• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginnings & Endings

Merry Christmas to all!

Part One

Christmas Greetings from Alabama!

2018 is quickly coming to an end, and it has been a memorable and busy year! This year, our travels took us to states out West, adding five new states to our list of places camped: Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, and Washington. We had planned to add all five Capitols to our growing list as well, but the Wyoming Capitol was under renovation and restoration (we learned the difference this year), and we changed our plans before we got to Washington, which is why we missed touring the Capitol there. This has most certainly been a year of firsts and lasts, beginnings and endings, and new adventures.

When we were in Colorado, we were blessed to be able to spend time with long-time friends, and to have dinner one night with a former student and her husband. Learning to travel like the locals makes getting around less stressful, so while we were in the Denver area, we took the light rail into town from the campground. The day we visited the Capitol, Spiderman surprised everyone when he stepped onto our bus downtown, and before our tour of the Capitol building, someone snapped a picture of Dan and me sitting at the mile-high marker on the Capitol steps. During our stay in Colorado Springs, our last stop this year, we walked the trail to the U.S. Air Force Academy, took a three-hour Jeep tour in the mountains, fed a giraffe at the zoo, visited the Garden of the Gods, and spent a special day with long-time friends, enjoying a train ride and lunch through the Royal Gorge. When we passed under the Royal Gorge Bridge, I added a new item to my bucket list; I want to walk across the bridge!

As interesting as our tour of the Capitol in Boise, Idaho was, I think we enjoyed our tubing trip down the Boise River the most. After all, what better way to spend three hours on a hot, sultry day in Boise when the temperatures are in the triple digits! The water was cold, but refreshing, and the river and its wildlife beautiful. We went unprepared, however, for rapids! It was clear who the locals were because they all had paddles. The trip down the river was so different from kayaking in which the paddler is in control (most of the time anyway). So I was glad that I had a place to sit down inside the tube, and extremely thankful for the handles as I went spinning and bouncing over the white water
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Okay - I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm having trouble getting my text to show up too. However, it's time for me to get things moving here. We have a lot of work to do today. So on Thursday, when it's raining, I'll get the rest of our newsletter posted, and the pictures to go with it.

Merry Christmas to all!

Z
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Newsletter - Part Two
      [FONT="Arial"]I don
      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
      Pensacola, FL
      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
      2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Okay - I'll keep trying...at least there are pictures this time.
        Z
        Dan & Zerelda Hammer
        Pensacola, FL
        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Other pictures from newsletter
          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
          Pensacola, FL
          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Dan & me on the tractor - yep - I'm learning, in small steps, how to use that monster.
            Dan & Zerelda Hammer
            Pensacola, FL
            SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
            2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Way to go! Lynda drove a tractor when she was a teen and would have to teach me.
              2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
              06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
              16K DrawTite, LineX
              His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
              Elle and BJ

In the past:
              97 27RKFS SB
              04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
                Way to go! Lynda drove a tractor when she was a teen and would have to teach me.

I dropped my first tree last weekend, pulling it over with the tractor. What fun!
                Z
                Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                Pensacola, FL
                SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Originally posted by rvduo View Post

I dropped my first tree last weekend, pulling it over with the tractor. What fun!
                  Z
                  PLEASE be careful. Lost a close friend doing this...

He had cut down a tree and hooked a chain to it to pull it out. As he was pulling it, the tree caught the ground and rolled over. As it rolled... a limb came around and struck him in the back of the neck. Killed him instantly.

Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                  2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                  sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                  Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

PLEASE be careful. Lost a close friend doing this...

He had cut down a tree and hooked a chain to it to pull it out. As he was pulling it, the tree caught the ground and rolled over. As it rolled... a limb came around and struck him in the back of the neck. Killed him instantly.
                    Safety first. Dan put me far enough away to keep me safe. I was more worried about Dan & the neighbor standing near the tree.
                    Z
                    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                    Pensacola, FL
                    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
                    X