Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park -- West Memphis, AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park -- West Memphis, AR

Today's objective was to make it to Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park in West Memphis, Arkansas. We pulled in about 1:00. If you exit on MLK Jr. drive, it will take you right to the park. If, however, you follow your GPS and exit a couple of exits earlier, you will be taken through a pretty rough part of town and then an industrial part of town, before getting to the road to TSMRRVP. Once here, it is a really nice place. There are three sections of the park. Section 1 is in the trees and the sites seem to be back-ins. Sections 2 and 3 are closest to the river and are all pull-thrus. The 10 sites in the row closest to the river in both sections have concrete pads. The other rows are level gravel. All the sites are huge and have excellent views of the river and the approaching tug boats and barges. All sites have 30 & 50 amp, water, and sewer. The WIFI is included and BOY!! is it fast!!

I could live at this place! It is sooooo peaceful. With the Good Sam discount, I paid $32.50 for tonight. I've enclosed a couple of pictures.
    Attached Files
    Joe and Debbie Gilbert
    On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
    Catch me if you can!!

Hey Joe,

We stayed there a few years ago. We were only there one night. I liked how we were ten paces from falling in the river. Great view!

Did the owners say anything about this year's floods? The park is on the wrong side of the levee as you have noticed. I've wondered how they made out.

Our GPS was ok. The closed ramp onto I-55 in Memphis wasn't. As we were driving looking for another ramp, all I could think of was Chevy Chase in Vacation getting off the Interstate in a bad section of town.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BC Jim; 10-16-2011, 03:35 AM.
    Jim & Delores
    2005 30RKFS
    2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
    Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

They came through the floods okay. They lost one bath house. It is still somewhat vertical, but cannot be used. It leans at about a 40 degree angle.

I noticed that most of the water spigots are leaning towards downriver. It is a beautiful place still.

Joe
      Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
      Catch me if you can!!

Comment

I have heard good things about this place. We tried to stay there last spring, but it was under water. I'll give it another try.
        DZWISS
        Ford 2011 F350 6.7 PSD, Titan 50 Gal. fuel tank
        2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27 FB
        Cavco Park Model in AZ

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." Will Rogers

Comment

We stayed at that CG a few years ago and loved it. I was wondering if they had to replace all the electrical hookups at the sites? I imagine that it would be relatively easy to sterilize the water taps and piping, but it would be a much bigger deal making all the electrical components and wiring safe to use.

Comment

I believe the biggest issue was cleaning the mud off everything.

Joe
            Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
            Catch me if you can!!

Comment

Flooding is not new to them. It happens frequently. I'm sure they have the drying out process down pat.
              DZWISS
              Ford 2011 F350 6.7 PSD, Titan 50 Gal. fuel tank
              2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27 FB
              Cavco Park Model in AZ

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by dzwiss View Post
                Flooding is not new to them. It happens frequently. I'm sure they have the drying out process down pat.
                Yes, I bet the circuit breakers don't get old at this park. They're probably pretty good at replacing them. A little power washing on the receptacles and they're good to go.

I bet the park is a sight to see after the river receeds. The Mississippi isn't called the Big Muddy for nothing.
                Jim & Delores
                2005 30RKFS
                2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
                Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

I will have to agree with everyonethis is one awesome Park. We stayed there one night only, but it is a great place. We took lots of pictures of the river and right now I cannot find them. I think they are on a memory stick, and by the way. Our GPS did take us through the rough areas:snapshot:

Comment

We hope to stay here again on the trip back with the new rig. I will ask for one of the concrete sites so I can take a great picture for some new full timer business cards. Perhaps if I get real lucky, a tug boat with some barges will pick that time to cross in front of my lens too.

Joe
                    Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                    Catch me if you can!!

Comment

Joe,on your way back thru Arkansas you ought to spend the night at Maumelle Park in LR.....beautiful COE Camp Grounds on the Arkansas River next to the LR Yacht Club full hookups new baths and showers....very close in town.... I-40 thru NLR..... take I-430 S across river bridge........ take the first right (Cantrell Rd.) after river bridge continue west on Cantrell Rd. a few miles follow signs...safe travels...
                      Last edited by sailbls; 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM.
                      Bobby and Debbie
                      N5NJZ
                      2012 Dodge 2500 SLT CC CTD 4X4 6speed auto.
                      2013 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
                      Bryant,Arkansas :salute:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sailbls View Post
                        Joe,on your way back thru Arkansas you ought to spend the night at Maumelle Park in LR.....beautiful COE Camp Grounds on the Arkansas River next to the LR Yacht Club full hookups new baths and showers....very close in town.... I-40 thru NLR..... take I-430 S across river bridge........ take the first right (Cantrell Rd.) after river bridge continue west on Cantrell Rd. a few miles follow signs...safe travels...
                        Wow, Bobby, that sounds nice. We may just do that.

Joe
                        Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                        Catch me if you can!!

Comment

Originally posted by sailbls View Post
                          Camped there many many times, one of our favorites, one of the best COEs we have visited. But, have never had full hookup, only W/E (unless sewers added in the last few months). The are a few full hookups reserved for families visiting medical facilities/hospitals in Little Rock.

Was there last year in the spring when several large trees fell on several motorhomes and RVs during a sever thunderstorm. Two fell parallel to our coach, but no damage!

The A section on the river is great.

Milton
                          sigpic
                          2011 Glacier Bay 320RL
                          2004 SunnyBrook Mobile Scout 2750--SOLD
                          2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9L
                          K5PAW (OM), K5AVX (XYL)

Comment

We arrived here yesterday and will be here for three days. We love this park!! I don't think I mentioned that the washers and dryers use are free. Since our Splendide is on the fritz, we will be taking advantage of their use tomorrow. Perfect weather. It was 70 degrees today and is supposed to be the same tomorrow.

I've enclosed a few more pictures. The first two are the view out our big back window. There is also one of an interesting full timer's rig.........a Westpointe, a big rig truck, and the smart car that rides on the back of the truck.

Joe
                            Attached Files
                            Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                            Catch me if you can!!

Comment

That is interesting.
                              Triple axle trailer should be lighter pin weight, and he has both axles on the tv.
                              Maybe he just put together what was handy.
                              Or a dual use tv.
                              He has room for a living room behind that cab.

And for you,
                              its not everyday you get a view like that from your living room.
                              Lee
                              Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                              Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                              04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                              07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                              16K Pullrite Super Slide
                              2006 Excel 30RSO
                              All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X