Flight 93 Memorial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight 93 Memorial

While in Pennsylvania, we visited the Flight 93 Memorial. It was a very moving experience. The picture of the dark walkway approaching the visitor center (which is on a hill above the crash site) represents the shadow of the plane, whose flight path went directly over that line. The walkway passes thru the stark visitor center and ends at an overlook of the Memorial Wall and crash site in the distance. The photo of the Memorial Wall, which runs along the plane's flight path, looks back up the hill toward the visitor center, and continues the dark walkway representing the flight path of the plane. The victim's names are on the wall panels. At the end of the wall is a bronze gate which leads to the crash site. Only family members are allowed to pass through the gate and approach the crash site. The fourth picture was taken from the visitor center, where the memorial wall and gate is in the distance, with the crash site in the field beyond where the large boulder has been placed. The grove of trees has a large empty area where they were burned away due to the fire resulting from the crash.
    Walkway to Visitor Center. Memorial Wall containing the names of the victims. Gate leading to crash site.
    2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
    2013 Ford F250 6.7 PS Diesel Lariat Crew

listening to you guys talk about this Memorial really brought it home to us .... we hope to get there one day
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I imagine this this place is much like a few other national monuments and historical places where (as I say), you are not the same person leaving as you were when you arrived.
      In my belief... that is a very good thing.

Places I have had this direct experience...
      (inside the US)
      - Vietnam Wall
      - USS Arizona
      - Mount Rushmore
      - Ground Zero
      - Our local 9/11 Memorial (because I could actually touch a beam from the 96th floor of the North Tower)
      - Arlington National Cemetary
      - Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
      - Gettysburg battlefield

(outside the US)
      - Dachau concentration camp

Priority on my "bucket list" that I still need to see and expect the same reaction...
      - Normandy
      Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
      2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
      sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
      Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

We visited the Vietnam Wall, Tomb of the Unknown, and ANC when we made the Run For the Wall May 2010. The Wall had the biggest impact. I was not prepared for the real thing. It's nothing like the pictures.
        Clif and Millie
        Mabank, TX (sorta)
        2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
        2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
          I was not prepared for the real thing. It's nothing like the pictures.
          Very humbling indeed...

Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
          2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
          sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
          Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X