we had a quartering headwind every inch of the way .... during our 3 weeks at Lake Conroe we drove 329.6 non towing miles .... they are working on long stretches of I-10 in both Texas and Louisiana and it really needs it in both states .... in the last few days temperatures have fallen considerably .... they are calling for it to get down to 38 tonight and even lower each of the next 3 nights while we are in Florida and Georgia ... guess its time to dig out the electric heaters
          Jim
          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• We saw a cute sign today on our way to Florida: Moes--In queso emergency!

Alabama has a bumper crop of mistletoe and Mississippi has huge azalea bushes in full bloom.

Comment

• heck of a day's drive .... some may have heard of the horrendous bus wreck that happened today on I-10 in Alabama .... they justifiably closed I-10 and forced all traffic to exit .... from that point on, things went down hill in a hurry .... other than to block subsequent interstate entrances, no form of info was given to the thousands of drivers trying to find their way around the closed section .... it was strictly everyone for themselves .... as frustration grew some aggressive drivers lost it .... as but one example : we were somewhere on a 4 lane divided highway when the line started turning left .... with so many rigs cutting through an opening in the median and across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic .... vehicles trying to cut across that opening and make a left to get into our lanes, where really having trouble finding an opening .... as we sat there waiting to turn left, I saw a Chevy pickup shoot out of the side road, cross the opening and turn left into our lane .... a second vehicle tried to follow him and was T-boned by a semi running full speed ..... they hit 10 - 15 yards from us, the impact was fierce .... the air bags deployed in the small car, I'll be surprised it the driver was able to walk away .... my first reaction was to try and pull over to go help but well before I could do so a bunch of people were out of their vehicles and helping .... the sad thing is, when we did get back to I-10 the entrance was blocked so we had to turn around (not easy in the space available) find another route .... I didn't get far until I saw a sign for a campground ... when I turned, a half dozen rigs followed .... guess they figured/hoped I knew where I was going .... most definitely an erroneous assumption .... between me working with our Garmin and Maureen with her state map, we eventually made our way back onto I-10 .... I didn't check the time but doing so had to take us at least 45 minutes, best guess from the emergency vehicles we saw along the way, we are pretty sure there had to be at least 4 wrecks along the way (behind us) .... it took us 5 hrs and 28 min to cover the 291 miles from our last campground .... we are now setup in Holt, Fla at Eagles Landing .... tomorrow on to Dalton, GA
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• first 5 pictures taken 3-13-18 are of a huge controlled burn beside I-10 near Mississippi marker 61 .... second set of Azaleas in full bloom right outside of Baton Rouge KOA .... last picture is of a cake baked in our Dutch Oven after arriving at our current CG in Holt, FL
                Last edited by JEBar; 03-14-2018, 02:09 AM.
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• I see nothing to eat in those pics?
                  2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                  06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                  16K DrawTite, LineX
                  His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                  Elle and BJ

In the past:
                  97 27RKFS SB
                  04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

• while I fully understand and have no problem with some favoring traveling back roads while traveling .... I've never been one of them and today's 310.9 mile drive that took us 6 hr 2 min confirmed my preference for traveling interstate level highways .... yesterday's drive was impacted by the bus wreck mentioned above .... today's route required us to travel non interstate highways for more than half the distance .... twice our route was blocked by detour signs placed because or road repairs .... both times no further signs were found over the entire detour, one of 15+ miles and one of 20+ miles .... to me there is no excuse for it .... rant off !!!! ... in addition, we did have the unique experience becoming part of an antique car tour .... yep, 30 to 35 mph over a 2 lane road for 20+ miles .... lets just say that the moment they started turning left and getting out of our way was a very happy one .... our plan is to be here in Douglas, GA until Friday morning when we are scheduled to pull out and head home
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• It is supposed to be pretty cold tonight; hope it is warmer and less windy tomorrow. That cold wind chills these old bones!

Comment

• today was spent visiting with family, fueling the truck, making the preparations to get on the road tomorrow morning .... about half way between here and home we are looking forward to linking up with Linda and Norty for lunch at the Cracker Barrel on I-95 near Walterboro, SC .... tomorrow will be the longest one of our entire trip .... per Google Maps 434 miles, taking just over 7 hrs .... our plan is to also stop at the Flying J on I-95 at Latta, SC where we want to top off our truck's fuel tanks at SC prices and to refill one of our camper's 40 lb propane tanks .... it is highly likely that this will be the last time we take on fuel prior to pulling out for South Dakota in June
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• We are ready to go! Call when you know your ETA
                          16K DrawTite, LineX
                          Elle and BJ

In the past:
                          97 27RKFS SB
                          04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

• will do .... should be around 1PM
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• if all goes as planned, this is our final pack-up morning for this trip ..... hate it in a way but at the same time, looking forward to turning the next page
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• Enjoyed seeing you and Maureen. We always meet and eat well.
                                16K DrawTite, LineX
                                Elle and BJ

In the past:
                                97 27RKFS SB
                                04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

Working...
                                X