Interstate Driving CO to UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate Driving CO to UT

We are thinking about heading to Salt Lake City after our Denver stay in June. How is the drive on I-80 - anything we should be concerned about?
    Thanks,
    Z
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

If you are planning on taking US 287 through Fort Collins to Laramie, there is construction just north of Fort Collins that is sometimes difficult, but all the truckers use that cutoff. If you plan that route, let me know and I will give you more info.

I-80 will very likely have some miles of construction where you are running 2 lanes on one side of the interstate while they rebuild the other. 15 or 20 miles.

When you get past Green River WY near Evanston there are 2 or 3 quite steep up and down hill stretches of 2 or 3 miles that are 3 lanes for the heavily loaded trucks to have a climbing lane.

I-80 is the major east west truck route through that area so you will have a lot of big rigs, with some double and triple trailers for company.

It can be windy out across Wyoming from Laramie to Utah, but it's usually not bad unless you happen to get caught in a storm.

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

I-80 is fine, just a lot of semi's. The winds can be fierce on I-80 through Wyoming. That's normal for them, but it was not for me. Not unsafe, just a beating for the driver to constantly correct.
      Russell
      '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
      '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
      Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
      '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Thanks. This helps. We have reservations in Golden, so I-80 is convenient. We were also considering the I-70 route, but it looked like it would take a little longer, although I haven't gotten around to mapping it that direction yet.
        Z
        Dan & Zerelda Hammer
        Pensacola, FL
        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I've driven both numerous times and both are good. I-70 is much more scenic, however, there is Vale pass and the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel to traverse - both at or over 11,000 feet.

When you get into Utah on I-70, I would recommend taking US 6 through Price UT into the southern side of SLC. However that route does require climbing a low pass "Soldier Summit". You could also continue on to US 50 and take that to I-15, then north into SLC. Staying on I-70 to I-15 will put you quite a distance south on I-15.

If you have time and want to see some of Colorado's really good mountain scenery, I'd do I-70. If you just want to get from Golden to SLC, then I-25 & I-80 will be the best choice.

John
          LaPorte, Colorado
          2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Thanks.
            Dan & Zerelda Hammer
            Pensacola, FL
            SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
            2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
            X