2019 Texas Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Texas Trip

we are looking forward to returning to Texas in early January .... our itinerary is far from complete but as it stands now is shown below .... I expect to make a good number of edits between now and when we currently plan to leave home on 1-4-19

1-4-18 ... Home to Heritage RV Park, Augusta, Ga .... projected 282 miles / 4 hr 14 min .... reserved on 11/24/18

1-5-19 ... fuel stop @ Pilot Travel Center #331 .... I-285 Exit 51 ... 2605 Bouldercrest Dr SE, Atlanta, GA 30316 .... 416 miles from home

1-5-19 ... Augusta to Sherling Lake RV Park, Greenville, AL .... projected 339 mi / 4 h 46 min .... reserved on 11/24/18

1-6-19 .... fuel stop @ Pilot Travel Center # .... I-10 Exit 13 .... 6955 Theodore Dawes Road, Theodore, AL 36582 .... 342 miles from last fuel stop

1-6-19 ... Greenville to Baton Rouge KOA, Denham Springs, LA .... projected 314 mi / 4 h 26 min ... . reserved on 11/24/18

1-7-19 ... Denham Springs to Thousand Trails Lake Conroe, Willis Tx .... projected 294 miles / 4 hr 25 min .... reserved on 7/12/2018

1-25-19 ... Willis, TX to Bennett's RV Ranch in Granbury, TX .... projected 239 miles / 3 hr 48 min .... reserved on 8/29/19

1-28-19 ... Granbury, TX to Thousand Trails Medina Lake Campgrond, Lake Hills, TX .... projected 246 miles / 4 hr 30 min .... reserved on 8/1/2018

2-18-19 ... Lake Hills, TX to Thousand Trails Colorado River Campground, Columbus, TX.... projected 165 miles / 2 hr 41 min .... reserved on 8/1/2018

3-11-19 .... Columbus, TX to Thousand Trails Lake Conroe, Willis Tx.... projected 112 miles / 2 hr 4 min .... reserved on 8/28/18

4-1-19 .... Willis, TX to Baton Rouge KOA, Denham Springs, LA .... projected 294 mi / 4 h 25 min ... reserved on 11/24/18

4-2-19 .... Denham Springs, LA to Sherling Lake RV Park, Greenville, AL .... projected 314 mi / 4 h 26 min .... reserved on

4-3-19 .... Greenville, AL to Heritage RV Park, Augusta, Ga .... projected 339 mi / 4 h 46 min .... reserved on 11/24/18

4-4-19 .... Augusta, GA to HOME .... projected 282 miles / 4 hr 14 min
    Last edited by JEBar; 12-02-2018, 03:43 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Maureen has been busy!
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
    16K DrawTite, LineX
    His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
    Elle and BJ

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

she always is .... we've been talking about our next trip to Texas for a good while .... the stars seem to be aligned for us to add a few weeks to next year's trip .... we are planning a straight trip down and back with one (4 day) side trip to visit relatives while we are there .... hopefully the weather will be much better at home when we get back
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We have had more rain here in July than the whole years so far. 5 inches more for the month than ever before.
        16K DrawTite, LineX
        Elle and BJ

In the past:
        97 27RKFS SB
        04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

Too much planning for me. Figure out where you are going, leave a couple of weeks early depending on distance. Saunter on down, stopping where the mood strikes. Texas is drier than a popcorn fart. At least the East Texas part.
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
          2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

I haven't evolved to the point I'm willing to hit the road without advance planning .... we do reserve the flexibility to change plans along the way but looking back, we've seldom had to do so
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

we just booked our last Thousand Trails reservation at Lake Conroe (March 13 - April 1, 2019) .... we still have 3 reservations left to make for parks in which we will overnight on the way down .... reservations for those same parks for out trip home will be made when we get there in January .... historically, this is the point were coming trip starts to get real for us .... thankfully, we don't know of any major work that needs to be done on the truck or camper prior to leaving for Texas .... unfortunately, history has proven all to well, that's subject to change at any second
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                I haven't evolved to the point I'm willing to hit the road without advance planning .... we do reserve the flexibility to change plans along the way but looking back, we've seldom had to do so
                Understood. Some people plan and some wing it. I can go either way but when we bought our RV I wanted to be fully self-contained and we are. I can stop anywhere I can park it and be just fine. That allows a lot more flexibility since I don't have to hunt an RV park. If a trip with a definite place and time to be somewhere we plan. At least the end part. The way down and back is just wing it.
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
                2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Just took a look at the rvparkreviews.com reviews for the Medina Lake park and they were pretty negative:
                  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions...ection-reviews

Not sure what you favor in a park but was disappointed by what I saw in the reviews for this place. Oh yeah, lake is down to 40-45 percent full and not looking good. Hopefully we will get some (well, a lot) of rain!
                  wiredgeorge Mico TX
                  1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

we have camped at Thousand Trails Medina Lake Campground several times and for the most part, the evaluations in your link are pretty accurate .... we enjoy visiting Texas Hill Country .... the main reason we say at Medina Lake is $$$$ .... by the terms of our Thousand Trails membership our first 50 days per year in their parks cost us $12 a day, starting with day 51 we pay $5 a day .... according to our schedule we will reach Medina on the 43rd day of this year's membership ... as such, it will cost us $154 to camp there for 3 weeks .... being a member of Thousand Trails makes it possible for us to travel for months at a time .... as such, we can put up with some inconveniences
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

There are not a ton of RV parks at my end of the lake but there are a bunch in Bandera but you won't be paying $12. I have a Passport America membership and look for 1/2 price parts and also a membership in the TACO, Texas Association of Campground Owners and they give you a few bucks off. Probably should check "Good Sam" while they don't offer as good a discount, there are a lot more parks that offer Good Sam these days; many complain that Passport America is a money loser and almost none will give you more than a few days at half price.

Saw the price online for a years membership with Thousand Trails and it would only make sense to be a member if folks traveled much like you do... for a once a month over a long weekend couple like us, not so much. I also enjoy going to different parks and now that my Dish satellite is in, I can just sit in my slot on my property and might never move again bwhahaha (won't get it activated till tomorrow or Thursday).
                      Last edited by wiredgeorge; 09-04-2018, 11:05 PM.
                      wiredgeorge Mico TX
                      1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

pre trip preparations continue .... a couple of months ago, I would have said that replacing the camper's brakes, springs, bearings and most other suspension components before our last trip would mean we would have very little to do in getting ready for this trip .... going through two hurricanes has changed all that .... within the next few weeks we plan to have the camper's roof replaced and will roll on a waterproof coating on the living area slide .... hopefully that will take care of things
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I really wanted to water proof the top of the camper's living area slide because rain is supposed to move in on Friday .... we've pulled the slide in so that rain shouldn't be an issue .... unfortunately, the way it looks, it will be several days before we can start on the slide .... the relatively sudden fall in average temps requires the air pressure in all of our camper and truck tires to be adjusted .... oh well, that's not a big deal, just something else that has to be done
                          Last edited by JEBar; 10-25-2018, 01:55 AM.
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                            I really wanted to water proof the top of the camper's living area slide because rain is supposed to move in on Friday .... we've pulled the slide in so that rain shouldn't be an issue .... unfortunately, the way it looks, it will be several days before we can start on the slide .... the relatively sudden fall in average temps requires the air pressure in all of our camper and truck tires to be adjusted .... oh well, that's not a big deal, just something else that has to be done
                            I had to add 3-4 lbs before we left NC last week.
                            16K DrawTite, LineX
                            Elle and BJ

In the past:
                            97 27RKFS SB
                            04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

I'm pretty sure ours will take that much or more ....
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                              X