No announcement yet.

2019 Summer Trip West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is a poor setup at best with the way it was designed. I know you’ve been using it for a number of years. Whenever you weld relatively thin gage metal together, especially when a butt weld is being used, you can easily end up with a broken weld. When you redo it I’d put a new longer tailpiece into the trailer hitch and then also add strengthening brackets to both sides in the form of a triangle. The bigger the triangle the stronger the welded joint will be. Those type carriers are not rated to carry all that much weight either. By the time you add up the weight of the Yeti, the meat inside, and then ice, my guess is it’s pretty heavy.

Just my 2 cents worth. Your fortunate you didn’t loose your cooler and it’s contents not to mention the possible damage to other vehicles.
    David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
    2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
    Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
    5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
    Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
    Externabond Roof Seams
    Wet Bolt Kit
    7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
    GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
    Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

• we've been using it for about 10 years .... I've been thinking along the same lines that you mentioned ..... the good news is I have several months to take care of it .... once we get home and I get it off to where I can take a good look at it, I'll be able to decide if repair or replace is the best way to go
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• a little while ago we moved the Yeti cooler from the carrier on the rear of our camper to placing it on the bed of our truck .... it probably would have been OK to leave it on the carrier but I simply wasn't comfortable doing so .... as I've noted many times, I much prefer boring drives when we have a camper in tow .... its hard to believe that this trip is coming to a close and that we are due to pull out and head home in the morning
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• back in post 92 on July 10 I showed picture 1 below .... in it a local road southwest of Estelline, Highway 81 south of Arlington, that was flooded back in March could be seen .... the next two pictures show the efforts to raise that same road today and get it high enough to get above the flooding ....
          Attached Files
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

• trip summery and a few comments :

last day's drive from Asheville, NC to our home -- 254.1 miles / 5 hr 3 min

total distance driven driven the trip -- 4,866.8 miles

distant driven from where we filled at the Haw River flying J (NC I-4 exit 150) to Volga, SD -- 1,6984 miles / averaged 9.2 MPG

distant driven from where while in South Dakota -- 1,236.5 miles / averaged 11.7 MPG

distant driven from Volga, SD back to the Haw River flying J (NC I-4 exit 150) to -- 1,798.4 miles / averaged 9.5 MPG

when we arrived home we found that our heat/AC high tech thermostat is dead .... temp in the house was 90 .... delivered most of the steaks .... slept in the camper parked in our back yard .... hooking up in a few minutes to head east so we can camp with our club and will deliver the rest of the steaks .... due to return home on Sunday .... depending on temps, will sleep in our camper until AC is available on Thursday .... all in all, a very good trip .... already planning an October trip Chesapeake and going back to Texas in January
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
            X