No announcement yet.

2019 Texas Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we've seen it both ways .... with water rushing over the spillway and with cattle grazing on the dry bottom of the lake .... having it full has to have a major positive impact on the economy of the entire area surrounding the lake
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Beer sales go up at the boat launch places I guess. Folks ask 7 times more for lakefront houses for sale. The Mico VFD runs 3 times the number of normal calls for mostly the folks who buy the beer while out bobbing around in the lake. FYI, there is now a True Value and a Family Dollar in Lakehills and the place that used to be the Hill Country dollar store is now a pretty decent grocery with inflated prices; don't recall when these things happened but they may be new to you if you haven't been here for awhile.
      wiredgeorge Mico TX
      1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

the last time we were there when the lake was all but dry, even the bars around the lake were closed .... we've bought a few things at both True Value and Family Dollar in Lakehills .... we've also purchased a few things at the local grocery .... we make every effort to have our camper well stocked when we arrive .... unless something unexpected needs to be purchased we usually drive over to Boerne during the middle of our second week there an restock .... at the end of our 3rd week we move to the next CG and restock shortly thereafter .... that's one of the times having a big cooler on the back of our camper comes in handy

today's 309 mile drive took us 5 hrs .... traffic was fairly light and flowed smoothly .... that wasn't the case in the east bound lanes, one construction area had it backed up for miles .... we are going to have to take a serious look at some maps to see if we can figure out a way to avoid it when we head back home .... since leaving home we have put 1,307.5 miles on our truck --- 22.8 engine hours .... we got to or current campground about 2PM .... after backing into our site, I hadn't even turned the motor off when the fellow who I trust to work on our camper pulled in .... he said he was finishing up a repair on another camper when he saw us drive in .... we'd scheduled him to come by tomorrow and take care of issues with our camper's roof TV antenna and the water heater .... he said he'd be happy to work on them right then .... I hadn't even finished hooking up the water, sewer, and electric in the time it took him to take care of the water heater and start of the antenna .... all in all, we came out ahead .... since he was in the park anyway, we only paid him for his time .... he didn't charge us for a service call .... no pictures so far because I ran off and left my camera ... our daughter is going to send it to us .... tomorrow is supposed to really be nice, we should be able to complete our setup and get started on some serious time spent doing next to nothing or even less ..
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

a foggy morning began our first full day at Conroe .... thankfully, when the fog lifted, it became a truly beautiful day in the neighborhood .... also, in the time it took to fog to lift, we completed our setup .... talk about an interesting towed vehicle, the Panel Truck shown below fits the bill
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

another beautiful morning has dawned where we are camped at Lake Conroe .... the forecast is for 0% chance of rain with a high today 62 that sure is nice to hear .... late yesterday another sharp truck idled through the campground ..... from its rumble, its running a decent cam with little exhaust restriction .... yesterday they passed the word around using email and a text message that sometime this morning they are supposed cut the CG water off .... with that notice we took the standard precautions, filled our fresh water tank and cleaned the black tank ... they say that the water won't be off any longer than necessary but didn't mentioned how long "necessary" will be .... later this morning we plan to drive over to Conroe .... after 6 days we need to replenish some food supplies and pick up a few other things
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Bet it had a Chevy engine. Takers?
              Clif and Millie
              Mabank, TX (sorta)
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
              2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
              2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Good deal! Let's start a truck brand war! bwhahahaha Actually, I like to look at vintage trucks (pre 1970 by my definition) and the majority are Chevy trucks; a few Fords and almost no Chrysler brands.... not sure what this means but my 96 keeps on chugging along although it seems as thirsty as the day I bought it (cheap too).
                wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                  Bet it had a Chevy engine. Takers?

good guess .... earlier today I spoke with the owner of the black panel truck ... his is a '53 .... the blue pickup is a '55 .... both are running GM 350's
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

projected low for tonight back home for tonight is 24 degrees .... projected low for tonight where we are camped in Texas is 43 degrees .... needless to say, we are happy to be in Texas .... Maureen has been fighting a strong cold since shortly after Christmas .... apparently she shared it with me, I've been going round and round with it for about a week .... hopefully, we are on the mend .... both of the suction rubber cups that holds our Garmin to the truck's windshield have aged to where they can't support the GPS while bouncing over sections of interstate highway 10 in Louisiana and 20 in South Carolina .... Amazon delivers to Texas so after lunch we rode over to Wills to pickup a replacement mount and spare thermostat for the camper's water heater ... we also happened upon a rig with a tow truck I really like .... tomorrow night we have been invited to the home of friend (gunsmith) who lives in Spring, TX .... he's smoking some ribs, we are really looking forward to it .... we will be able to pick up our Henry 44 Mag and drop off several others for him to work on
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Kind of yucky day here in the Hill Country today... mid 50s and drizzly. Idiot UPS driver set two packages intended for me on SOMEONE'S porch yesterday at 3:16PM. Was surely not mine. I hiked across country to my neighbors who had moved out a couple months ago to look at her porch. Just as I was leaving, she pulls in and it turns out she was supposed to have a package come in yesterday and neither of us had any luck. Hope whoever got a stinky old set of vintage carburetors and some new Xmas lights from Walmart is honest. Driver coming by later today to explain where he actually left these parcels. Geesh, every day is an adventure. BTW: LOTS of pollen in the air where we are and lots of folks are sniffling from allergies.
                      wiredgeorge Mico TX

Comment

mostly clear, 61 degrees, 10 mph wind over here on Lake Conroe .... stay out of that wind and its not bad at all outside ... hopefully you can get the weather straightened out before we get over there .... we are still fighting colds so our energy reserves aren't high as we'd like .... consequently, we are spending most of the time taking it easy .... that ain't all bad ..
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

its hard to believe that one week has passed since we arrived here at Lake Conroe .... for us it has been a week of mostly resting as we both are trying to get over head/sinus colds .... thankfully, we seem to be on the mend .... no major plans for the coming week but we do plan to get out much more often .... lows for the next few nights are dropping, a couple just under freezing .... the good news is, those same projections are calling for some days in the low to mid 70 later in the week ..
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

It is interesting to go to Walmart on a day like today. The folks are either dressed for the chilly wind or are dressed as if it was mid- summer. Nuts

Comment

Did Jim forget to close the door when y'all left NC? Supposed to be in low 20's Sat and Sun.
                              Clif and Millie
                              Mabank, TX (sorta)
                              2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
                              2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                              2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

some of the folks camped near us at Conroe are asking much the same questions .... they are calling for 25 here Saturday and Sunday night as well .... personally, I believe the cold air came in some folks from Canada ...
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X