No announcement yet.

2019 Texas Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I finished my part of the outdoor stuff, I made a big pot of chili for supper one night on the road. Having things that I just need to heat up makes life easier after riding all day.

Comment

• 41 degrees, mostly sunny, light wind ... .well the day has come .... time to pack up once again but this time to head home .... anticipated to be about a 300 mile drive .... 1 fuel stop to top off the truck's tanks while still in Texas .... 1 projected rest stop at about half way .... today's drive begins with about 100 miles (2 hrs) over Texas's excellent secondary (mostly 2 lane) roads .... going this way allows us to avoid Houston traffic and its toll roads .... this is the only time during our trips to South Dakota or Texas that we aren't almost exclusively on interstate highways .... hopefully a boring day's drive is on tap ....
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• thankfully, we had an uneventful 310.6 mile / 5 hr 40 min drive that took us Lake Conroe north of Houston to the Baton Rouge KOA .... during our last 3 weeks at Lake Conroe we put 330.5 non-towing miles on our truck .... after topping off our tanks prior to leaving Conroe our truck had delivered 10.2 mpg over just under 500 miles since we last filled the tanks in Columbus, TX .... as noted earlier, that diesel was pure #2, NO BIO .... while the trip was uneventful, things got shaky in a hurry after we got here .... while leveling the camper I noticed stains on the off-door side that looked splotches of some sort of oily liquid .... that prompted me to take a look at the driver's side of the truck .... both front and rear wheel wells/fenders were coated but the tires were clean .... ... I immediately checked all of the truck's fluids and they were all good .... I even got down and worked my way under the truck from the rear and in front of the driver's rear tire .... plenty of signs of oil spray but absolutely no sign of anything leaking .... frankly, I was mystified .... in thinking back all I can come up with is, there was a leak in the driver's side nozzle where I filled the truck .... the area was more than wet.... Maureen went in and told the folks at the counter about it and they said they would come out and close it .... I believe that the driver's side tires picked fuel which was thrown off as we rolled down the road .... 300 miles later, the tire tread was dry but its residue could easily be seen on the areas where the diesel was thrown .... at this point, I can only hope that is the case
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• When you say the "driver's side nozzle" are you referring to the gas station pump nozzle?
          wiredgeorge Mico TX
          1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

• yep .... where the flexible joint on the end of the hose screws into the pump nozzle
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• we hope to be back on the road in about an hour .... we awoke to a beautiful but cool .... morning there must be something in bloom in this area that Maureen and I are highly allergic to .... from that standpoint alone, we are looking forward to getting out of here .... projected 314 mi / 4 h 26 min drive today to Greenville, AL .... one fuel/rest stop about half way in Theodore, AL .... from looking at the posted prices we have seen along the way, the further east and north we travel, the higher fuel prices seem to get .... with all of the flooding that has been going on for the last few weeks, we are most relieved that the high water levels do not appear to have reached this area .....
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• 329.3 miles / 5 hrs 40 min after leaving Baton Rouge KOA, we arrived at Sherling Lakes RV Park in Greenville, AL .... that included an unrushed fuel and rest stop .... we thankfully had beautiful weather, light to moderate traffic, and no drama .... yep, a wonderfully boring day's drive .... shortly after we completed setting up neighbors rolled in on the site next to us .... that's when Maureen met Bella and really enjoyed getting to know her ...
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• long day .... 354.4 miles / 6 hr 3 min .... delayed by a dandy wreck on I-20 in GA at Mile Marker 111 .... a truck towing a car hauler ran off the road and into the woods .... when it came to a sudden stop it launched the vehicles it was hauling .... one pickup jumped the tow vehicle and hit a large tree .... other than that, our drive went well .... we are currently at Heritage CG in Augusta, GA .... it is mostly empty as they are getting ready for 141 campers to be here for the weak of the Masters .... didn't ask but from what I've heard, that is one high dollar week to camp here .... if all goes well, tomorrow's drive should take us home.... Maureen is baking cookies to put in the Cooky Jar at home .... our grandkids will all be coming by and they expect the jar to have an ample supply of cookies
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• we are up and about on a beautiful morning in Augusta, GA .... our final day's drive home should cover under 300 miles and take under 5 hrs .... one projected stop at around the 2 hr mark somewhere in SC for fuel / rest .... I tell folks that our trips are vacations from being retired .... our grandparent duties kick back in immediately .... we are due to pick up our oldest grandson at after school care, keep him overnight and back to school in the morning .... we have been blessed with excellent weather during our drive home from Texas .... the forecast calls for a 100% chance of rain at home tomorrow, sounds like a good day to stay at home unwind a bit
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• 305.9 miles / 5 hr 36 min after leaving Augusta, GA we are back home .... all in all, a boring day's drive, who can ask for more ..?.. after unloading the basic necessities, we picked up our oldest grandson at after school care and took him out to eat .... our calendar is filling up quickly .... its supposed to set in raining in the morning and pretty much wash out the day .... naturally, we are supposed to pick up our tractor that's been in for hydraulic repair first thing in the morning ..... sure hope the rain holds off .... we also need to unload a bunch of stuff from the camper .... oh well, it'll get done sooner or later
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• things have been busy since we arrived back home 3 days ago .... our Texas trip put 4,596.9 miles on our truck .... we still have much to do, with rain due to move in tonight and hang around all day tomorrow, unloading the camper will have to wait another day .... repair supplies due to be shipped in early this week so they will be here when the repair person or persons arrives to take care of the tear in the tear in our camper's roof .... the truck's headlight fixtures have fogged over to where they must be replaced .... we have them in house and plan to have them installed next week .... with heavy film of pollen deposited on everything outside on a daily basis, we've cancelled having our truck and camper power washed .... they will just have to stay grubby for a while longer .... our next big trip is slated to kick off on June 8th when we plan to pull out and head west to South Dakota
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• So far no rain so I will resume camper unpacking today. I hope to get it done but who knows! I will make my 10 000 steps I think today. But it is warm out and not too windy. Just lots of pollen!

Comment

• Pollen?? Make about 2 laps around the outside of my house and you will develop a light green tint to your skin.
                            Clif and Millie
                            Mabank, TX (sorta)
                            2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
                            2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                            2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

• tree and grass pollen were already pretty thick a week ago when we left Lake Conroe .... there was something in bloom at Baton Rouge that really reacted with both of us that it took a few days to get over .... the usual increase in spring pollen levels followed us across country and is in full force here
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• Mid-80s here in the Garden of Eden and supposed to hit lower 90s again today. I think that one day when I took a nap... must have slept through spring. Weeds are growing FAST! Everybody has runny noses/eyes here in paradise as well... weather.com says the cedar trees and ragweed are the biggest culprits.
                                wiredgeorge Mico TX
                                1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

Working...
                                X