No announcement yet.

2019 Summer Trip West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the campgrounds in that area we have spoken with all tell us that it will take months for them to fully reopen I-29
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

well, we are continue see reports that I-29 will be closed for a good while longer .... being one who prefers to finalize out trip plans for as far in advance as is possible (example, out reservations needed to spend 3 weeks in October were made over a month ago), we have changed our route to south Dakota .... out itinerary shown in post 1 in this thread has been edited accordingly .... the first time we made this drive to Maureen's hometown was in 1977 .... since then we have driven it over 40 times and have flown out there once .... over the years, making sure that almost all of the way is over interstate highways, we've driven it about every possible way .... oddly enough, no matter which way you go, its something over 1,500 miles drive .... per Google Maps, the route shown in post 1 is 1,555 miles which is a bit shorter than the 1,598 miles going the way we usually go
      Last edited by JEBar; 05-04-2019, 07:52 PM.
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

one month from tomorrow we are scheduled to arrive in Estelline .... we've reached the point were we have taken care of all known issues with our camper and truck .... as usual at this point, paranoia is now setting in .... our thoughts are drifting into the what should we replace that's working right now but might cause trouble on the trip territory .... we are still a couple of weeks from repacking the camper's basement to remove winter/Texas items and replace them with summer/Estelline items ....
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

our last scheduled outing prior to pulling out for South Dakota 20 days from now on June 8th went pretty well .... we use these club campouts to test camper and truck systems .... this time 2 issues developed .... first a 2" aluminum weld on our Porta-Steps broke .... see last picture in this thread.... second, the cap (one can be seen in this link) on the electronic stove igniter we installed back in March of 2014 (see this thread) cracked .... a replacement is on the way .... by the way, they are under a freeze warning for tonight, sure hope all of that type of foolishness has departed the area well before we get out there ..
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

You gotta watch that global warming....
            Clif and Millie
            Mabank, TX (sorta)
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
            2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
            2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

the good news is, the freeze warning is over .... the bad news is, two flood warnings remain .... the step weld mentioned above has been repaired, see this link .... based on projected daily high temp forecast, Wednesday will be the day I plan to spend several hours unloading, repacking and cleaning up the camper's basement storage area .... the reality that we are due to pull out in 19 days is setting in .... there are a few food items that are available locally and some that we prepare at home which we really enjoy but don't have the freezer space to take all we would like to have for a 3 month trip .... a simple --- why didn't we think of this before ? ---- type of solution has been recognized .... example : for my taste, Bass Farm Hot Country Sausage is the best commercial sausage on the market .... and, our home smoked bulk sausage, processed and sold by McLamb's Abattoir & Meats (AKA : slaughterhouse) is our favorite smoked sausage ... with these and other things we can transport them for a week in our Yeti cooler and then freeze them at one of Maureen's brother's home .... nothing complicated about that, can only wish we'd of thought of it before now
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

with the forecasted today being 82 and for it to jump to 95 over the weekend, today will be a busy one .... it should take an hour or so to remove Texas items from the camper's basement, vacuum the area, and pack South Dakota items .... notice I said should, history says it ain't likely to get done that quickly .... we continue to monitor the weather in the areas we are planning to pass through .... some have been hard hit with spring rains and now with heavy storms .... sure hope things settle down quickly .....
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Are you running from these??? skull.jpg
                  Clif and Millie
                  Mabank, TX (sorta)
                  2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
                  2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                  2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

thankfully, we haven't seen any of them around here .... now down east in the Great Dismal Swamp its a different story ....
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I hope the flooding the area of SD that we will be in will have stopped and things will be drying out. I learned yesterday that farmers face being unable to plant all their acres due to the standing water. Bread and corn flakes will most likely get more expensive.
                      The lake west of my hometown is above flood stage and is over 2 highways.

Comment

reports of flooding in the Midwest abound .... the pictures below are of Lake Poinsett which is located about 7 miles west of Estelline, SD where we spend our summers .... the first was taken on April 17th, the rest were taken yesterday .... parts of HWY 28 which runs from Estelline to the lake are flooded .... as are sections of roads on all 4 sides of the lake
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

It will likely be awhile before that area recovers. Wow. Saw on the news where Oklahoma looked almost as bad with flooding!
                          wiredgeorge Mico TX
                          2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

up to 25" of snow in the Black Hills yesterday ...

Last edited by JEBar; 05-22-2019, 08:55 PM.
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

as anticipated, removing Texas items, cleaning/vacuuming, packing Estelline items took more time than anticipated .... the good news is, I found some tools that I knew were in the basement but had no clue where .... with the exception of applying a thin coat of grease to the pin, greasing the zerks on the hitch, washing the truck's windows, and taking on fuel, normal packing is all that remains ....
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

a few times over the years we've had to deal with mice in the camper .... so far, we've been lucky in that none have ever lived long enough to setup housekeeping .... with our camper parked in the back yard, I'm in and out on almost a daily basis ... last week I had the doorside basement door open a when I closed it up, I left a roll of paper towel inside .... when I opened that door the next day, it was easy to see a mouse had been collecting nesting material .... baited the traps and the next morning I found that the culprit had been duly executed .... with no sign since of any additional vermin, my hope is all's well .... never the less, I do plan to leave baited traps out until we head west .... as noted in this thread we also took care of replacing a broken stove sparker button .... glad to have that one checked off
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X