2018 Summer Trip West

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Summer Trip West

we are making plans for our coming trip to South Dakota .... winter seems to not want to turn loose out there this year .... here it is April 14, 2018 and they had 10" of snow out there earlier TODAY .. .. the picture below was taken on Main Street in Estelline .... the Ice coolers are on the sidewalk in front of the grocery store .... the next building is the Post Office .... the next a cafe .... the picture pretty well shows the drifting snow and limited visibility .... we currently plan to leave home on June 5th, sure hope the weather out there has changed for the better ....
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

April is usually one of our snowiest months, although we didn't get anything out of the storm that hit the plaines. It just kind of skipped over and around us with a lot of cold wind for 2 1/2 days. I think we are in for a very dry spring after this moves out.

June will probably be hot and dry, but this storm gives you something to worry about,
    As a reminder, last May 16, we had 8" of snow in our yard.

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

well, our next to last club outing prior to pulling out for SD identified yet another issue that needs to be resolved .... you know, its amazing just how much damage a 2 year old can do to a glass shower door .... fortunately, it appears to be fixable, I should be able to take care of it without having to buy many replacement parts ....
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

OK, I like snow but I can sure understand how those affected by it may feel differently .... the pictures below were taken within the last hour .... the first shows what the folks in Estelline call the Arena .... it literally borders the campground on the west ..... the house borders the campground on the south .... the snow being cleared from the school that is directly north .... the last picture shows the alley that runs from her brother's home to the campground .... as this is being typed, its 25 degrees in Estelline with it predicted to get down to 14 tonight ....
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

My nieces, sister-in-law and I are planning more festive events to take their minds off this snow!

Comment

Trip Itinerary

June 5 .... Home to Asheville East KOA in Swannanoa, NC ---- https://koa.com/campgrounds/asheville-east/.... reservation confirmed ... 5 hr 8 min / 263.3 miles

June 7 .... to Clarksville RV Park in Clarksville, TN ---- https://clarksvillervpark.com/ .... reservation confirmed 6-1-18 ... 6 hr 20 min / 366.1 miles

June 8 .... to St Louis West KOA in Eureka, MO ---- http://koa.com/campgrounds/st-louis-west/ ....reservation confirmed ---- June 9 & 10 @ Jay Henges ---- https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-n...ucation-center ... 5 hrs / 303.6 miles

June 11 ... to Victorian Acres in Nebraska City, NE ---- http://www.victorianacresrvpark.com/.... reservation confirmed 6-1-18

J-une 12 ... to Estelline, SD .... reservation made and confirmed Jan 2018

August 2 .... to Victorian Acres in Nebraska City, NE

August 3 .... to St Louis West KOA in Eureka, MO ---- August 4 & 5 @ Jay Henges

August 6 .... to Clarksville RV Park in Clarksville, TN

August 7 .... to Asheville East KOA in Swannanoa, NC ---- reservation confirmed 6-5-18

August 8 or 9 .... back home
            Last edited by JEBar; 06-09-2018, 01:13 AM.
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

One of these days on you way through Tennessee, y'all need to setup a night or two at our farm.
              My friends call me Woody (among other things)
              My DW's name is Cindy
              2007 Sunnybrook Brookside 301 RBS
              2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD LTZ dually D/A
              sigpic

Comment

sounds like a good idea to me ..
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                  well, our next to last club outing prior to pulling out for SD identified yet another issue that needs to be resolved .... you know, its amazing just how much damage a 2 year old can do to a glass shower door .... fortunately, it appears to be fixable, I should be able to take care of it without having to buy many replacement parts ....
                  glass shower surround/door fixed .... had to drive up town and buy a 30 cent stainless metal screw .... while repairing the surround I loosened the door and adjusted it so that the fittings on the bottom are now back in the track where they are supposed to be .... hasn't been a significant issue but I'm glad its corrected .... next up, suspension/brake repairs .... they will have to hold until the area under the camper drys out from recent rains
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We're not even passing ships this year.
                    Z
                    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                    Pensacola, FL
                    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

for the last couple of days I've worked on sealing the floor/slide wall seams of our kitchen slide .... permanently sealing one side went really well .... the other side turned out to be much more involved .... later on I towed our daughter's camper to a local tire place .... its time for her to replace her camper's Maxxis tires .... while I was waiting, a fellow in a box truck towing a well stocked trailer setup to provide mobile pressure washing drove in .... he'd stopped by to have a leaking tire fixed .... as we talked I asked him what he'd charge to power wash our daughter's camper .... when he gave me a price, I asked him to stop by our place after his tire was fixed .... shortly there after, he drove in .... I must say is power washing equipment is impressive .... bottom line, he ended up washing our camper and Sportchassis as well .... the outside of all three rigs were way beyond dirty .... ours has made a trip to South Dakota and another to Texas since the last time we hand washed them .... it took him an hour and a half to do what takes us a day and a half .... historically, we have tried to wash them every 6 months or just prior to leaving on our winter/summer trips .... the older I get, the harder that seems to be getting .... tomorrow I hope to take care of sealing the remaining side of our bedroom slide .... Mike (eldermike) worked on for us a while back .... he sure made it look easy .... the replacement protective fender we had to remove in Texas came today .... trying to figure out how to mount is taking a good bit of pondering
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

this morning we are baby sitting our 10 month old grandson .... while here I picked up another couple of hundred rounds of our handloaded 44 Mag ammo .... that gives us a little over 300 rounds on hand .... we are due to pull out in a little over a month on our trip west I hope to be able to take 750 to 1,000 rounds with us .... we've scheduled 4 days on this trip to spend at Missouri shooting parks and do hope for some unscheduled firing while in South Dakota .... by the time we get back we hope have thoroughly exercised our Henry rifles, Ruger Redhawk and 11-87 shotgun ...
                          Last edited by JEBar; 05-03-2018, 04:02 PM.
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

as noted in another thread, we are halfway home with our project to replace the camper's springs, brake hubs W/ Nev-R-Lube bearings, and drum brakes .... we hope to finish that project sometime week after next .... the fender needed to replace the one damaged/removed in Texas (shown below) has been primed .... over the next couple of days we hope to apply a couple of top coats ... I'm pretty sure that installing it is the most difficult item we have left on our pre-trip must do list .... another small thing has been taken care of, that being to update our Garmin GPS .... all it took was 3 hours downloading a ton of data ..
                            Last edited by JEBar; 05-07-2018, 11:48 PM.
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We will miss ya'll coming and going in NC this time. maybe in Oct?
                              2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                              06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                              16K DrawTite, LineX
                              His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                              Elle and BJ

In the past:
                              97 27RKFS SB
                              04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X