2020 Trip to South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Trip to South Dakota

the following trip plan is very much a work in progress that will take a few months to complete .... it is posted here so I can keep track .... as plans change so will the info given in this post ....

June 9 .... home to Petro Truckstop located at NC I-85/40 Exit 157 .... 1 hr 9 min (60 miles)

June 9 .... Petro Truckstop to Soaring Eagle Campground (reserved 1-22-20) in Lenoir City, TN .... this will be our first time we have visited this campground and our longest day's drive for the entire trip ... 5 h 21 min (344 mi)

June 10 .... leave Soaring Eagle and travel to Duck Creek RV Park (reserved 1-22-20) in Paducah, KY …. the first time camped here was 2007, the most recent was in 2016 .... related thread ....4 h 6 min (282 mi)

June 11 .... fuel stop Petro Truckstop located at I-57 & I-64, Exit 95, Mt Vernon, IL 62864 (726 miles from last fuel stop)

June 11 .... leave Duck Creek and travel to Cottowood RV Park (reserved 1-22-20) in Columbia, MO .... related thread .... 4 h 26 min (300 mi)

June 12 .... leave Cottonwood RV Park and travel to On-Ur-Wa RV Park ( reserved 4-23-20) in Onawa, IA.... we've camped here once, back in 2009 .... related thread .... 5 h 30 min (370 mi)

June 13 .... fuel stop TA Truckstop MO I-70 exit 28 301 SW 1st St, Oak Grove, MO 64075

June 13 .... leave On-Ur-Wa and travel to Estelline, SD .... related thread .... reservation confirmed 12-28-19.... 2 h 49 min (198 mi) .... travel time 23 hr 34 min / distance from home (1,538 miles)

August 17 .... leave Estelline and travel to On-Ur-Wa RV Park ( reserved 4-23-20) Onawa, IA .... related thread ....2 h 49 min (198 mi)

August 18 …. leave On-Ur-Wa and travel to KC East Trailside RV Park & Campground (reserved 12-31-19) Grain Valley, MO .... this will be our first time we have visited this campground .... 3 h 59 min (265 mi)

August 21 .... leave KC East Trailside RV Park and travel to .... St Louis West KOA (reserved1-22-20) Eureka, MO .... 3 h 26 min (214 miles)

August 23 .... leave St Louis West KOA and travel to Clarksville RV Park (reserved1-22-20) Clarksville, TN.... 4 h 16 min (290 miles)

August 24 .... leave Clarksville RV Park and travel to East Asheville KOA, (reserved1-22-20) Swannanoa, NC .... 5 h 20 min (350 mi)

August 25 .... leave East Asheville KOA Asheville and travel home.... 3 h 56 min (242 miles)
    Last edited by JEBar; 06-11-2020, 10:43 PM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

received the pictures below earlier today .... they were taken this morning in Estelline .... they serve as a vivid reminder of why we don't leave home and head in that direction this time of year ....
    Jim
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

as can be seen in the updated opening post in this thread, we just booked KC East Trailside RV Park and Campground .... we tried to book a site there last year for us during a gathering of folks from the Henry Owners Forum but it was full and we ended up staying at the KC East KOA .... nice to know that will not be an issue this year
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

what better thing to do on a rainy day sitting in our camper than to plan our next trip .... accordingly post one in this thread has been modified and updated
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

a major item on our pretrip check list was taken care of this morning .... that being new front tires for our truck .... the tires were bought through our membership in the Family Motor Coach Association and installed by Colony Tire of Raleigh .... the folks at Colony tire sure didn't have much in the way of business while I was there .... from there I drove over to Freightliner of Raleigh to pickup a set of tow hooks to install on the front of our Sportchassis .... unfortunately, they ordered the wrong ones so a reorder is underway ....
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Maureen made our final campground site reservations earlier today ....
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

those who followed our most recent trip to Texas may recall we got stuck twice and required a short tow both times .... there aren't any tow hooks on the front of our Sportchassis (picture 1) .... consequently, connecting a winch cable to it is difficult to do without damaging the bumper .... on our way home from Texas we camped with a couple who were driving a newer Sportchassis with tow hooks (pictures 2 & 3) .... a little over a week ago I called the local Freightliner dealer and ordered a set .... naturally , when I went to pick them up, they wouldn't fit .... the fellow I worked with promised to do some research and reorder .... just got word that he had to go to someone back at the factory and has been promised a correct set will be shipped .... they should be here next Thursday .... once they arrive, getting our sons to install them will be next item on our agenda
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

the new tires on our truck that were mentioned above
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

the first picture below shows the carrier behind our camper on August 20, 2019 .... it was taken at a truckstop located on I-40 just east of Knoxville .... the second picture shows the broken area .... the third shows the carrier last week when we dropped it off for repair .... the rest show the carrier when I picked it up a few hours ago and with it mounted behind our camper .... the last pictures show a recently purchased stabilizer .... the shop really beefed up the carrier .... the hitch bar is solid steel .... heavy steel reinforcement plates have been added .... one can be seen in the 5th picture on the front of the riser .... this checks off another major item on our Have To Get Done list
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I would reverse the anti rattle clamp so it's pulling down not up. Think about it.
                    Clif and Millie
                    Mabank, TX (sorta)
                    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
                    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

I've been thinking at that .... the loops where safety chains are supposed to be hooked complicate the way the clamp can be attached .... I plan to get out there and take another look
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Nice fix. Under the category of eliminating bounce / rattle in a carrier like this...
                        Once saw a guy that welded steel loops onto the sides of the hitch bar (near the top of the triangles they put on your hitch). After that, he used two turnbuckles from those loops down to his safety chain loops.

Should have taken a picture...
                        Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                        2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                        Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

revised stabilizer mounting .... as discussed above, with this mode of mounting, the stabilizer is pulling down on the carrier's hitch .... also as noted, the rings for attaching safety chains change the dynamics .... the gap the U-bolt has to cover is longer .... so much so that there isn't room add a locking nut .... hopefully, the lock washer will be sufficient .... one bonus of this change is the carrier sits a bit more level
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

No way I'd trust that to regular lock washers. Order a longer u-bolt --- Grade 8.
                            Then you can use lock nuts and also have no concern about the stresses being put on the u-bolt itself. If bouncing up and down sheared the hitch bar... what do you think it will do to a low grade ubolt?

A lesson you taught me... "fix it stronger than original"
                            Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                            2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                            Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              A lesson you taught me... "fix it stronger than original"

here is a link to the stabilizer we are using .... a philosophy with which I agree .... I have no clue as to the grade of the bolt .... I may go back and see if I there are enough exposed threads to hold the second nuts ....
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                              X