Camp Perry- Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Perry- Ohio

David and I went camping at the national guard base Camp Perry in June.
    It's open to the public. The base is located right on Lake Erie.
    They had roughly 40 full hook up sites. Back in. The sites were paved/black top and were long enough for our 44 ft 5th wheel and our truck to fit in the site.
    and the road was wide enough to make backing in very easy.
    Cost was reasonable.https://cplcc.com/recreational-vehicle-camp/

The good, bad and ugly.
    First this is an active duty National guard base so they hold drill weekends and such so its not out of the ordinary to hear gun fire.
    The laundry room was clean and washer and dryers were in working order and had A/C.
    They have a private "beach" however its crushed shells and not easy to walk on barefoot, however if you have small kids its great b/c you can walk 100 yards and the water is still 5 ft or less.
    They have a pier that juts out into the lake and while we did walk it, we also saw a danger noodle so be aware thats a thing. I also gave the guns in the guard tower something to talk about as I did the craziest chicken dance upon seeing the danger noodle. (no David does not have any video evidence)
    The weather was very nice for June, however the water was colder then I expected but apparently thats normal.
    Bugs, y'all I have never in my life seen so many bugs swarm an RV like I did on day 3&4 of our camping trip. One of the other locals said they were called fish flies and having that many seemed like a good thing b/c that means pollution in the lake is down. They look like small dragonflies And they don't have mouths. So they dont bite so thats a plus.
    They also have house/cabin rentals.
    If you have a pet it isn't allowed anywhere but the RV park. But the park is shipped in a large loop and if you walk it 4 times thats prob about a mile. It also seemed like those that were staying long term 1 month or longer were grouped together, and were in the shaded area with more mature trees and those staying short periods (the weekend) were grouped together and we happened to be the only ones in our row so I assume that was the row for those staying 1 week.

if you have kids they have a drive through safari where you feed the animals from your car. They also have a small walk though area where you can see a few dozen animals such as monkeys, birds, turtles, an albino alligator, a lemur, wild hogs, peacocks and other small bites in a walk in enclosed area where you can feed and walk with the peacocks.
    Port Clinton, Sandusky are some of the closest towns. The campground is about a 10 min drive to the boat service to take you to putt in bay.

David and I both think we will visit again. I have friends that live in the Detroit and Ann Arbor area in Michigan and it was a nice option right on the water.
    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

outstanding .... I really enjoy reading campground evaluations from our folks .... thanks for posting it
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Working...
    X