Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    9 days until we are scheduled to pull out .... its been a busy morning .... paper products and other items purchased yesterday at Sam's have been stored .... we were able to make some room in some of the interior storage cabinets by removing items that we simply don't use .... we also removed the insulation cushions from all three ceiling vents and put them in storage .... Maureen has shampooed most of the carpet .... tomorrow we will move furniture and she will finish the carpet ....

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    in our progression through months, then weeks, now days to June 8th, when we are scheduled to leave home and head west, today has been a GOLD STAR DAY .... that following a thorough going over this morning by my Cardiologist it has been determined that all systems are go .... next appointment set for 6 months with no changes to meds or anything else .... to make it even better, no further medical appointments of any kind are scheduled until after we get back home in August .... we did get to Sam's and left there with about all our Trailblazer can haul .... it will take a while to get 3 months worth of paper products and other items stored .... with record breaking heat on tap for tomorrow, we probably won't get out there to store things for a few days

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    as expected, another hot and dry day .... it took me until well after lunch to disassemble, clean and reassemble the rifles and shotgun we plan to take with us .... Friday afternoon I hope to ride over to a family range and sight in a new scope on one of the rifles we plan to take .... once that is completed, I'll give it another good cleaning so it will be ready to pack next week .... as noted earlier in this thread, flooding along I-29 north of KC we've had to change our route .... some of our new route will take us near some of the areas that have been experiencing bad weather for the last few days .... we are getting more and more reports from the Estelline area of flooding that has prevented many farmers from getting into their fields .... with their relatively short growing season, that can prove to be a major problem .... if things don't turn around in a big hurry, this could be a really rough season for them

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    our trip prep has it a bit of a lull .... other than topping off our truck's fuel tanks, its pretty much ready to roll .... we do continue to purchase and pack supplies but its too early for last minute packing of the camper .... with multiple gatherings which are centered on rifle, pistol and shotgun shooting, the process of selecting what to take with us has been going on for a while .... I guess with them calling for record high temps and high humidity, today would be a good one to stay inside and start the cleaning process ...

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    two weeks from tomorrow we are due to hit the road .... not each day but most days between now and then we need to purchase and pack a wide range of supplies for both the truck and camper .... most will be purchased next Wednesday when we make a stop at the local Sam's .... where we spend the summer its a 160+ mile round trip to the closest Sam's .... with our truck, it literally pays to minimize such drives .... so, we make it a point to stock up on consumable supplies prior to leaving home .... today's purchase of two 80 oz jugs of Diesel Kleen was a minor one .... they should take care of treating all of our fuel that our truck will burn between now and when we get to South Dakota .... history tells us that we will need to purchase one more jug just prior to leaving so as to have more than enough to get us home ....

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    a few times over the years we've had to deal with mice in the camper .... so far, we've been lucky in that none have ever lived long enough to setup housekeeping .... with our camper parked in the back yard, I'm in and out on almost a daily basis ... last week I had the doorside basement door open a when I closed it up, I left a roll of paper towel inside .... when I opened that door the next day, it was easy to see a mouse had been collecting nesting material .... baited the traps and the next morning I found that the culprit had been duly executed .... with no sign since of any additional vermin, my hope is all's well .... never the less, I do plan to leave baited traps out until we head west .... as noted in this thread we also took care of replacing a broken stove sparker button .... glad to have that one checked off

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    as anticipated, removing Texas items, cleaning/vacuuming, packing Estelline items took more time than anticipated .... the good news is, I found some tools that I knew were in the basement but had no clue where .... with the exception of applying a thin coat of grease to the pin, greasing the zerks on the hitch, washing the truck's windows, and taking on fuel, normal packing is all that remains ....

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    up to 25" of snow in the Black Hills yesterday ...

Last edited by JEBar; 05-22-2019, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wiredgeorge
    replied
    It will likely be awhile before that area recovers. Wow. Saw on the news where Oklahoma looked almost as bad with flooding!

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    reports of flooding in the Midwest abound .... the pictures below are of Lake Poinsett which is located about 7 miles west of Estelline, SD where we spend our summers .... the first was taken on April 17th, the rest were taken yesterday .... parts of HWY 28 which runs from Estelline to the lake are flooded .... as are sections of roads on all 4 sides of the lake
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Leave a comment:

• MGBar
    replied
    I hope the flooding the area of SD that we will be in will have stopped and things will be drying out. I learned yesterday that farmers face being unable to plant all their acres due to the standing water. Bread and corn flakes will most likely get more expensive.
    The lake west of my hometown is above flood stage and is over 2 highways.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    thankfully, we haven't seen any of them around here .... now down east in the Great Dismal Swamp its a different story ....

Leave a comment:

• avvidclif
    replied
    Are you running from these??? skull.jpg

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    with the forecasted today being 82 and for it to jump to 95 over the weekend, today will be a busy one .... it should take an hour or so to remove Texas items from the camper's basement, vacuum the area, and pack South Dakota items .... notice I said should, history says it ain't likely to get done that quickly .... we continue to monitor the weather in the areas we are planning to pass through .... some have been hard hit with spring rains and now with heavy storms .... sure hope things settle down quickly .....

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    the good news is, the freeze warning is over .... the bad news is, two flood warnings remain .... the step weld mentioned above has been repaired, see this link .... based on projected daily high temp forecast, Wednesday will be the day I plan to spend several hours unloading, repacking and cleaning up the camper's basement storage area .... the reality that we are due to pull out in 19 days is setting in .... there are a few food items that are available locally and some that we prepare at home which we really enjoy but don't have the freezer space to take all we would like to have for a 3 month trip .... a simple --- why didn't we think of this before ? ---- type of solution has been recognized .... example : for my taste, Bass Farm Hot Country Sausage is the best commercial sausage on the market .... and, our home smoked bulk sausage, processed and sold by McLamb's Abattoir & Meats (AKA : slaughterhouse) is our favorite smoked sausage ... with these and other things we can transport them for a week in our Yeti cooler and then freeze them at one of Maureen's brother's home .... nothing complicated about that, can only wish we'd of thought of it before now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X