No announcement yet.

2018 Summer Trip West

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-3-18 .... 68 , partly cloudy, gentle breeze right now in east central South Dakota .... last night can pretty well be summed up as : lightening flashed, thunder rolled, wind roared, heavy rain, brief silence ----lightening flashed, thunder rolled, wind roared, heavy rain, brief silence ----lightening flashed, thunder rolled, wind roared, heavy rain, brief silence ----lightening flashed, thunder rolled, wind roared, heavy rain, brief silence ---- etc .... all but 1 site in our campground is occupied .... haven't been out to look this morning, sure hope the folks on the other sites around us pulled their awnings in .... when we arrived out here they were in need of rain .... that clearly is no longer the case .... our annual Frogmore Stew is scheduled for this coming Sunday .... preparations begin this morning with a shopping trip to Brookings
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• 7-4-18 ---- completely dry after midnight last night but before daylight a storm rolled through and left plenty of standing water behind (first 3 pictures) .... Estelline pretty much closes down on the 4th .... picture 4 was taken of main street around 11AM .... sign on the town's only restaurant is shown in picture 5 .... not to worry, (picture 6) the area is still well protected ..
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• One neighbor is about to leave; I think one more may leave today. None of the neighbors had loud parties which is different from some years. It is a beautiful morning and the chance of rain is zero. Getting ready for the family to come Sunday will start today. It will be a fun time; it reminds me of the big gatherings my parents hosted over the years.

Comment

• 7-7-18 .... most of today was spent getting ready for tomorrow .... as mentioned above, 20 some of Maureen's relatives are due to come by or a Frogmore .... it's supposed to be warm and windy, typical South Dakota July weather .... looking forward to the gathering .... after tomorrow things should settle down, looking forward to that as well
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• our yearly Frogmore family gathering is over ... we prepare the Frogmore and the others provide deserts .... they really outdid themselves this year .... it marks our last customary responsibility of that type for this trip .... we will have folks over to eat (two families tomorrow night) but no more 20 some person affairs .... it proved to be a hot (for this area) day but with the customary, steady wind, it really wasn't unpleasant .... our 6 site campground really emptied out today, only of us left .... don't know when more are due to arrive but I wouldn't be surprised if more folks pull in pretty quickly ....
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• 7-10-18 .... time marches on and as has long been the norm, it is doing so all too quickly .... with our last "hosting" duties completed, things are once again becoming more relaxed .... that isn't to say we won't have daily visits from friends and family .... Monday - Thursday of this week several of our nieces and nephews are involved in swimming lessons so their families will stop by .... as always, the mid morning and mid afternoon tradition of folks dropping in for "coffee" continues .... we lucked out this morning when a strong storm front moved through just north of us .... its mow over in Minnesota and from looking at the radar, some folks over there are in for a fairly rough time .... we are experiencing some strong winds but this is South Dakota where windy days are pretty much the norm ....
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• 7-13-18 .... following a "dark and stormy night" its truly been a beautiful day in the neighborhood ... the good news is, the forecast for the next few days is even better .... in addition, earlier this afternoon the began work on an upgrade/expansion of the playground equipment in the city park right behind our site (first 2 pictures) .... looking forward to seeing how it turns out .... during our morning walk we say a really nice little storage building (next 2 pictures) .... we also saw a homemade, really nice looking, small ice fishing trailer (last picture)
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• Because there was so little wind yesterday, the flies were bad so we were not outside long. It is a gorgeous morning right now. I expect the installation of the playground equipment to resume soon.

Comment

• 7-15-18 .... those who have followed our travels in Texas know that in several of the areas we visit, lets just say the water quality is very poor .... the pictures below speak volumes .... the first picture shows our water filters after 8 days of use in Estelline, SD .... the second shows the same filter system after 6 days of use on Lake Conroe in Texas .... the water in both places is very hard but the Texas water is also very dirty .... relaxation has pretty much been our major point of emphasis for the last few days .... we are working with some new recipes for use when grilling steaks and pork .... a link on the Honey Mustard steak/onion recipe has already been posted and continues to be a hit .... we are close to posting one for Mustard-Molasses pork chops
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• What is your clue to change the sediment filters? Color? # of days/weeks in use? Fresh filter every set up?
                      Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                      2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                      sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                      Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        What is your clue to change the sediment filters? Color? # of days/weeks in use? Fresh filter every set up?

we use 2 white, string filters in line before the black, carbon filter .... when the second (middle) filter starts to turn color, I take that to mean the first filter needs to be changed .... depending on what I see, what I usually do is rotate the middle one to the left and put a new one in the middle .... this time I changed both white filters, largely because they had been in use in Texas for a short time prior to us leaving in March .... that time includes campsites from Texas to NC; as well as, NC to South Dakota .... the next time I anticipate having to change them will be shortly after we get back to Texas in January
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• How do you store them in-between trips? I once read that used water filters needed to be stored in a fridge to avoid them growing mold/mildew....

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                            How do you store them in-between trips? I once read that used water filters needed to be stored in a fridge to avoid them growing mold/mildew....

I heard that as well and worried about it for a while .... all I can say is I store them in the basement of the camper .... never had a mold/mildew issue .... we will never know the source for the water at all of the CG's we visit .... that said, I believe that the majority of the time we are on treated water that does have chlorine and chlorinated water should retard such development .... Maureen thoroughly monitors our water for both hardness and purity .... she tells me when changes in our softeners is necessary as well as filters in our RO drinking water system
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                              .... she tells me when changes in our softeners is necessary as well as filters in our RO drinking water system
                              Follow the boss's direction... sage advice.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                              sigpic

Comment

• ain't that the truth
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X