Round Two - Home again at South Llano River State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Two - Home again at South Llano River State Park

My third trip with the new to me TT was a return to SLRSP for a week stay before Thanksgiving. We were surprised to run into a couple we met five years ago while hosting at the park in 2014 and having a reunion with two former volunteers from back then. We also saw a couple we met in September at Inks Lake.

The turkeys were hard to find this trip but there were armadillos everywhere. The hiking trails in the hills are in great shape and I enjoyed a night hike and brilliant night sky. The park is a designated IDA Dark Sky Park https://www.darksky.org/texas-south-...dark-sky-park/ One unique thing on this trip was watching a female Blackbuck, in a neighboring exotic ranch, deliver a fawn. We just happened to passby at the right moment. In addition, we saw plenty of Whitetail deer, feral hogs and a couple of foxes.

One note about the park staff: I noticed on a prior post about the park a reference to someone getting a ticket for being loud. The same law enforcement ranger from 2014 is still there and he's a fair person but doesn't put up with much. If you persist in violating the law you'll be ticketed. That's the kind of law enforcement I want to see happen when camping. Quiet time starts at 10PM.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JPT51; 12-01-2019, 06:26 AM.
    Jay

2002 MS 2750
    2500HD Silverado 6.0L gas
    Love the Tetons!

Note the hillside scar from the highway in the first and last picture. It's the same location. That gives you an idea of how large the park is and I was only halfway deep into the trail in the hills. If you like to hike, this is a great place. A few spots are steep but there are plenty that are easy to moderate routes, especially along the river.
    Jay

2002 MS 2750
    Love the Tetons!

Comment

we thoroughly enjoy visiting Texas Hill Country .... we've passed through but never camped so far west .... thanks for the pictures and comments .... how is the new camper working out ?
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Excellent - thanks for asking Jim. I've been blessed when buying both trailers. I lucked into a 2002 Mobile Scout 2750 in 2003 and this time I stumbled on a 2015 KZ Vision. Both were in like new condition.

The smaller, Vision 19 RB took a bit getting used to but we're traveling light. Experience has taught us what essentials to bring and when possible, we're spending time outside. The DW is doing her part, deciding she can live with leaving her sewing machine at home.

Hope you've had a chance to drive from Median to Leakey and on the Twisted Sisters. Personally, I like Hwy 335 best of the three but there all good. https://ridermagazine.com/2013/07/08...t-famous-trio/
        Jay

2002 MS 2750
        Love the Tetons!

Comment

Originally posted by JPT51 View Post
          Hope you've had a chance to drive from Median to Leakey and on the Twisted Sisters. Personally, I like Hwy 335 best of the three but there all good. https://ridermagazine.com/2013/07/08...t-famous-trio/

haven't had a chance to run them but I have no doubt it would be fun driving Maureen's Camaro .... don't know how much fun it would be in our Sportchassis
          Jim
          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
          X