McKinney Campground - Acworth, GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McKinney Campground - Acworth, GA

Just a few miles off I-75 in Acworth, GA, is a nice Corp of Engineer campground. It is a typical, although older, COE CG that looks very much like a lot of state parks. The roads are paved, but are a tad narrow on the loop where we camped, not really objectionable though. The roads twist and wind through the other loop, however, and I don't think I'd want to take anything larger than a 30-footer (or so) through there, but I'm sure if you're careful enough it can be done. There are some really nice sites over there. I like the long "private" site that goes all the way out on a point (pictured), and site 108 is very nice as well. The sites are gravel/dirt. It looks like they've recently added more gravel to all of the sites that were open for winter camping. One side of the campground was closed, but we took our bicycles over there, and I took a few pictures. There is a picture of Dan sitting outside painting in one of my more recent posts, but I've also included one here on the day we were getting ready to pull out. Some of the sites on the other side are split level; you park the rig on the site, and the deck with the picnic table is down a few steps, sort of hanging out over the ledge. There were not any like that on the loop we were on though. There are pull-throughs and back-ins from which to choose, and as with a lot of campgrounds, sites that range from nearly level to interesting. Some of the back-in sites on the water dip to the back, but if you can pull far enough back, you can be fairly level.

We had 50-amp service and water hook-up. The dump station is on the way out, just before you get to the front gate.

The bath house that was on our loop was quite a walk, not really convenient to a lot of the sites, which, of course, doesn't matter if you use your own. The laundry room is also there, with older, but a clean washer and dryer.

We camped in site 55, which was very nice, but would have been even nicer if there had actually been water in the cove. We did notice that there were two sites that would not be good for anything in which the rear end might have a tendency to drag. I think one was 47 and the other 57, although I don't remember for sure. I just remember that they were close to our site.

There is a really nice grocery store just a few miles from the campground (Ingles, I think).

We like state park-style settings, so if we are ever in need of a campground in this particular area again, we would camp here again.

A word of caution: If you are heading north on I-75, make sure you turn right at the end of the ramp! If you are heading south, turn left. If you turn the wrong way, it is very difficult to find a place to turn around. You do not want to get into the small downtown area of Acworth with the rig.

Zerelda
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rvduo; 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM. Reason: added information
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

McKinney COE

Zerelda's write-up on the park is very accurate, we are set up on site 130 and it and the other sites on our loop are excellent sites. The sites are quite large with plenty of space in between. The patio has a rail around it and is flat with pea gravel on it. We drove thru most of the loops and there are many, many beautiful sites here. Here are some current photos, the last one taken out my window at sun-up.
    Attached Files
    Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
    2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
    Previously:
    2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the campground.
      Z
      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
      Pensacola, FL
      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS