A Different Type of Trip For Us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Different Type of Trip For Us

in October we will have been married for 44 years and neither of us can remember ever taking a road trip that wasn't directly related to some specific objective .... we've talked it over and decided we want to take such a short road trip simply for the heck of it .... for us the logical direction to go is to the Caroling coast .... according we just booked a room to spend a couple of days at Carolina Beach, arriving on Sept 10th and leaving on the 12th .... after considerable looking we decided to go with a small motel the reminds me of the ones my family used back in the '50's, as opposed to one of the high rise franchise hotels .... with school back in session I was surprised at the number of motels/hotels throughout that area that are booked solid .... there are still many such motels down there, we chose to go with the Sea Witch Motel .... it is about a 130 miles down I-40 which should be cheap, fun drive in Maureen's Camaro .... now I have to get busy and find some good seafood restaurants ..
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Don't plan too much Jim! Just drive down there and wing it for a real change of pace.
    Dorothy and I used to do that a lot and it's fun to explore an area without any plans set in stone.
    Try it you may like the freedom!

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

suggestion appreciated .... our only plans are to relax, eat some seafood .... if we see something interesting we may explore it ....
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

My wife and I once planned a bike trip up through New England on US1 during the early fall to look at the leaves. We lived in Maryland at the time. It was raining up north along the east coast so we just headed over to US17, Ocean Highway and went south all the way to Jacksonville and stayed in small towns along the way. I have often made plans only to have God chuckle. I planned on being fat, old and rich and God gave me 2 out of 3. We still enjoy long bike trips (actually a trike these days) as they are a bunch more spontaneous than RV trips which are more a campaign with a lot of planning. It is nice to huddle in our 5ver at night and live in our own familiar space but cheap motels are a passion of mine and I go on back roads till I smell curry cooking and look for that sign that says $17 a night! The challenge can't be beat... well until the missus puts a stop to it and makes me stop at a not-so-cheap place.
        wiredgeorge Mico TX
        1996 F250 7.5L 2002 Keystone Cougar 278RKS

Comment

That's what I'm talking about!

John
          LaPorte, Colorado
          2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

two words ====> Hurricane Florence !!!
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

those two words are growing larger ====> Hurricane Florence !!!

Tropical Storm Florence is reported to be intensifying over the Atlantic Ocean ..... it is increasingly likely to either landfall or strike a part of the U.S. East Coast as a formidably strong hurricane mid- to late next week.... the latest forecast calls for it to be still be well off shore when we are due to leave on Wednesday morning .... if conditions warrant, my wife's Camaro will most certainly head west on I-40 earlier than planned
              Last edited by JEBar; 09-08-2018, 02:01 PM.
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

believe it or not, we are going to pull out in a few minutes and head toward the coast .... over a month ago we decided to take a short trip to Carolina Beach (Wilmington) .... at that point there hadn't been a single hurricane type storm in the Atlantic this year .... we made reservations for Sept 10 - 12 to stay at a small old school, water front motel .... it is supposed to hit our coast on Thursday and move on inland .... we plan to be home around Noon on Wednesday and button things up .... we anticipate flooding in our area (not right were we live), trees down on power lines and roads .... the local weather guys say it could get pretty rough
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We came home from a trip to button up but now we are just hanging tight since it has turns east enough to not hit us. maybe very little impact.

Be safe!
                  2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                  06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                  16K DrawTite, LineX
                  His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                  Elle and BJ

In the past:
                  97 27RKFS SB
                  04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

its been a beautiful day in the neighborhood .... when we checked in at noon there was no indication that we couldn't spend two nights and head home on Wednesday .... apparently something has changed because we have been informed that the local authorities have ordered beach front motels closed tomorrow ... therefore, we plan to get up in the morning, spend a while at the beach and then head home .... if Florence reaches Category 4 strength and hits where they say is most likely, there is going to be major damage .... catastrophic may well be understating it
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Jim/Norty,
                      Listening/watching on weather channel, sounds like the real thing. Hope it does veer northward.
                      And, yep, it is CAT 4 now
                      Be safe, hunker down.
                      '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                      '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                      '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                      First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                      Livin to go campin
                      In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Be careful driving, the roads will be full of escapees....
                        Clif and Millie
                        Mabank, TX (sorta)
                        2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
                        2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

Something about the best laid plans of mice and men comes to mind.
                          Clif and Millie
                          Mabank, TX (sorta)
                          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
                          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

during our drive down this morning we did see bunches of boats on trailers being towed away from the cost .... we also some campers heading inland but not anywhere near as many as we anticipated .... with them closing the motels, I fear we will be in heavy traffic for most of the drive home
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Jim, that Florence looks like it is taking a bead on your neighborhood! Be safe.
                              2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                              06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                              16K DrawTite, LineX
                              His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                              Elle and BJ

In the past:
                              97 27RKFS SB
                              04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X