Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    our truck's OEM Pioneer entertainment system just quit .... I have an appointment with a local shop next week to look it over and let me know what will be involved in replacing it

Leave a comment:

• Cat320
    replied
    I would love to find some independent garage for maintenance. There is a Mom and Pop just across the border in OK who do my oil changes and chassis lube....they just raised their rates from $65 to $75 an hour...this coach is very hard to service, so they don't do fuel filters. Also, they like me in the shop so I can remind them where the hard to find lube fittings are. Agree re the Freightliner parts...in fact tomorrow I'm going to pick up a chassis air cleaner (as they call it, not an air filter). It is very hard to put in. I can see where it mates with the chassis or touch where it mates with the chassis, but can't do both at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by Cat320 View Post
    I do my best to avoid Freightliner.
    understood and completely agree .... we have found an independent garage near where we go in Texas and one we've used for many nears near our home .... haven't found one near where we spend our time in South Dakota .... we have had work done a couple of times at a Freightliner garage off the beaten path in a small town in South Dakota that has treated us well .... the independent mechanics I've spoken with do (for the most part) recommend Freightliner replacement parts .... all of them have said the after market parts available simply aren't as well made

Leave a comment:

• Cat320
    replied
    I do my best to avoid Freightliner. They don't take appointments, charge an extra $25 to work on a MH rather than a truck, our's is an "Oasis" dealer who is supposed to have trained MH mechanics....who couldn't even find the computer plug in, spent eight hours in the waiting room last visit even though I called ahead and they said there was no waiting, tried to charge 10% of the bill for 'shop supplies' ($40). Couple of months ago we had a break down on the road, our friendly Freightliner dealer out west said they would be happy to look at our engine....in 18 days.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    trip update :

as noted, during our return trip the truck's electric engine cooling fan failed .... in addition, activating the truck's air assisted parking brake resulted in the sound of a metal on metal squeal .... we took the truck to the local repair facility we use on Tuesday .... today is Thursday and we just received a call that the truck has been repaired .... they had to replace the big cooling fan and the fan clutch .... as always, doing so the cost of going with Freightliner parts proved to be expensive ... make that very expensive ... oh well, if they last as long as the originals, someone else will have to worry about it

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    thank you

Leave a comment:

• Parcany
    replied
    Glad you made it home safely

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    well, our 2022 South Dakota trip is now history .... there well no doubt be some post trip comments but for the most part, not much new news will surface .... our last day's drive from just east of Asheville to our home took us 4 hrs 55 min to cover 263.7 miles .... our entire trip covered 4,631.2 miles .... biggest issue to develop with our camper, having to replace its front AC .... biggest issue to develop with our truck has yet to be determined

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    well, we are home .... this morning I spoke with the folks at the repair shop and they said they could work our truck in for diagnostics to find the problem late today or earl tomorrow morning .... from there they would schedule it for repairs as soon as necessary parts could be purchased .... from there I spoke to a mobile tech who told me much the same thing .... we discussed it and decided to head home ..... we'd nursed it from eastern Tennessee to Western NC yesterday and figured we could get it home ... that turned out to be the case ....doing so required opening the windows and running the heater wide open .... lets just say we are both pretty well drained .... she'll be in the shop Monday, hope whatever they find turns out to be minor

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Wow. That's a story.... hope the truck is fixed quickly.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    sitting by the phone waiting for the call from the repair shop .... if they can't fix it today, we are going to try and limp it home

Leave a comment:

• norty
    replied
    Oh Man! What a day. Sure glad to hear you were not left on the side of the road. We were thinking of riging over there to say hello but we are leaving today to head home for a unplanned family gathering.

Sure hope you can get that fan fixed quickly.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    well, we prefer boring drives and, thankfully, until today all of our drives on this trip have been .... that string snapped today during our 6 hr 38 min, 370.2 mile drive .... I-24 coming into Nashville has 2 lanes in both directions .... we were in the right hand, east bound lane running in a pretty good size pack of vehicles .... they were all passing us and the flow of traffic was smooth .... a small rollback wrecker a vehicle tied down on its bed and a second being towed backwards with the rear wheels off the ground and the front nose down passed us .... he had to be running 70 or better mph .... after getting a few vehicles ahead of us in the inside lane, smoke started boiling out from under the vehicle being towed .... the surrounding drivers all started taking totally uncoordinated evasive actions ..... lets just say its a minor miracle that nobody made contact ..... no clue how many long seconds later there were a total of 8 or so vehicles between us and the rollback ..... when sparks began to fly out from under the towed vehicle all of them hit the brakes .... as the rollback pulled away the sparks changed to flames .... much to my dismay nobody tried to get to the rollback to warn the driver ..... by then other drivers were running on both left and right shoulders .... when it became evident that none were going to try and alert the driver, I tried my best to weave our rig through to where I could get a clear path to him .... by the time we broke free wind pushed flames were shooting out of the entire front of the vehicle .... my efforts to catch the rollback ended the instant burning chunks of rubber hoses, tires and who knows what else begin flying across the interstate ..... it was then that the driver slammed on the brakes and headed for the right shoulder .... I saw him literally jump out of his truck, grab an extinguisher and run toward the fire .... that was the last I saw .... there is no doubt in my mind that his fire extinguisher wasn't anywhere near large enough to handle the fire

later on I-40 in the gorge between Knoxville and Asheville, our truck's electric motor fan that kicks in when the engine temp hits 200 degrees on a long pull stopped working .... never had a problem with it before .... the gorge has steep grades and almost nowhere to pull off the road .... had to fall back on an old standby .... open the windows, shut down the truck's AC, set the heater to blow the hottest possible temp and lower the engine coolant through manipulating the heater fan .... that was tough .... made it to the East Asheville KOA .... parked our camper, auto leveled it, hooked up the electric and took off in our truck to an independent garage we've used in years past .... they were closing for the day .... took all the info and will call us in the morning ..... if they can't work it in, they will try to find a mobile repair service for us

yep, far from a boring day
    Last edited by JEBar; 08-24-2022, 02:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    our next to last day's 350 miles / 5 hr 38 min drive is slated to the Asheville East KOA Swannanoa, NC .... almost all interstate driving, the vast majority on I-40 .... it will take us across the spine of the Blue Ridge Mountains .... we do lose an hour when we reenter the Eastern Time Zone .... hate to see this trip come to an end but am sure ready for the drive to be over

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    today's drive from Eureka, MO to Clarksville, TN took us 5 hr 23 min to cover 308.1 miles which included 1 brief rest stop .... all in all, it went well .... no major slowdowns, overall traffic wasn't too bad .... tomorrow's drive to just east of Asheville, NC will be about 50 miles further and include a fuel stop .... 2 more driving days and then we can start the process of getting our equipment and ourselves back into our normal routine

Leave a comment:

Working...
X