COE Campground Lake Lanier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COE Campground Lake Lanier

Has anyone camped at the COE campgrounds on Lake Lanier just outside Atlanta?
    Zerelda
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

If this is Old Federal CG on Lake Lanier you are referring to I hear it is very good, however we have not yet tried it.
    Bud
    Bud and Liz
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually
    2004 Carriage Compass 30RLS
    B&W Companion, Tru Control
    Schnauzer- Sir Winston

Comment

If I could get in, I would go for it!. All those COE CG's are pretty good but I have not stayed on Lanier.
      2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
      06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
      16K DrawTite, LineX
      His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
      Elle and BJ

In the past:
      97 27RKFS SB
      04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

We stayed at the one near Flowery Branch ("Chestnut Ridge" I think) in early April, 2008, for two nights. Very nice, although the water was very low; I understand it is up somewhat this year but still below "normal."

Lots of sites are on wooded loops, and most are along the water (but well uphill). Nice views and quiet.
        Attached Files

Comment

Lake Lanier COE - Bald Ridge Campground

We camped at Lake Lanier, Bald Ridge Campground at the end of our trip. This was our base while we were near Atlanta. I'll try not to turn this into a terribly long missive.

The campground offers gravel & paved sites, no shade, partial shade, or shaded sites. 30 amp service. Clean bathrooms. I wouldn't put anything important in the W/D, although I suppose they were clean enough. Maybe it's a woman thing. There are only two on the campground though. One near sites 5-6. I think the other was over by sites 60 & 73. We had site #14 gravel, nice view of the lake. There was a tree in the middle of the site though, and we couldn't use our awning. :dunno: I don't know why campgrounds insist on leaving trees in the middle of sites. Site number 27 is a really nice site, except for the two trees right in the middle. If you have no slides and don't want to use your awning, it's a great site.

There's a nice little swimming area. We saw grandparents sitting at #39 watching the kids play in the swimming area right from their CS.

Sites 61, 63, 65, 67, 68 - nice pull-throughs, but they're in the middle of a circle with others around the outside of you. Not much shade, if at all.

Sites 1-10 (paved back-in sites) on the lake, with varying views - on the main road though, with lots of traffic. I think it was #1 that had the view obscured by reeds. #10 is a really nice partially shaded site if you don't mind all the traffic going by.

Anything you might need to shop for is in a small town just a few miles down the road in Cumming. There is also the greatest little new & used book store in an old house at the edge of the shopping center across the side road of where Hobby Lobby is. The GPS sent us to the HL shopping center, but it's in the next shopping center over. We had to call the book store to find her. Humpty Dumpty is sitting on the lawn, and the people were all very nice. We stayed and visited and shopped and spent a lot more money than we had planned on.

Here is what we did while we were in the area:

Pickett's Mill Battlefield - If you're interested in the Civil War, this is a great place to stop. There is a small museum & orientation video to see at the visitor center. Then you can walk one (or more) of several trails. We hiked the three-mile trail with the flyer that tells what happened at each stop. The area is still wooded, and you can almost feel what it must have been like during the war. After we got back to the visitor center, we watched the video again. They have re-enactments there, but I don't know what time of year they do that.

Coca-Cola Museum - for kids - not much for adults. We did enjoy the very small section about artists who use Coca-Cola in their art, and about 10 minutes of Coke commercials from around the world. There is a tasting room where you can try any of the Coke products from around the world. There are a couple of videos (geared to kids, but mildly entertaining) to watch. There was a small section that shows how Coke is bottled, and you get a free bottle to take with you. And if you want to pay the price, you can have your picture taken w/the Coke Polar Bear. I thought $15 each (w/discount) was too much for something with not enough substance. There was very little information about the history, and I thought there would be more memorabilia around to look at. All in all, a disappointment, but we went there because we were told we had to go.

Rhodes Hall (as in Rhodes Furniture) on the north edge of Atlanta - didn't cost very much, and the gal that took us through didn't rush. She also let us wander around as much as we wanted on the first floor. If you like old homes, this was a good one to see. Also, pay the extra money to go up into the top of the "castle" and go outdoors to see across Atlanta.

Bulloch Hall & Smith Plantation (in Roswell on the outskirts of Atlanta)- These two were interesting enough, but not at interesting as some homes we've toured. The tours are about 45 min each, and you are locked outside until it's time for the tour. The one thing that was interesting is that you can use your cell phone to dial up a number, and then you press the number of the "stop" to find out about the different things around the plantation such as the gardens or the slave quarters. It's a great way to have audio w/o the tour guide. There are actually three homes that you can package together for a reduced rate, but their hours are so short that you really can't see them all in one day. However, I think the lady said you have three days to see them all.

High Art Museum - I was very disappointed in the museum...a lot of space and not much art. They had a temporary Monet exhibit, but only six pieces. What kind of exhibit is that???? They had a few pieces that were interesting to us, but we've been in better art museums than this one (Columbia, SC for example - and we got a guide here - and the one in Augusta, GA where we had the audio wand).

DeKalb Farmer's Market (Decatur, a suburb, I guess of Atlanta) - This place is awesome! I'd heard that you had to go and at least look around, but I'm glad I needed to shop. My heart sank though when I saw that the parking lot was so full that they had people directing traffic. I already started thinking about how crowded it would be inside. But at least on the day we were there, even though it was crowded, people were polite, trying not to bump into each other. I have never seen SO much stuff all in one place. Every imaginable fruit & vegetable were for sale - some I didn't even know what they were. There was also a cheese section, a bread section, flowers, herbs & spices, wine, seafood, meat, and heaven knows what else. I wished I'd had time to just wander around and look. It was almost overwhelming. Check-out is fast despite the number of people. I didn't stop to count how many lines there were (lots), but there was never more than two or three in each line. I don't think these people don't speak much English, but they were pleasant enough. Warning - don't break up the bunches of bananas! I didn't see the sign until it was too late, and I thought that man stocking the area was going to reach over and slap my hand. He was nice about it though and let me take what I broke off.

One of Dan's cousins who lives in Gainesville, GA, came to have dinner w/us one night, and that was a nice evening. We hated to have to end the evening just before 10:30 when they lock the gate (and it stays locked until 7 a.m.).

Zerelda
          Attached Files
          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
          Pensacola, FL
          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Old Federal Campground

We are camped at Old Federal CG in Flowery Branch, GA, on Lake Lanier. We're in site 5, thankfully, a pull-through. It is sloped to the back by 1 degree, though. So unless you put your rig up on blocks, you have to live with it that way. Nice private "living room" though.

Some sites are "black-topped." (or whatever they call it these days) Some are part concrete. The "living pad" on most of the sites are some kind of small shell/gravel - nice sized places for eating/visiting.

If you have a larger rig, I would avoid the loop with sites 1-18. Down at the end of the circle, about sites 10-12, you're going around a very tight left curve (narrow road), where you can't see the road or the drop-off in front of you. With a smaller rig, you wouldn't have to swing so wide, and it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

With that said, the other loops are much easier to drive, and a lot of the sites are easier to get into - some back-in, some pull-through. The slope of the site, depends on the landscape. The following are sites we hope to use if we ever come back to this campground: 27, 43, 46, 56, 60, 69, 75. There are other nice sites, but these are the ones that would suit us (and Dan's antenna). I did notice a few of the handicap sites that are very nice too.

The washer/dryer on our loop is old, but clean, and it works. Bathrooms have been cleaned every day (we're across the road, and we see them working). I think it's safe to assume that the same holds true for the other loops.

Z
            Attached Files
            Dan & Zerelda Hammer
            Pensacola, FL
            SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
            2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

We have stayed at Old Federal. We stayed in site 66, had great view of the lake. Didn't have access to the water from our site, has a wall, had to walk down loop for access. One night during the week a local sail boat club does races in front of the campground, nice to watch.

The only issue we had was the turn around at the end of the loop. We have a 40' fiver and it looked to tight to try, probably could have made it, but ended up backing out of the loop. If they would cut down 1 tree in the turn around it wouldn't have been an issue, camp host said they were suppose to have done it already.

Overall a very nice COE and would go back.
              2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
              2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

On COE campgrounds. The ones we've stayed at locked the gates at 10 as noted but had an exit available 24 hrs. You just couldn't get back in until after 7AM.

Might ask....
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
                2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Old Federal locks the gate at 10:30 p.m. and opens again at 7 a.m.

Shoal Creek closes the gate, but you can get in and out on the other side of the gate house. It depends on the park.

We're not often out after dark anyway, but it's a good question to ask when checking into COE campgrounds.

Z
                  Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                  Pensacola, FL
                  SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                  2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
                  X