• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    trip summery and a few comments :

last day's drive from Asheville, NC to our home -- 254.1 miles / 5 hr 3 min

total distance driven driven the trip -- 4,866.8 miles

distant driven from where we filled at the Haw River flying J (NC I-4 exit 150) to Volga, SD -- 1,6984 miles / averaged 9.2 MPG

distant driven from where while in South Dakota -- 1,236.5 miles / averaged 11.7 MPG

distant driven from Volga, SD back to the Haw River flying J (NC I-4 exit 150) to -- 1,798.4 miles / averaged 9.5 MPG

when we arrived home we found that our heat/AC high tech thermostat is dead .... temp in the house was 90 .... delivered most of the steaks .... slept in the camper parked in our back yard .... hooking up in a few minutes to head east so we can camp with our club and will deliver the rest of the steaks .... due to return home on Sunday .... depending on temps, will sleep in our camper until AC is available on Thursday .... all in all, a very good trip .... already planning an October trip Chesapeake and going back to Texas in January

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    back in post 92 on July 10 I showed picture 1 below .... in it a local road southwest of Estelline, Highway 81 south of Arlington, that was flooded back in March could be seen .... the next two pictures show the efforts to raise that same road today and get it high enough to get above the flooding ....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    a little while ago we moved the Yeti cooler from the carrier on the rear of our camper to placing it on the bed of our truck .... it probably would have been OK to leave it on the carrier but I simply wasn't comfortable doing so .... as I've noted many times, I much prefer boring drives when we have a camper in tow .... its hard to believe that this trip is coming to a close and that we are due to pull out and head home in the morning

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    we've been using it for about 10 years .... I've been thinking along the same lines that you mentioned ..... the good news is I have several months to take care of it .... once we get home and I get it off to where I can take a good look at it, I'll be able to decide if repair or replace is the best way to go

Leave a comment:

• Bkins
    replied
    That is a poor setup at best with the way it was designed. I know you’ve been using it for a number of years. Whenever you weld relatively thin gage metal together, especially when a butt weld is being used, you can easily end up with a broken weld. When you redo it I’d put a new longer tailpiece into the trailer hitch and then also add strengthening brackets to both sides in the form of a triangle. The bigger the triangle the stronger the welded joint will be. Those type carriers are not rated to carry all that much weight either. By the time you add up the weight of the Yeti, the meat inside, and then ice, my guess is it’s pretty heavy.

Just my 2 cents worth. Your fortunate you didn’t loose your cooler and it’s contents not to mention the possible damage to other vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    hrs it took us 7 hr 33 min to complete today's 369.9 mile drive from Clarksville, TN to our current campground located just east of Asheville, NC .... yep, 7 hr 33 min .... the drive itself went smoothly and was uneventful .... as is our normal practice when returning home from the west on I-40 we fill our trucks tanks at the Pilot at Exit 417 where today we paid $2.76 for fuel .... the station just down the road from our current campground has diesel listed for $3.29 .... whenever we stop while traveling, I make it a practice walk around our rig and look things over .... today at the pilot, it was a good thing I did .... it was easy to see the carrier on which we mount our Yeti cooler filled with over $2,000 worth of steaks was tilted (picture 1) at an angle indicating something was wrong .... that something proved to be a weld (picture 2) .... at that time we had 90 miles left to drive to our campground .... thankfully, they had a tire shop in the parking lot of that Pilot .... I went over and asked a fellow if they had a welder in their shop .... the good news was, they had a welder .... the shop didn't do any welding for customers .... the best news is, he told me that if we could wait for him to finish installing two new tires on a semi, he'd weld it for me off the record .... we waited, he welded it, (picture 3) slipped him $10 more than he asked for and we were on our way .... his weld held but I don't like the angle .... tomorrow we plan to move the cooler to the bed of our truck for the rest of the drive home .... sometime after we get back home I plan to cut the bent pieces and weld them back together
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    morning rain has moved on but climbing temp and humidity remain behind .... both roof AC's working well .... highlight of the day will be linking up with Shirley and My (myvann) .... we are really looking forward to seeing them again ....

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    hated to do so but this morning we had to leave Oak Grove (KC) and drive to Eureka (St Louis) .... 241.9 miles / 4 hr 5 min .... while in KC we put 130.9 miles on our truck .... shortly after we arrived at the St Louis West / Route 66 KOA a friend came by and we delivered $600 worth of prime South Dakota Ribeyes .... he works at the local Boeing plant where they make fighter aircraft and does heating / AC on the side .... as such he got up on top of our camper and cleaned / serviced both AC's .... plans for tomorrow and Sunday are centered on trap shooting at Jay Henges State Shooting Park ....

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Is that ketchup all over that meat? And the bottom picture? What is the white stuff? In Texas, we are not keen on white stuff on our food. This is a picture of the pit at Cooper's BBQ in LLano; perhaps the best in the world!
    the white stuff is melted cheese .... no ketchup, its a KC style BBQ sauce, unsure what brand .... it was served in a sizzling hot cast iron pan .... I normally don't order dishes like it but the picture in the menu caught my attention .... glad I did

Leave a comment:

• dzwiss
    replied
    Originally posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Is that ketchup all over that meat? And the bottom picture? What is the white stuff? In Texas, we are not keen on white stuff on our food. This is a picture of the pit at Cooper's BBQ in LLano; perhaps the best in the world!
    X 2 on Coopers

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    thunder rumbled most of last night .... the weather for our drive east to St Louis looks good .... 90+ degree heat on tap for the weekend ....

Leave a comment:

• wiredgeorge
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    good days, two really good days .... both days I met fellows from the Henry Firearms Forum Lake City Range at noon (pictures 1 & 2) .... yesterday we shot Trap (picture 3) and then moved to their Pistol Range (picture 4) .... all were revolvers, the most unique was an Uberti .45LC Russian....Uberti 1873 Cattleman II New Model, .357 Mag and a 45 Long Colt .... an old S&W 32, a small 38 S&W and several others .... it was interesting to see my first single shot Henry 20 ga .... really a nice looking, solidly built shotgun .... Tuesday night we at at Jack Stack BBQ (picture 6) in Lee's Summit .... a really good restaurant that we can strongly recommend .... I ordered a combo plate of Pork ===> baby back ribs, burnt ends and shredded (picture 7) .... I'd never heard of burnt pork ends, every thing was excellent ....today's shooting was dedicated to rifle shooting .... really good collection of rifles available .... 357 (lever and single shot), 44 Mag, 45-70, 300 WBY Mag, 223, 308 and I'm sure I've left out some .... to say that I'm really impressed with that Long Ranger would be a major understatement .... the guys all shot well shoot .... hot and humid during the two hours we spent shooting .... didn't realize how much it took out of me until I got back to the camper, took a shower and sat down ... side note, I was impressed by Evan's mule (shown below) .... I'm going to have to get serious about finding one .... tonight we went out to eat at Islamorada Fish Company at the KC Bass Pro .... tonight I ordered french fries, covered with pulled pork BBQ, cheese, KC BBQ Sauce and spring onions (picture 8) ---- yep, I'd order it again .. .... tomorrow we are scheduled to move east to St Louis
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    our next move won't be until Friday when we are due to move to St Louis .... tomorrow and Thursday will be spent at the Lake City Range.... shooting with friends from the Henry Rifle Forum ... Wednesday will be spent shooting trap and handguns .... Thursday will be spent firing long guns .... Wednesday and Thursday nights we have been promised to eat at two of KC's top BBQ restaurants .... I've been look forward to this for a good while ....

Leave a comment:

• avvidclif
    replied
    Day 1 safely in the log. Keep trucking, safely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X